main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grudge Match 29 Jun/ Death Star vs The Enterprise

Discussion in 'Archive: Jacksonville, NC' started by jkg_vader, Jun 29, 2005.

?

Grudge Match 29 Jun/ Death Star vs The Enterprise

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Tarkin's Death Star

72.7%
  2. Kirk's Enterprise

27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Well, It looks like Vader took last week's grudge match (like we all new he would), so up next:

Star Trek vs Star Wars, wahoo!!!!

Remember read the synopsis, and the comments, then vote and make your own comment.

The Setting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It has come to our attention that there apparently was (and possibly still is) a debate over which would win the machino-et-machino match-up: Death Star vs. Enterprise. Newsgroup chatter be damned!! Let's decide this for real, folks! Steve, Enterprise, led by Kirk and Co. (of course) up against the Death Star (with Darth Vader, no Emperor) - who controls the universe at battle's end?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enterprise
    vs.
    The Death Star

The Commentary

STEVE: You're joking, right? How could an argument as one-sided as this ever linger over the (supposedly) intelligent memebers of the internet community? I'm so shocked I don't even know where to begin... I guess I'll start off with the obvious. The death star can pulverize a PLANET! Even with Scotty "givin' her all she's got," there's no way the Enterprise could withstand even one hit by that thing. And that's just the main gun. There are also thousands of smaller surface weapons, each of which would cause Kirk & Co. to go flying over the bridge railing if they hit the Enterprise. And of course, hitting the Enterprise wouldn't be difficult at all considering it's as manuverable as an ocean liner. Also, did I mention Tie-fighters? Swarms of them would descend on the Enterprise and blast it into smithereens. Also, did I mention the tractor beam? It would grab onto the Enterprise and hold it still while the main gun is warmed up...
    Ok, now let's look at what the Enterprise can do. A) Shoot it with phasers or a photon torpedo. Oh no! You've ruined the new paint job on my Death Star! The Death Star is so huge, that the Enterprise could blast at it all day and still not do anything significant to it. B) Run away. Yes, they could do that. They better do that if they want to live.

BRIAN: Oh, sure, Steve, it's really that obvious. You're forgetting the one asset the Enterprise has that the Death Star does not: transporters. Once Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura, and that nameless guy with the red shirt beam aboard, the Death Star will have a major permanent power outage and the Enterprise crew will walk away with only one casualty. All they have to do is get into transporter range. That is, get past the mighty planet disintegrater gun and the swarms of tie-fighters and it's cake. O.K., say the disintegrater gun is mis-firing that day, and all they have to do is get past the tie-fighters. The Enterprise. The ship that almost loses to 3 klingon warships must get past 100 tie-fighters. The ship that whenever it gets in trouble tries to open a hailing frequency. O.K., maybe not.

HA! But what you're really forgetting is that the Death Star, as shown in Episode IV, has a weak spot: All the Enterprise has to do is get close enough to fire a photon torpedo down that hole the size of a whomp-rat and the Death Star goes kablooie. So once the Enterprise gets close enough-...oh, yeah, I've already been over this. I don't think the Enterprise would even fit in those canyons on the surface anyway. O.K.: Scotty and Spock equip the Galileo shuttle craft with shields and photon torpedos. Maybe not.

You're right, Steve. Death Star in 2.3 seconds.

STEVE: Indeed, things would have to be going bad for the Death Star to succumb to the Enterprise. Here's a possible scenario under which it might happen: 1) All the Tie fighters had to be recalled due to unsafe plasma coils. 2) The night before the attack, all the weapons officers were up late celebrating "Death Star Day" and are hung over. 3) The garbage monster found it's way into a mai

2. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    All right, I know what you're saying "how could the Enterprise possibly win," but I gotta go with track record here:

Death Star is 0-2

Kirk's Enterprise, no losses, ever. He always wins! That's actually one of the reason I get annoyed by TOS of Trek.

On the other hand, both Death Stars get vaporized by a ship much much smaller then the Enterprise...

