main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GTA] Crime has never been more fun!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by moosemousse, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So I've been playing Chinatown Wars on my PSP a lot and I'm really loving it. The camera angle reminds me of the original games and the graphics are just fantastic. The story is a bit weird in places but there's enough to keep me going through it. Plus there's a load of stuff that can be unlocked on the Rockstar site. It's worth checking out if you have Chinatown Wars.

I've also just found out that both GTA and GTA2 are available for free from the Rockstar website! That's 100% free and 100% legal! Here they are!

Anyone else love these games?

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    GTA IV is one of my favorite games of this gen. The previous games (III through SA) were also amazing.

3. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    I love ALL the GTA games, they are always a blast to play. My favorite GTA game would have to be San Andreas, because the size of it was amazing and I absolutely loved to pilot all planes and helicopters on such a massive game.

Oh, and its one of the only few games I still use cheat codes for.:p

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Vice City is my favourite, and was the last one I actually finished. I quit San Andreas thanks to a stupid chase mission, and GTA IV because it started to get a little dull and had the worst characters ever. I just wanted to shoot them all, even Niko. :p

5. Chance the Jedi

Jul 25, 2005
    Yeah, I'm with you on that about GTA IV's main story and characters. I did like the two "Episodes of Liberty City" stories better though.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Loved the PS2 ones. I 100%ed San Andreas, and did everything in Vice City except the jumps. GTAIV I got annoyed with the final mission and have never finished it. I always get shot down in the helicopter. Ugh.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Oh, I loved GTA since the first one, riding bikes through pixellated Vice City, hunting rare Banshees. In both 1 and 2 I always only just messed around, often with cheats. 2 a lot in multiplayer with a friends, races and tank battles :D

After SA and 4, going back to 3 and VC was quite a shock. They're so tiny, and the later games simply have gameplay improvements I wouldn't want to miss. No, CJ's sex appeal wasn't one of them. And 4's infamous endless phone calls aren't that annoying, just hang up on them every time. Only dating the lawyer chick is useful, for everyone else their respect/like doesn't matter.

Started up 4 after my trip to NYC (why is Flatiron the wrong way round!?) but haven't finished it this time yet. Once I do, I'm definitely getting the episodes though. It's about time, but when they came out (for PC) I wasn't feeling GTA. Not that I am now.

8. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    Any objections to some GTA V speculation?

L.A. was supposedly confirmed as the setting a while ago by R*...

Wondering if there will be any connection to L.A. Noire...

Really wondering if they'll just recycle and modernize the map from L.A. Noire instead of using the usual fictionized small scale GTA maps...

Really, really wondering what kind of gameplay/innovation we can expect. Vice City introduced bikes and helicopters*, San Andreas gave us bicycles and fixed wing aircraft among many other new features, so I'm wondering what will be added to GTA V that we haven't seen before.

* Talking about 3D versions, here. 2D overhead was great for it's time, but 3D sandbox is where it's at, two turntables and a microphone.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah they've been free for quite a few years now. :p

Anyways, III and Chinatown Wars are the only two I've played extensively but I'm definitely a fan.

10. Chance the Jedi

Jul 25, 2005
    You know, you can use the refill health + armor cheat on the helicopter to repair it.:p

Thats what I do when I got into a sticky situation while in a vehicle.

11. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I tend to think with LA Noire on the way, the chance of an LA based GTA V is slim.

12. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Personally, I'm hoping for a setting we haven't seen before. There are plenty of other cities that would be a great setting rather than returning to Liberty, Vice, or San Andreas again.

I've played through III, Vice City, San Andreas, and IV multiple times and enjoyed them all. My favorite would be San Andreas because the map was large and diverse, and because the harrier jet was so fun to fly. IV and the two expansions were awesome as well and I rate them a close second. (I also spent hours playing around with the "haunted swing set" glitch. :p)

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I'd love to see a new game with terrain much like San Andreas. I loved the fact that there was vast expanses of country, forest, desert, etc. with highways connecting them. I didn't mind the big city, kind of compressed feel of IV but I do hope that with the capability of our current consoles (or even next-gen consoles) that we can see something like we did in SA, but on a much grander scale.

14. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Found a blog with a coupla links to the articles but I can't follow the links from work.

Dunno if this is true, but IGN had something similar posted a month or so ago which was where I first heard it.

Also, I agree with you guys. I loved SA and I would love to see something similar but different.

Sydney and some of the Outback would be nice.

Tokyo and as much of the surrounding area / other islands of Japan would be pretty sweet.

Second choice would be the Hawaiian Islands.

First choice would have to be Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula though.

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Trouble with non-US settings is that it limits the type and amount of jokes they can make at Americans' expense. Also with less notorious settings. Isn't Seattle known pretty much only for its weather? And is it that recognizable? Hell, I have trouble recognizing Chicago whenever it's on TV.

Why not Vice City again, but more than just the city. I hear Florida has, like, swamps and neighbouring southern states. And they could make fun of CSI one-liners. Probably even put that The Who song on the radio.

16. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Reasons Seatac area would be the perfect GTA setting with great gameplay opportunities:

1.It's an urban area already separated by water into sections that are pretty easy to limit access to by closing off bridges or the ferry for early in the game, and fictionizing or changing the layout wouldn't be necessary since it's already laid out like a R* city.

2.Lots of terrain variation and vegetation. Besides the hills in The Emerald City itself, you've got forests 15 minutes east, snow capped peaks 45 minutes east, rainforest a half hour west, Canada an hour or so north and sunny sandy beaches an hour and change southwest. Nobody likes a flat sterile grid unless the game is lightcycles :p

3. A coupla nearby military bases, and large ones at that.

4. A HUGE waterfront that doesn't require a dune buggy or dirtbike to traverse. Also, Seattle almost always has several ships in port for plenty of those swimming/infiltration missions San Andreas had.

5. Depending on the time period the game would be set in, some of the greatest music ever produced came from Seattle and could be included in the form of a radio station that played '90s Grunge or better yet, a string of missions for a local Grunge band similar to the Love Fist missions of Vice City and SA.

6. Pike's Place Market, The Space Needle, The Seattle Aquarium, The Experience Music Project, the Sci-Fi Museum and The Pacific Science Center. Imagine unlocking a space suit or Gene Simmon's KISS costume or the myriad of sci-fi costumes as a clothing option or just having a shootout while using a Gemini capsule or Kirk's chair for cover. The opportunities for pop culture hilarity mixed with R*'s sense of humor are almost endless.

7. A real crime rate comparable to other cities R* has already visited, making the mayhem possibilites seem plausible.

8. The biggest selling point though, is that it hasn't been overdone in entertainment media, making it a fresh experience for anyone who doesn't live there or hasn't played the X-Files PSOne game. [face_peace]

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    They did a London based expansion for either GTA or GTA2 so it wouldn't have to be set in the US. Maybe Tokyo would be good, or Hong Kong.

Also, I really like the top down view. You can see more of the action.

Hush you. I've known that GTA was free for years but GTA2 was news to me. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.