main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Growing concerns in regards to the Jedi Council Forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The Gatherer, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    I posted three threads in one day once over at 3SA.

god knows i'll never do that again.

nobody jumped down my throat about them being redundant, but I still got a PM from darth-sinister saying there was a five post per day limit on the boards, which really pi**ed me off, cause I still would have had to post two more threads to reach the limit.

Oh, well, just had to get that off my chest.

2. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Putting an exact limit on the number of threads someone can post or up is a good example of overmoderation and micromanagement.

Say someone posts 10 threads in one day. Now, if they're all legitimate threads and not spam, what's the problem?

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Say someone posts 10 threads in one day. Now, if they're all legitimate threads and not spam, what's the problem?

The Law of Conservation of Clue.

Clue can neither be created nor destroyed, but must be passed from person to person.

In shorthand, there's only SO MUCH rational discussion that can go on in one day. If someone in Lit creates ten perfectly valid threads in one day, that's going to be drawing away from other people's ability to post their own threads and get good discussion generated on it. So it's really a fairness issue -- someone could post 2 topics a day for 5 days and get the same discussion out of it, right? However, if it's been a really slow day I'd probably be inclined to let it slide. Again, it all boils down to common sense.

Now, in a Community Forum where there's fluff I don't think I'd care. But then again, I don't moderate those Forums so I can't speak for those Mods.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I also believe that we require a new restructuring of the rules, tailored to each individual forum. I believe it is absurd that one set of rules covers every single forum. Each forum is different, has a different audience and content.

And will you explain to every new person how CT poster A can do something that PT poster B cant?

As said above, there are some differing rules. But the majority should be set in stone.

I started a thread in the Literature Forum called the Literature Forum Hall of Fame, to recognize the people that have made a fantastic contribution over the past 6 years... starting with 10 people, and adding one person per month.

Great, proactive way to recognize people for thier contribution to debate, discussion and community. This was locked without consultation... why? WHY? Because 'they' didn't think of it first? Because I dared not ask for 'permission'?

First, why do you need recognition? I dont come here for fame and recognition, I come here to post.

And second, no matter how you look at it, it isnt about Literature. It is about the Community. Which makes it an EUC matter, surely?

5. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    A feeling in regards to the THOUGHT POLICE

Remember, you moderators do not 'own' your particular forum, you manage it in regards to your constituents... you run the forums in behalf of your fellow posters, you do not run the forums in regards to furthering the glory of yourself.

I hope that after I am gone, you realise the truth in my simple words.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Remember, you moderators do not 'own' your particular forum, you manage it in regards to your constituents... you run the forums in behalf of your fellow posters, you do not run the forums in regards to furthering the glory of yourself.

Exactly. Which is why we don't need a Hall of Fame.

Everyone learns pretty quickly in the Forum who's who if they get involved in discussion and pay attention.

You're the dude with Timetales and the social thread.
    Genghis is the dude with the Marvel comics.
    I'm the dude with the RPGs and the black and white view of Star Wars.
    Gandolf's the dude without the spell-checker for his name.
    Nom Anor and Coopra are the dudes on the Books staff with you.

The only person who people DON'T usually know and SHOULD know is Scott! :)

We don't need anything to tell us who to go to -- our posts and helpfulness in the Forum tells people everything they need to know...

7. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    I don't think 'Thought Police' is the best term to apply to what your trying to say, perhaps Shutzstaffel.

Essentially, I think it is fair that people shouldn't be able to post large numbers of threads in a day. Not because they are all irrelevant or whatever, but simply because it isn't needed and it can flood the boards. Besides, who wants to see a) an entire page filled with dozens of posts by the same person and b) read dozens of posts written by the same person with the same thought process. I like some originality goin' on, and you get that through different things posted by different people.

Raising your old threads should be A-OK though, unless your doing an "up" or some crap like that. But otherwise, I can hardly see where there would be a problem.

8. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    The reason that I started that thread is to recognise people other than me!!

9. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Gatherer, stay with me and talk to me by PM regarding this issue, please. That way we can say things that are not allowed in posties.......

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Who's Scott ?[face_plain] :p

I did not really think about that Dp, in regards to the topic creation. I suppose that is a logical way to look at it, in trying to maintain a "balance of power" between threads. It may not be fair, but I do see your point.

Gath, I hope you manage to seek some kind of help for your problems. I hope that you don't decide to take your own life...

11. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    I have not read any of the replies, but my 2 cents...

I think some of the JC mods are out of touch with the JC. They barely make 3 or 4 posts there a day, let alone know whats going on. They are regularly getting attatched to the "ban" and "lock" buttons before even putting an ounce of thought into it. Amazing seems to be the only decent one, i dont think since he became mod, he has changed his posting habbits, and at the same time become a good mod. If they (the other JC mods) are too busy to deal with JC matters, maybe they should not have the job.

I also find the War has caused a number of problems. I find it encouraged to bash French people on the JC. I doubt if the same was said about Americans, people would be let of so lightly. French people, including French Canadians and French Posters are being treated unfairly, but hey who cares as long as Americans are not being bashed [rolls_eys]

Also slightly off topic; The banning system needs to be updated. How the hell are people meant to improve their behaviour, if they dont know who banned them and for what reason.

============
    Comic Book Guy

12. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    The banning system needs to be updated. How the hell are people meant to improve their behaviour, if they dont know who banned them and for what reason.

Your unban request did get a response, which did detail why you were banned, how long for, and who did it. You use a hotmail account to receive your JC emails, so its possible that the old JC/Hotmail bug kicked in. If you wish to ask more, PM me.

