main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Growing Backlash against Star Wars Films???????

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Bazinga'd , May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i don't think backlash, it's more likely that there's more out there for kids/teens/young adults attention than there was when i was a kid. i was born in 72, and pretty much all remember doing is playing football, and collecting star wars figures (not simultaneously).

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Opinions are like ******** - everybody has one.

Edit: Gotta star out the whole word.

Jobertus, Ryus, Gallandro and 2 others like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    My opinion... this article doesn't actually say much of anything.

5. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Really? the "A word" is too hardcore for these forums? What a shame.

Back on topic . . . I see quite the contrary actually. And there have always been people that hate Star Wars and think it's heavily overrated.

What is new is the RETRO feeling Star Wars generates. In three more years we'll be celebrating the 40th anniversary which is crazy. Hot girls wear retro Star Wars T shirts. ADIDAS had these cool campaign that focused on the cantina scene, Daft Punk cameos and other retro elements. There's an increasing validation, that "old Star Wars is cool" and an increasing PT bashing, I see it everywhere. The way people passionately defend the original versions, explaining in detail why the additions are wrong and how the original was perfectly fine for example.

People are saying good things about Lucas's limited involvement, most people really seem glad that he's stepping down and that JJ seems to be going in a different direction than the prequels. (focusing on the Big 3, using models, passive-aggressively stating that he doesn't care for the PT and so on)

Of course Star Wars is huge and there are A LOT of loyal fans that embrace the culture with its perceived faults and merits. The PT made a zillion bucks and toys have never sold better but now more than ever I see the original trilogy validated as something historical, something that deserves our respect.

6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it is strongly applied in the article. There is not much to back it up however.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think it's natural that Star Wars be a bit of a harder sell to younger film goers given the sheer amount of mega-blockbusters there are these days. And of course all Star Wars (even the original films) have always had detractors, especially among the type of science fiction fans who detest the term "sci-fi" and all it represents. So I guess I'm saying "backlash" is probably too strong a word. I don't think Star Wars is being consciously rejected any more than it always has.

bstnsx704 and Gallandro like this.
  8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    As shown in the Disallowed Words list, "ass" is OK, but the longer variation of it that was used in this case is not. ;)

Ganger likes this.
  9. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    That's probably the most ill informed, moronic "geek" article I've seen in some time. I'd really like to see this so-called "backlash." What I did see on May 4th, were both national news outlets and my local affiliates covering Star Wars Day events in fairly giddy fashion.

Now if he's talking about the recent CNN opinion piece, "How Star Wars Ruined Sci-Fi," well I don't know what to say. There's a certain subculture of the geek community which resents the success of the films and how it transformed a lot of modern fantasy and science fiction.

While there's certainly a sub-set of older fans who fall into this category, there are quite a few younger fans out there who are fairly nostalgic for the PT. And over the years the bashing has died down quite a bit as younger fans (9-25) are becoming the majority of the fanbase.

Yancy

plaidphoenix, EHT and JoshieHewls like this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I think its is reply to this hate piece and others that cameout just in time for Star Wars Day on the weekend. Hate pieces comeout just in time for every Star Wars Day for web hits.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/02/opinion/beale-star-wars/ (titled how Star Wars ruined Sci-fi)

EternalHero likes this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think a more germane issue is whether an oversaturation of Star Wars news is bad for the franchise and fanbase

12. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    its a generational issue, back when we were kids.. going to the movies was 'an event' shoot going to McDonalds was 'an event' now they are common place... also we actually got dirty and played outside, now kids have too much other things to do.. so back then Star Wars was a lot bigger than it will ever be now

you know how I communicate with my family while in the house I send them text messages [face_plain]

thejeditraitor and plaidphoenix like this.
  13. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    This. And yes, it is. The build-up of hype leading up to TPM was truly overwhelming as it was the first SW film in nearly two decades. For some, the film (and other subsequent prequel films) were a let down, and at some point I can see how the constant press would have become nauseating to the general public. I could easily see that happening again this time around if there's a too-high level of saturation of Star Wars across media, but here's to hoping that Disney and Lucasfilm can a) try to keep the environment a little less frenzied than it was in 1999; and b) deliver with a high-quality product.

14. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    There's always a risk of oversaturation, even the comic book film genre runs that risk. At some point the audience will grow tired of something if you continually shove it down their throats.

Star Trek is a good example of something general audiences grew tired of. The films featuring the TOS cast did pretty well, and even reached a wide audience with Star Trek IV, but once TNG hit the air that all changed. The movies started to see diminishing returns (why pay for something you can watch on TV for free). By Season 5 of TNG the ratings had reached their apex then began to go south, but Paramount continued to churn out series after series, with some shows overlapping their runs for a season or two. The TNG films struggled, and eventually the ratings of the shows began to suffer.

