main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Growing Resistance/Republic military

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rumsmuggler, Dec 28, 2015.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    What is the Resistance resisting?

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    They are resisting the foolish notion of disarming and thinking the Galaxy will be peaceful again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If you're reading to this you are the resistance.;)

whostheBossk and rumsmuggler like this.
  4. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

Easy way to bring Lando back in as well. He strikes me as the type to play the game from within the system. When it came time for General Leia and the Resistance to form, he would totally have been like, "Thanks, but I'm going to chill with the New Republic and all its monies and luxury."

5. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Lando is probably retired on some nice planet until the First Order comes to screw things up. Then he teams up with Nein Numb again to frak up the bad guys.

Jedi Knight Fett and ShaneP like this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I really don't want to see yet another galactic civil war. I mean one pitting us vs them.

I would like to see more chaos and tough moral dilemmas where things aren't as cut and dry.

Sort of what Lucas talked about the ST possibly containing waaay back in 1983.

edit: let's muck things up a bit before we put everything back together again.

And no, I don't mean Luke turning to the dark side either. :p

whostheBossk and Stoneymonster like this.
  7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. I doubt the powers that be give a damn about Lucas' thoughts on the ST, but it would be nice if they did use some of it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I think we've seen more of Lucas' thoughts on the ST than we realize right now. ;)

I can name two: Jedi killer and new heroic duo: young girl and boy.

But yes, not really much moral dilemma or tough philosophical choices Lucas talked about then. Then again, we don't know if Lucas 2015 would have listened to Lucas 1983 either.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I think it would be interesting to introduce another imperial remnant besides the first order.​

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    One would probably take over the other, or wipe them out for being in the way.

11. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Think of the US funding fighters in Afghanistan to do battle with the Soviet Union.

Elements of the Republic are using the Resistance to fight a war by proxy.

12. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Okay that kind of makes sense...still tough to see how they could be involved in a military movement against the FO and not be surveilling them well enough to know they have a planetary Death Star. But..yeah that political situation kinda makes sense.

13. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    It's a lot harder to conduct surveillance different planets than it is to conduct surveillance on other places on the same planet. The differences in the distances involved is astronomical... Literally.

On Earth, the US knows basically everything to do with the disposition of the strategic assets of its rivals thanks to an extensive network of spy satellites, as well as the reciprocal agreement tonot attack other countries satellites for fear of starting a war. In Star Wars, the Republic's knowledge of the locations and statuses of Imperial planets depends entirely on available star maps... which are not publically available the way anyone could pull up a map of the planet online.

14. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    And now that the Republic is presumably gone/ on its knees ... are they still "resisting" the peace? They need a better name / identity in VIII since presumably the good people of the galaxy around the Hosnian system, for one, will be flocking to join them. They can't be a Rebellion (that would be technically what the First Order are) so ... the Republic?

15. Mortran

Mortran Jedi Master

Jul 20, 1999
    What government is in charge of Coruscant? The First Order, the Republic, another faction?
    The government of Coruscant would probably the strongest faction in the gelaxy.

16. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I think Coruscant is just a planet now, since the republic had its capital on Hosnian prime. I haven't read all the new canon novels so I don't know it they mentioned anything about it.

17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    My thinking is the First Order would likely want to retake Coruscant as a goal to establish the Empire and remake it the capital. Its unclear of the state of Coruscant following it being removed and losing much of his prominence , how the people of Coruscant feel since it was the capital of the Republic and its transformation into the Galactic Empire. The people put Palpatine in charge, many of the nobles and elites and corporations would likely also have suffered under the New Republic's politics. I don't think many Republic/Imperial loyalists like the idea that formerly Separatist systems now have Galactic say and power nor the criminal rebels.

18. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Coruscant is the former seat of Imperial power, which means that capturing it would have been one of the New Republic's war goals from early on. Considering that the back of the Imperial remnant in the more populated areas of the Galaxy was broken at Jakku, Coruscant is almost certainly in Republic hands.

Here's a thought: given the iconography of grey angular Imperial Star Destroyers vs. bulbous and earth brown Mon Calamari Star Cruisers, what would be the reception towards Imperial-class SDs being fielded in surviving New Republic fleets?

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

It's part of the new Republic. But, because of its tradition of Empire for the last generation, plus a reputation of being indifferent to other worlds further out from the core, the NR decided to rotate the capital to different members worlds.

Hosnian Prime is the current rotating capital during the events of TFA.

Mars457, early concept art had the heroes using SDs and even towing them for scrap.

whostheBossk likes this.