main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Grr bllody Aussie cinemas (We have to wait for Scanner Darkly)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Reign, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Why is it that one movie that I anticipate most and actually want to see at the cinemas is always released late in Australia?

Last year it happened with Sin City, which was released 5 monhts after it was in the US and now it's happening with Scanner Darkly.

Thank god for the pirates, and up yours Australian cinemas. You release the latest romantic comedy crud as soon as it hits the US but we have to wait for the good flicks.

2. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Its got nothing to do with Aussie Cinemas. It has to do with who-ever distributes the film. As far as Sin City or a Scanner Darkly go, it doesn't suprise me the distributer is waiting, both are very experimental - as awesome as they maybe - and may not have the large mainstream audience.

Tsk Tsk. Piracy. Wait for it on the big screen. It will be much sweeter.

3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    For some reason the 5th Harry Potter film is not being released in Australia until a month after the US.

There are not THAT many muggles here :(

4. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001

That fact still causes me to twitch.

5. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    So you're condoning Piracy so you can see a movie a month earlier?

Sorry, but that is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

6. Darth_Reign

Oct 7, 2001
    If it's a month I'll wait. But Sin Cit was almost half a year. I didn't actually hav to resort to piracy ofr that, I bought the region 1 DVD. I still saw it at the cinemas just to experience it on the big screen and i'll do the same for Scanner.

7. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Orrighty-

But seriously piracy makes me sick. And people who say: Meh It's hollywood- they're all billionaires?

that's a weak excuse they use to justify their own wrongdoings.

8. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Same thing happened with Sky Captain. And the same thing is happening again with Nacho Libra, from what I've heard. Annoying as it may be, it does make the whole 'might as well buy region 1' thing more attractive, even if it's expensive.

On a brighter note, despite the fact channel ten dumped it, we're getting the season 2 dvd set of battlestar shortly!

9. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Same thing's happening with Blade Runner: Final Cut. Only this time, we're not getting it at all.

It's only being released to US cinemas, and there are no plans for any cinematic screenings in Australia.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I should invent a license to sell to people who want to have an uninformed whinge/rant on teh intraweb. I could make loads of money off people like you, Reign.

I mean, if it was the fault of cinemas, it would mean a conspiracy involving Hoyts, Greater Union/BCC, Village, Dendy, Reading, and every independant cinema in the country! [face_worried]

If only there was some centralised group that controlled the distribution of films in Australia. Or if not one, then one for each major film company. Roadshow could have one, as could Fox and Warner, and Universal, and the others. [face_thinking]

Reign, you've been pwned enough. Common sense would have nixed any suggestion of a broad, cinema level conspiracy, if only you'd consulted it first. ;)

And if you're desperate to see Keanu, I think he's got a new film coming out between now and when ASD is released... ;)

In all seriousness, I'd contact the distributor. They may be able to tell you why it was delayed.

E_S

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    BTW Ender, as a Mod you should remind people how encouraging piracy is against the TOS ;)

Not that I can talk, I have half of AOTC as an AVI file

12. Darth_Reign

Oct 7, 2001
    Well i guess australian cinemas are off the hook for this then.

Up yours distributers it is then!

Oh and up yours Australian Cinemas! 10 dollars for a popcorn and a coke?! Can i put it on layby?

And when i said thank god for Pirates I uh um I meant the Carribean variety.... yeah that'll do.

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    That's why it's always good to BRING food, even if you have to hide it. Do you think we go to the movies for the food? I remember at the midnight ROTS my mum asked if I wanted opocorn, I was like "What?"

14. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    You should have said 'ok', since she was clearly offering to pay for it :p

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I did, but the point was that I wasn't really interested in popcorn. I was talking to a guy dressed up as a Tusken Raider.

16. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Reign,

If your a Melbournite, you can catch A Scanner Darkly on July 29 at the Melbourne Internation Film Festival.

I was just browsing the films playing and I saw that! There seems to be a much better selection at the Melbourne festival than there was in Sydney. I was so hanging out to see Thank You For Smoking but I had an exam that day :_|

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The reason postmix Coke and Popcorn costs so much is because that's where cinemas make their money. Not off ticket sales.

Again, hoisted by your own petard.

E_S

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I still say BYO is better :p

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sure, but the reason why they're expensive is to keep the cinemas in business.

E_S

20. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Bah, even if they DIDN'T sell food people would go to the movies anyway.

21. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I got tossed out of the cinema for bringing my own food. :(

I tried to explain to the manager that no one else seemed to mind and beside, I hadn't had a BBQ in ages.

Maybe he just didn't like the smell of onions.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    :rolleyes: No, no they wouldn't.

As I said, they make their money off candy bar sales.

So, if they're not selling food, they're not making money, and that means they have to close. Thus, people wouldn't be going to the movies because said movies would be out of business.

E_S

23. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Indeedage.

I don't mind forking out the $8.50 for popcorn, coke and choc bomb. It' not that insano when you buy a combo- purchasing an item on it's own is much worse.

24. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    $8.50? It's $11 for a combo here...

25. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I don't know how much a combo costs at my local Hoyts, but if it was something like $11, you then add the ticket price of $14 which boosts it up to a total cost of $25. at $8.50 for a combo, it would still cost $22.50. That is way too expensive for an average 2.5 hour movie IMO which is why i never buy food from the cinema.

And I agree with Katana_Geldar, I think there would be a select audience who would still go see a movie if there was no junk food on offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.