I'm not sure the franchise can bear the weight of a movie every year, plus a potential live action TV series, plus animated kids shows, in addition to all of the merchandise on the shelves... it's great for the fans, but could reach a point of overload for general audiences.

Yancy

DarthWilliams likes this.
  15. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I didn't read the article, but I was just talking about something similar a couple days ago.....

I have noticed in recent years that it seems like more and more people who are of an age that would have been prime for Star Wars are claiming to have not scene any of the films. It seems to be said in way that is more an expression of wanting the attention of the reaction it always get: "WHAT? You have never seen Star Wars?!?"

It comes off the same way as those people who dress like freaks with colored hair and studs coming out of their nose. You know, the ones who all look alike yet claim they are expressing their individuality.

To a certain crowd it seems to have become cool to dismiss Star Wars.

[face_devil]

16. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Wow! As if this stupid article would ruin my anticipation for the Sequel Trilogy, or any future Star Wars project.:rolleyes:

17. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Not to mention moves not that good. Besides Star Trek has its potential maximized by TV shows whereas Star wars is by movies.

18. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    But Disney has already expressed interest in expanding the brand to TV, much like Marvel. That's the model they are using, and I'm not convinced Star Wars can bear that weight.

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    The confirmed TV content is animated; I hope it stays that way, partially because I think the tendency for perceived oversaturation is less when the TV content is animated than it would be if any of it was live action.

20. Smile_youS.O.B

Smile_youS.O.B Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2014
    I just think it has more to do with all the talkbacks and message boards. On average we see a lot more complaining then we did 25 years ago on many films. People love to complain, and the detractors are always the loudest.

I said this in another thread, but I think a lot of people get joy from attacking a film. I've noticed that over the last few years that the complaining as gotten worse, and I don't think the ST will be immune. No matter how well made it is, I feel people will complain about anything they can. I have a feeling a number of people are just rubbing there hands together just waiting to tear into this thing when it opens. It's kind of said actually, the level of arrogance has seemed to grow over the last few years. It's one thing to say "I didn't like the film, and here's my X, Y, and Z reasons" but I'm seeing a lot more "This movie was the worst movie every made, the filmmakers need to be slapped." Just recently on another forum a member sounded off on the EU announcement "Saying he wishes Kennedy, JJ Arbrams, and Lucusfilm nothing but ill will, and will be rooting against the film". I mean, really?

My advice, just avoid the talkbacks and all the silliness that goes on them. Stick to places like this to discuss star wars.

21. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I haven't watched Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but the majority of my friends who have watched it have expressed general disappointment in it. So I suspect Disney will be more careful about how they package any Star Wars material for television.

As for diminishing interest in Star Wars in general, I agree it isn't as BIG or FRESH or EXCITING as it was 30 years ago, but that doesn't diminish the interest in or excitement for more Star Wars material. If there wasn't a market for more material, there wouldn't be so much EU material out there and more importantly, Disney wouldn't have paid such a hefty price tag to George for the rights. Disney may not always get things right, look at all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but more often then not, they're closer to right then wrong when they invest in a project.

Gamma626, Granek and EHT like this.
  22. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    This talk of oversaturation though is a bit premature. We haven't had a live action Star Wars movie in nearly a decade. Look at Disney's other franchise, Marvel. We're getting 2 a year, at least, and they are some of the biggest blockbusters around, so clearly people aren't tired of them yet. I think the problem is that people just have a bad taste from the prequels in their mouth and they're worried Disney is going to make them even worse, which I think is very unlikely. Disney wouldn't spend 4 billion dollars on a franchise if they just wanted a quick cash in.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. MAL_SOLO

MAL_SOLO Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2011
    The interesting thing that I have noticed is that there are people out there who love Spoofs more than the original source material that the Spoof is satirizing. I know people who can quote almost every line from Spaceballs , but fall asleep during ESB. I know some folks who saw and loved the Austin Powers Trilogy before they ever saw their first James Bond Movie. And there are plenty of people who love Galaxy Quest, but who get bored during an episode of ST:TOS.

Another thing to take into account is - Believe it or not - there are some people who feel intimated by Star Wars as a franchise. They want to get into the franchise, but because of the decades worth of EU material, they feel as if it would take them years to catch up with everyone else. Do they start with PT or OT? Which comics should they read? Which games should they play? Which novels should they read?

A more interesting take on the article would have been: What if a ANH wasn't released in back '77, but was instead released now? Would it have made the same impact on a global scale? Why or Why not?

24. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Uh, yeah, backlash, that's why everyone was saying "May the 4th Be With You" to me Sunday, including people I'd never met before. Maybe they didn't hear that there was a "backlash" happening.

Ryus That CNN article has to be a joke: "Instead, I'll queue up "The Matrix," and enjoy the most original sci-fi movie of the past 25 years. I recommend "Star Wars" fans do the same. They need to be reminded what real creativity is all about." [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Ryus likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

screw society. ha ha!

EternalHero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.