main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grub's up - the Best Restaurants in Town!

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by Lord-Tice, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Yes I want a trip to Wagamama's as well!

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Yeah, Wagamama's is seriously =P~
    I'll probably be enjoying their fine cusine a couple of times next week :D

They do a mean white chocolate and ginger cheesecake too.

3. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    do they do cheeseburgers?
    and nuggets?
    and milkshakes?
    mmm...
    mcdonalds...!

4. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I am a vegetarian, and Matt knows that I like cheesecake (although I may not be so good at making it), so Wagamama is definitely something that I will check out. Thanks for the tip!

5. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I'm having a horrible lecture at uni so I had time to surf the internet and guess what I found out?

A wagamam is opening at Earls Court at the 29th of december :eek: :D
    But still not a single wagamama in Germany :( ;)

6. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I'm in the US but I'm in a very isolated area, so places like burger king, pizza hut, and wendys are at least as exciting as fine dining. :)

Though I do remember enjoying just about all the food I had last time I was in England. I can't wait to go back this time, now that I'm not quite as much of a poor college student (translation - still a college student, better paying job) so I can eat at some of the nicer places :)

7. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    You beat me to it Jule :p
    I was at Wagamammas on Sunday just gone and I noticed that they were openning a new outlet at Earls Court.....it's almost as if they've been reading this thread and thought "Hey, that's make life easy for all these people going to CE and open a Wagamammas right next door" :D

Hopefully the food will be even better then before, Tofu ;)

8. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Oh I'm sure it will be. And I promised myself I'm not going to eat anywhere that I can at home... which pretty much just means no Dominos (dont think that's in the UK), McDonalds, or Subway (not sure if that's there either)

Anyone know of a good thai or indian place near Earls Court?

9. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Darth_Tofu - if you want a good indian place at a decent price I would highly recommend The Punjab Restaurant in Covent Garden - its in a great location, not too expensive (by London standards!) and serves bloody amazing food! Just like home :p You can always soak up the wonder that is Covent Garden at night afterwards.

Granted its a bit of a trek from Excel, but there isn't really anywhere to eat near there bar a Costa Coffee...!

10. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    During LondonExpo last month, me and Tim did a bit of a recce to find local food places for people to wine and dine or just grab a light snack during CE at and around the ExCel.

Inside the ExCel, there are a number of options (ideal for lunches) which shouldn?t be too badly priced.
    Venue Dining
    Costa Coffee - Drinks (hot & cold), sandwiches, pastries, cakes.
    Panini Pronto - Paninis, funny enough.
    Tapa,Tapa - Tapas bar.
    Amigo - Newsagents.
    Birley Sandwiches - Deli sandwich bar.
    Whistlestop - Ready meals & sandwiches.
    The Fox @ Boulevard - Seafood.
    Chozen Noodle - Asian and oriental dishes.
    Oi! Bagel - Bagels (maybe for rude people).
    The Fox bar & Diner - serves breakfast and lunch until 3pm, then turns into a bar (maybe like Transformers....or perhaps not).
    The Baked Potato Co - Baked potatoes.
    Pizza that, Pizza this - great name, sells pizzas.
    The traditional Pasty & Pie - We like our pies and pasties, worth trying I think.
    Waterfront Café bars - Proper restaurant over looking the docks, serves hot & cold food.

Meanwhile, just outisde of the ExCel there are lots of restaurants. These may range in prices, but shouldn?t be too badly priced and will give you a good square meal.
    Campus Dinning
    Super star Chinese Restaurant - Chinese dishes.
    The Fox @ ExCel - two bars and a restaurant area.
    Crowne Plaza - Terra restaurant & bar.
    Nakhon Thai - Cocktail bar & Thai restaurant.
    The Fox @ Connaught - bar & restaurant.
    Caribbean scene - caribbean dishes.
    All the major hotels also have restaurants, which include the Novotel, Ibis, Sunborn Yacht, PTI & Ramada.

However, Canary Wharf has many eating options too. These are spread out in various locations and your best bet is to pick up the 'Where's that shop?' flyer at the ExCel, which is a pocket map for Canary Whalf and very useful (I tried finding an online version but as yet had no luck). These places should also be nicely priced.
    Canary Wharf eating
    Wagamama - don?t go there, it?s horrible (just saying that so it wont get busy because it?s actually great, Japanese food)
    Nando?s - Mostly chicken dishes, but they do cater for veggies too. very nice.
    Itsu - Not sure what this place is like but it's meant to be very well priced and caters for all.
    Pizza Express - Pizzas, very fashionable in the 70s I believe.
    Tootsies - Burgers, very nice but they can be slow.
    Chili?s - Texan bar & grill.
    For more info on these places, please visit this site:
    Canary Wharf Eating

Hope that helps, and if we find out any more useful info and places, I'll update the thread :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.