I hate to admit it, but I gotta go with the Enterprise.

3. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Good points on both sides. I'm going with the Death Star. It took The Chosen One's son to destroy the first one using the Force as his guide. Now, Spock may be brilliant and Kirk may be, well...whatever Kirk is. But last I checked neither had Force abilities. Awesome ship or not, Enterprise won't get close enough to use that talking computer to lock onto its weak spot.

4. Q_of_the_Continuum

Q_of_the_Continuum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2003
    Well, if it were the Enterprise D or E they would have a much better chance than the original Enterprise. But since you're talking about Kirk and his gang then yeah they'd get smoked. However it would be interesting to put the Enterprise D up against the Death Star. There was an episode I believe in either season 6 or 7 where the Enterprise had the ability to cloak. Not only that, it could also pass through normal matter. So if that were the case then it could cloak and not even be detected by the Death Star. Then they could just fly right inside and see what's going on, maybe find a way to defeat it. Between Picard, Data and Laforge they could surely figure out where the exhaust pipe or main reactor is, depending on which Death Star you talking about. [face_dancing]

5. Psycho_Jedi

Psycho_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2002
    Death Star, no question.

Actually me and my bro-in-law (who is a HUGE Star Trek and Star Wars fan) had this discussion a few years back. He admits that Star Trek would get there @$$e$ handed to them in the vehicle dept.

Death Star sees the Enterprise coming, locks on, and bang, game over for Enterprise.

6. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    All your arguments are logical...but you are forgetting the unbeatable Kirk. The man never looses! It is soooooooooo annoying! Whereas look at Vader...he's a loser from the get go! He looses his Mom, his limbs, his council seat, his job, his wife, his kids, and the 1st Death Star to quite possibly the only character out there more annoying then Kirk. He is destined to always loose, no matter what!

7. Psycho_Jedi

Jun 26, 2002
    He didn't lose the podrace!!!

8. Q_of_the_Continuum

Jul 14, 2003
    Actually, JKG, Kirk did lose the Enterprise in The Search for Spock. [face_shame_on_you]

9. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    Talking about the TV show.... (how's that for a recovery!)

Podrace chmodrace...Qui-gon probably fixed that too! ;)

Sorry, I refuse to be logical on this one, I must be the Devil's advocate!

10. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I do believe "Q" is our resident G'ville Star Trek expert. I think he only hangs out with us Star Wars geeks just to humor us. :p

11. Jedi_Master_Kel

Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    This is slightly off topic. Let's throw the Borg in for a second against the D.S. The Borg can assimilate and adapt to all kinds of stuff. Now the Death Star's main weapon, would destroy the Borg ship, but the smaller ones, the turbolasers, would be deflected once the Borg adapts to them. Since it takes a couple of minutes for the Death Star to fire it's main gun, if you have enough Borg ships, then it is possible to get one or several ships close enough to beam them aboard the D.S. If this happens and they assimilate enough of the D.S. crew, then they could defeat it. Also, I wonder, if they were to assimilate Vader or the Emperor, if all would gain knowledge of the force.

Back to the main question...All Enterprise ships would get spanked by the Death Star, period.

PS would be interesting to see Spock vs Chewbacca. I got Chewy winning it in 2 seconds, the time it takes for him to rip the ears off Spock. :)

12. Q_of_the_Continuum

Jul 14, 2003
    Okay, JKG, you're right. But I must say that is a mis-match. Maybe the Enterprise vs. a Star Destroyer would be a better fight. If you set up anyone for a match against the Death Star it would have to be a whole fleet of ships no matter who it is... the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, even the Borg! But if I were to put any 1 ship against the Death Star it would be the one Picard faced in Nemesis, the Scimitar. That thing was a MONSTER! A LOT bigger than the Enterprise, it had 52 distruptors and 27 torpedo banks, primary and secondary shields, could fire while cloaked, and a large shuttle bay with dozens of scorpion-class fighters. Not to mention the thalaron emitter, a weapon that destroys organic tissue.

