main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Group trip to MD Renaissance Festival on Saturday, 9/20/03

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jack_T_Chance, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    This is going to be a mighty gathering of pirate groupies.

And for those who don't know, the 19th is Talk Like A Pirate Day.

2. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Does that include posting here ;)

3. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Everywhere!!

4. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Yes, even here! Pirates will be everywhere! ARRRRRRR!

5. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    I wish I had the time and money to put together a pirate outfit. :(

6. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Hmmmm.....

Now this I might be able to go to afterall.

Is anyone planning to go in costume?

Can anyone pm me the details?

Can anyone offer me a place to crash since I am lazy and would rather not drive 4 hours back home after doing this?

I know I ask alot of questions!!! [face_laugh]

7. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Hehehe, no need to apologize.

Some of us are planning to go in costume (mostly pirate-y costume since it will be pirate weekend... ARRRR). How costumed I get will depend on the weather. :D The first post in this thread has links to info about the faire itself. I can't offer up crashing space (don't have any...), but I'm sure there is someone here who can!!

Also, does anyone have suggestions on where/when everyone should meet up. Looks like we are going to have a BIG group!

8. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I too plan to be costumy - I didn't buy that bodice to have it sit in my closet after all!!

I won't have any extra space since I've got someone visiting just for the faire!

I'd suggest we meet up at the Faire, early. Like, when it opens. I hate lines. I know we'll have a big group - including many non SW folks. I have at least 4 non SW friends who are going. Pirate weekend is cool!!

For those who don't make it early, we can set up times and places to meet throughout the day - particular jousts, that sort of thing.

9. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Good idea. We can set up a couple of meeting times incase some are running late and don't make it for the first meet-up. And I agree about arriving early! :D

10. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    I didn't buy that bodice to have it sit in my closet after all!!

You mean you've actually found your closet? ;)

Jousting during Pirate Weekend? ?[face_plain] I think thats a little out of theme. ;)

Unfortunately I cannot offer crashing space. As it turns out I have a friend coming to stay with me (no, not THAT friend) that weekend that I just found out about and don't know if I'll be going to the Ren Fair now. I'll have to find out if she's interested or not.

11. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Well if I can't find a place to crash at, I'll skip this trip too. No way am I driving 8 hours in one day!!!

I might be crazy but I'm not stupid!!! [face_laugh]

12. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Hey this is D.C. You can sleep on the streets here.

13. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
  14. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, having been to Ren Fest before, there's a couple good places to meet up:
    1) The large "square" in front of the ticket booths.
    2) The "square" just inside the gate once you go in.
    So, we can either meet before/while buying tickets, or just inside the gate after buying them. :)
    I doublechecked the hours. They're 10:30 AM - 7 PM. So, everyone shoot for 10:30. :)
    Then I'd say we should head back over by the gate around noon for late arrivals. :)

15. SallyOwens

SallyOwens Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    My recomendation for a meeting place (since I go every year far too many times :) is below the line of trees outside of the faire. IF you meet inside, I can guarentee mayhem :)

I also suggest appointing a sign maker, someone who can guarentee to be there early, and hold some sort of sign up high. Something cute. A big imperial symbol, for example. :)

16. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    1. Ken has a pirate flag we can meet under. Or, if that's going to be too common, we can use the Ventian flag. They were basically pirates. But that means meeting near my car since I don't think he wants to carry a flag all day. However, if we get there early, that'll be near the entrance.

2. Yes, I found the closet. However, I can't get to it. The bodice is still in the suitcase from DragonCon.

3. Jeff, tell your friend that there will be hot guys in ruffly pirate shirts saying "Avast!" and "prepare to be boarded!" and if she still doesn't want to come, leave her with Romeo and the remote control.

17. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    hot guys in ruffly pirate shirts.

I am SO there! :D

18. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Why am I not shocked that Ken has a pirate's flag.

Well, the 20th is out for me. This is just one more thing I don't have time to do on the 20th.

19. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    I also have a Pirates flag. Its the Skull and Cross Bones, rather than crossed swords, but it still qualifies as a Pirates flag.

I just don't know if my friend will want to do that. I'll ask and see what happens, otherwise I'll probably be missing this one, Mateys.

20. JediShaLee

JediShaLee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    OK Mates I am looking forward to the course laid out. Havin a point on the horizen to point the bow towards will be most appreciated!

21. JediShaLee

JediShaLee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    You know ken could wear the bodice and then we would all know where the group is by the crowd that would be gathering.

22. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    LOL, I am having D*C flashbacks!

23. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    No, I'm holding him to his belief that if he does it a third time, it's a lifestyle choice.

24. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    Hi there!
    Wow, good timing for me to get off my lazy butt and look up my local fanforce chapter!
    I live in Takoma Park, MD (just inside the beltway at about the 12:30 position), and I feel bad about my lurker-fandom status, so I'm trying to get more involved.

This seems like as good a time as any, because:

I WORK AT THE RENNAISSANCE FESTIVAL!

Which means I can get you ticket discounts (I'm not sure how many of you are coming- if you've got twenty, which is enough for the group discount, then I'm not sure my employee discount will stack. Short of that, though, and I can get you in for 12 bucks rather than 16). I ask only one thing in return, which is the pleasure of getting to meet you all when I'm off-shift. :D
    Pirate weekend is a good weekend to come. Also, everyone will think you're cool if you bring your own mug. I don't know why this is, it's just a thing: staff likes people who bring their own mugs (or goblets, or drinking horns, or what-have-you).

Things you absolutely should see while at the Faire:
    1. Go to a Pirates Royale Concert. Trust me, just do it.
    2. The Rogues. Hot guys, in kilts, proving that it's possible to make bagpipes sound cool.
    3. The Squire of the Wire. He's Hilarious.
    4. Fight School. It's not only funny, it's also informative. They teach you the history of swordsmanship through references to The Princess Bride, Fight Club, and, if memmory serves, Star Wars.

Ok, well, DRL beckons. Talk to you later.
    ~Roo

25. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Hi and welcome!

Good to know about bringing your own cups because my sister and I got some JUST for that reason! :D

I'm not sure how many people we have going, but a discount sounds quite good. (How could it not?) And it will be nice to meet another fan in the area! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.