I also find the War has caused a number of problems.

Undoubtedly, it has been a pain in the bum. We're walking a tightrope with the possiblity of stifling fair discussion, but also people going too far. Its never easy to know what is the right level in this situation.

I find it encouraged to bash French people on the JC. I doubt if the same was said about Americans, people would be let of so lightly. French people, including French Canadians and French Posters are being treated unfairly, but hey who cares as long as Americans are not being bashed

Well, There has been bashing on both sides. We have tried to keep an eye on it and tried to be impartial, however we arent perfect. Many decisions made with respect to dealing with possible infractions have actually been made by multpile mods, so as to try to get a fair response.
    But as always, fair will depends on what side of the argument you are on. If you want to know, I've had plenty of people telling me that the America-bashing has just gone too freely.

I think some of the JC mods are out of touch with the JC. They barely make 3 or 4 posts there a day, let alone know whats going on

I dont like to post for the sake of posting. I'm not going to post in a thread simply so people see me posting. However, I've been a bigtime JCC regular for two years. I hardly think that not posting 10-20 times per day means that I dont know whats going on. Posting levels dont equate to understanding.

They are regularly getting attatched to the "ban" and "lock" buttons before even putting an ounce of thought into it.

Well, I dont know any mod that doesnt think about the punishments given. If we ban, its for good reason. If we are unsure, we'll talk to another mod about it.
    And lock levels vary from forum to forum. I wouldnt mind clarification on the forums you are referring to.

13. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    You use a hotmail account to receive your JC emails, so its possible that the old JC/Hotmail bug kicked in.

I didn't know there WAS a JC/Hotmail bug. I'll change my listed Email address to my other one.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Gatherer, the reason everyone hates it when you make too many threads is they just simply don't like you. I know tons of people who see you as a tool, so don't expect anyone to like you. Just take what you get and make the best of it.

15. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    "They barely make 3 or 4 posts there a day, let alone know whats going on."

That's not because they're suddenly not interested in discussions or because they no longer visit the boards. It's because they now have a whole lot of other responcibilities, as well. And just because you don't see them posting doesn't mean they're not there. You're forgetting that when a regular user visits a board s/he doesn't have to check out most of the threads made to make sure there aren't any violations.

16. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I know that I've read a lot more threads in the AOTC forum since I was promoted. I'm lucky that it's not a huge forum, because I'm able to read every new post every day. However, I've also discovered some interesting threads this way, that I wouldn't have read otherwise.

There is a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff with being a mod, but I think that posting the forum you moderate in is one of the most important things.

17. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Gatherer, I'm not sure what you're quite concernced about. Are you concerned with mod coverage and what they do? I think the mods make good decisions in locking threads or when a person ups an old thread that has been dead for some while. In the case of creating threads right after the other, why not just space them out? If you have an opinon it will be heard.

18. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    All he's concerned about is that his thread in Lit got locked. Nothing to see here, these aren't the droids you're looking for.

19. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    "Your unban request did get a response, which did detail why you were banned, how long for, and who did it. You use a hotmail account to receive your JC emails, so its possible that the old JC/Hotmail bug kicked in. If you wish to ask more, PM me. "

Ah that damed hotmail. I would appreciate if i could be PM'd the reasons, etc. Thanks.

On the same note, maybe i did deserve my banning. But when someone says "I hate Anti-War protestors and France" i feel that is a Billion times worse that anything i said. I dont know why i got banned, maybe flaming, but what the hell is that? He is flaming French posters (of which there are tons) and anti-war protesters. Why hasnt he been banned and had his sig edited. I dont care what argument you pull, his Sig is truly offensive and highly anal. Go on ban me if you must for that, but it is the God honest truth. The hypocricy is unbelievable. If i showed that to the French posters they surely would be ofended. Dont they deserve representation? I am sorry, i have lost all respect for every mod, until this issue is resolved, because each and every one of you has the duty to get rid of that statement. And if he is banned, get rid of his sig, because it is offensive. //end rant.

http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=808209

Thats the user ^

"And lock levels vary from forum to forum. I wouldnt mind clarification on the forums you are referring to."

Well i am talking about the Raincloud thread. I want to know who exactly was punished for their trolling and spamming of it. I can name about 10 people who were acting plain rude. She did not deserve to get her thread locked because of others.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11342186&page=1

Thank You

============
    Comic Book Guy

20. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    Gatherer, the reason everyone hates it when you make too many threads is they just simply don't like you. I know tons of people who see you as a tool, so don't expect anyone to like you. Just take what you get and make the best of it.

[face_plain]

Was that honestly necessary? There's no need to attack a person just because he is trying to address an issue he believes is a problem. Maybe he is taking it a little too personally, so what? Who's to judge?

Even if you felt something along those lines needed to be said, there are more polite, and more private, ways to go about doing so.

edit: spelling

21. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Thank you JH, I was going to say something.

22. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    darth_boy, i hardly see how having 'I hate Anti-War protestors and France' in a sig is flaming. it's the kid's opinion, which he is entitled to. you're stretching on this one.

23. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    PiaS, my opinion was that he needs to get a life. My opinion got me banned. His opinion is fine though?

On a similar note, i find what he said to be far more offensive than "[that acronym]", which i think is now banned. Bravo.

============
    Comic Book Guy

YJ edit: That acronym isn't allowed anymore.

24. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    darth_boy, please post the text of what you said to him and we'll see if his SIGNATURE is more offensive than whatever you said and thus got banned for.

25. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Edit: Nevermind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.