That would be a much better match-up for the Death Star. =D=

13. TonyGoodwin

TonyGoodwin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2005
    http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Essays/FiveMinutes.html

14. benskywalker1

benskywalker1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2004
    Wanted to say a quick hello...and Death Star Hands down.

Remember we are talking about a 1 on 1 fight here. The Death Star is destroyed by FLEETS. There are far more poeple aboard the the Death Star than the Enterprise. I'm going to have to say that the Enterprise is more on the scale with a Star Destroyer...MAYBE....a Super Star Destroyer....but not the Death Star.

15. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    Yes, but Kirk does not EVER loose!!!!

16. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Oh boy, this is an argument I get into with my buddy that runs our local comic shop weekly. :) The Enterprise wouldnt have a chance in hades, period. The Enterprise would never fit down the trench to hit the exhaust port. Shatner goes down in a big boom within seconds, I would say...

17. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    But don't they have shuttle thingy's?

18. Psycho_Jedi

Jun 26, 2002
    Even if they do have shuttle thingys, I would think all the guns in the trench would probably take down a shuttle thingy. And if you bring TIE fighters into the picture since they are in the Death Star, no shuttle thingy would do the trick.

19. Q_of_the_Continuum

Jul 14, 2003
    Yes, the Enterprise does have shuttle crafts but they have minimal phasers I believe and they're probably too slow anyway... would be an easy target. I still say that's not a fair match-up. Chewy vs Worf is a lot more fair in my opinion. =D=

20. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    In one episode of TNG, they explained that the Enterprise's sheilds are immune to laser fire. Only phasers or disrupters could damage them sufficiently to punch through. By that logic, the main gun of the Death Star as well as most of it's other weaponry would be useless against it.

If that's true, Enterprise wins.

21. Psycho_Jedi

Jun 26, 2002
    If the main gun of the Death Star is big enough to blow up a planet, I would think it would overpower the shields. And even if it didn't, the main gun would hit the ship so hard it would blow the Enterprise into the next galaxy. Death Star still wins.

22. Q_of_the_Continuum

Jul 14, 2003
    Wait, isn't the main gun located in a certain spot on the Death Star? If that's true then all the Enterprise has to do is stay on the opposite side so it can't be targetted. [face_thinking]

23. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Which Death Star are we talking about? If it's the first Death Star then I would say it could be possible the Enterprise would be able to fire a single Proton Torpedo down the trench to the exhaust port... notice I said nothing about trying to maneuver the Enterprise into the trench.

If it is the Second Death Star then you would have to contend with the energy shield surrounding it. It could be possible to blow up the bunker from space... saving the Enterprise crew from the having to perform a ground assault. Then as long as the Enterprise stays away from the main gun it might be able to cut a hole through the infrastructure to the core using the main phaser banks and launch a proton torpedoes to take out the main reactor.

Now as long as the Enterprise shields can hold out from swarms of Tie Fighters then your winner could be Kirk. Though I still believe that Vader and crew would blow the Enterprise up as soon as they came out of warp.

On a side note, I have heard the argument that Vader could just use the Force to crush Kirk's throat from afar... however, other than using the Force for visions every other power displayed in the movies has been a line of sight thing... even if the Force wielder had his eyes closed... or view obstructed it was at least in the same room. Nothing in the movies support Vader being able to crush Kirk while sitting on the Death Star.

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force.
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

24. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Main Gun vs Shields: If you believe Trek canon, then no matter who big the gun, lasers will not penetrate the Enterprise shields. Now, they might be able to exert enough force to push the Enterprise away, but according the laws of physics, "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." Meaning that it would also send the Death Star scooting off in the opposite direction. Incidentally, I don't agree with the whole "no laser is powerful enough argument", but it is Trek canon.

Line of sight Force Powers: Doesn't Vader choke someone on a completely different ship in ESB?

25. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    I'm not sure if he is on a different ship but Vader is looking at him on the view screen... still he can see the target so line of sight holds true... now if Kirk was dumb enough to open a channel...

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force.
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.