main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Group trip to MD Renaissance Festival on Saturday, 9/20/03

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jack_T_Chance, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Welcome! At last, the Renn Faire connection we've all been wanting. If we don't get a chance to meet up before then, I hope we can work out a time to meet up at the Faire.

2. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Hi PadawanRoo! Speaking only for myself, I'll be glad to meet you at Ren Fest! :D
    We just need to figure out where and when to meet up with you. :)
    And that brings me to my next point:
    Being that the event is only a week away now, we need a final headcount ASAP.
    So, everyone who's DEFINITELY coming, post a confirmation. If you're bringing anyone else with you, state how many additional people.
    Myself, I'm bringing 1 additional person with me, so that'll be 2 people arriving in my landspeeder. :)
    And the floor is now open for the rest of youse. :)

3. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    My sister and I will be there.

I am also curious to see how many people will be going. I think we are going take over the place!

4. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm going, with Ken, and Moorglade from DB516. So that's 3 more. And Ken and I know of at least 4 more of our friends who are going that day as well (though not necessarily coming with us). It's true - geeks like pirates.

Now, everyone should just do an Anti-Isabel dance.

5. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    Well, I have to be in the gates at 9:45 AM to start work. So if you all want to meet me at about 9:30, I can get you in at a discount. The drawback is you have to show up an hour before opening, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to arrange a pic-up game of Sabaac outside the gate :0).

For those that have enver been there for opening, it's worth it. Cannons, kings, and great parking.

6. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    Cannons, kings and great parking, OH MY!

I will add two more, possibly three. Christa and her friend, Laurie, are going to be there. I'm doing my damndest to be there, but I'm scheduled to work that day. WISH ME LUCK!!!

About a place to stay, I have an extra room. Warning! It's our computer room, so there's no carpet. It's hardwood floors with a filing cabinet and bookshelves, but it's a place. If someone wants to brave it, I'll be happy to bring them to and from. Just bring your sleeping bags and, if you have them, sleeping pads. I can provide sleeping pads, but only two of them.

7. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Cannons? Cool! :D
    I need to point this out, because some may wonder:
    With the possibility of Hurricane Isabel causing unpleasant weather on the weekend, it should be pointed out that the MD Renaissance Festival opens rain or shine. So, if it looks like rain, bring a waterproof cloak or poncho or something, throw on some waterproof footwear, and come prepared for a wet, but otherwise fun time! :)

8. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    just a note on this: check for updates. Buzz in the grove is that faire WILL CLOSE if there's a serious threat, IE, if the hurricane touches down in that area and it's still a hurricane.

Rain's one thing, but all the roads to faire are in flood zones, and those of you that have attended faire before probably know that while the booths look nice, they'll never stand up to a hurricane. So I'll keep my ear to the ground, as it were, and tell you if I hear anything, but be on the lookout.

9. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    If it's not hurricaney, just raining, it's still loads of fun. You get that authentic medieval muddy feeling, yet with no pigs or garbage in the streets. And you can have fun watching anyone silly enough to keep their armor on rust.

But the main road (at least for most of us) leading in really does flood, which might make it difficult.

10. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, I'll keep an eye on the weather forecasts throughout the week. If we end up having to cancel, we need to VERY quickly reschedule for a date in October. My first choice for October will be Sunday, October 5th. That will put it during Oktoberfest!! :D
    I know many would prefer to go on a Saturday. However, I'm already scheduled to work on Saturday, October 4th. :(

As for this Saturday, if Isabel is over and done, and the roads are passable, there's still the issue of the muddy ground.
    To that end, Wal*Mart sells rubber, waterproof boots. From a standard viewing distance, they'll actually look like polished leather boots. They'll keep your feet dry, they come in a variety of heights, and they're in the $10-$15 range. So, if anyone doesn't have waterproof footwear for the event Saturday, you may want to go pick some up. :cool:

And on another note, after Ren Fest Saturday, I'll be going to check out the new movie Underworld. It's a vampires vs. werewolves flick that promises to be cool. I'll be checking it out at nearby (to the Ren Fest) Annapolis Mall, if it's playing there. Anyone else interested in coming along and doing the movie as a group activity?

11. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, I'll probably have already seen it by Ren Fest. My friend who's coming with me wants to see it Friday night when she gets here. We might, however, go to see "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" Saturday night.

12. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    So, Jeff, did you talk her into coming to Ren Fest, or not? ?[face_plain]

And here's a suggestion:
    IF there's going to be a GS viewing of Underworld Saturday night, why not take your friend to Once Upon a Time on Friday night, then come see Underworld on Saturday? :)

13. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Yes, she wants to see Pirates and weirdos in costumes, but I told her there would be more people there than just us. :p

Well, if there's going to be a turnout for Underworld Saturday night, then yes we can alter our plans.

14. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm not making any Saturday night decisions until Saturday night - I'm usually ready to just go home and chill after a day of pirating!

15. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    What a surprise, I will not be able to make it to Ren Fair.

Have a great time and get as much Booty as possible.

16. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Yes, she just wants to go home and raid her supply of rum, as any good Pirate should ;)

17. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Like I can find the rum amidst the boxes.....

18. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Well then you must scavenge and pillage the place, me mateys! Actually I think that was the first thing your dad unpacked: the alcohol and the margarita glasses.

I don't know what got into him ;)

19. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    ^ ^ ^
    Alcohol, by the sound of it! ;)

20. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Hey everyone, there is another SW club who is going to the same Ren Farie I believe on October 4th. I am probably going to go with them but maybe you guys may consider pushing this date back abit and we can have a massive SW turnout at the Ren Faire!!!

This calls for a big cheesey grin!! :D

21. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Originally posted by Maleficant:
    Hey everyone, there is another SW club who is going to the same Ren Farie I believe on October 4th. I am probably going to go with them but maybe you guys may consider pushing this date back abit and we can have a massive SW turnout at the Ren Faire!!!

And as I already mentioned, the 4th is straight out for me. :(
    And I already knew about that other group planning to go on that day.
    This calls for a big cheesey grin!!
    Oh, it calls for something, alright. ;)

22. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Sorry Jack, didn't have time to read EVERY post in this thread. :)

That's what you get for staying up till 3am only to get up at 6am and go to work!!! :(

23. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    6 AM?!? :eek:
    YEGODS, what kind of hellhole do you work in? ?[face_plain]
    NO JOB is worth getting up at the butt crack of dawn for! :p

And on another note...
    I make it 12 confirmed so far (GS members, their guests, and our newest prospective member, PadawanRoo), 5 more "maybes", and I'm noticing that at least 2 of our regular members (*Ahem!* Liz! Roger! *Ahem!*) have not yet said if they're planning to come to Ren Fest. ;)
    In other words...
    we're going to have a HUGE group and we will OWN Ren Fest! :D
    Now then, anyone who hasn't replied yet as to whether or not they're definitely attending....
    what the smeg are ya waitin' for, eh? ?[face_plain] :p ;)

24. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Well Val and Heather rarely go anywhere without Liz (They're the 3 Musketeers, you know). I know for sure liz will be attending. So Roger's the only one you need query.

Besides, she had this to say:

hot guys in ruffly pirate shirts.

I am SO there! :D

25. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    ^ ^ ^
    Oh, right, my bad! She DID say that! ^_^
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Actually, I was just about to read through all the posts again to make sure I hadn't missed anything like that. :cool:
    Guess that's what I get for only looking at the posts that were made AFTER I posted the call for a final head count. [face_blush]
    So, that makes it 13 confirmed, 5 "maybes", and still at least 1 or 2 we're not sure of.
    Isbeth from the MD Fan Force mentioned coming, and possibly bringing others from the group. I PMed Isbeth to encourage a reply here on the thread. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.