main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guaranteed Sucess?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by sonofcoruscant, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonofcoruscant

sonofcoruscant Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2006
    Do you think that the Live Action show will more or less be a guaranteed financial sucess for Lucas? I mean, what we may or may not think of the prequels you have to admit that no matter how good or bad they were everyone went to see them. Do you think you will keep watching the show if it is bad, or do you think that the non fanatic SW fans will? Its kind of interesting to think about. For my part, if its SW Ill be there till the bitter, or not so bitter end.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Lucas could put an LFL symbol on a polished poop and the loyal fans would buy it.

No matter what, it'll make money. What does he need more money for now? All he's doing it for is to force some more crap idea onto us poor loyal fans.

3. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Well you never know he may have a good idea. ROTS was a good idea, while AOTC was okay, and TPM was below par.

4. sonofcoruscant

sonofcoruscant Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2006
    I gotta admit though, even if it was horrible I would buy it and watch it... I feel dirty

5. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    ROTS was an awesome idea on paper, but complete nonsense when put together.

But let's not get derailed into a basher/gusher war ;)

My only point is that no matter what it will still be big. Despite me getting annoyed by all three of the PT, I'll still be hunting for spoilers, and waiting for the release date of the TV show!

6. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Well I like many others on this board loved ROTS but lets agree to disagree. In your case since you did not like the PT films that much maybe you will like the TV Series better since Lucas will probably not be a regular writer for the series and will most likely not direct often either.

7. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    That's actually a really good point - because of the fresh writing team and directing team it might be really good.

I'd like to see young writers/directors be given a chance to put their own stamp on the SW universe.

I occasionally watch fan films and everyone I've seen was pretty good. I'm not suggesting that Lucas should employ fan film makers, but it's clear that people can develop exciting unique ideas within the SW Universe.

My real point is that no matter what it will be popular and a success.

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The big problem I see is when the series starts to do good with the different writers and it starts to win Emmy's and the bashing of the prequels begin again with statements like " These writers should have done the prequels", "They know how to write true and invigorating star wars", "The TV shows blows the prequel movies out". I could go on and on, just remeber both the KOTOR video games. The video game magazines were saying how that the prequels were no match for the story content that was created. The clone wars animated cartoon series won three emmy awards and one annie award, was very succesful for the cartoon network in ratings, and jump started the career of GT, and some people were saying that GL should take a page of GT. When that starts to happen, then you'll know the series was a success.

9. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Very good point.

10. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Well young Indy had the name going for it but it didn't go over in the US.

11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I hope that everything that comes out from star wars is good and that its not compared to the prequel movies, but wishing and having are two different things. I have enjoyed the colorful commentaries on this site, and the only thing that I wish for the future of star wars is to make every product that comes out succcesful.

12. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    I think that it will do okay, but will probably depend on word-of-mouth at first, much as the original film did.

13. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Well, I would he that they'd need more than just hardcore fans to succeed financially. Especially since on TV, the viewers need to come back week after week, and they'll presumably only tolerate so much low-quality stuff. I'll watch it faithfully, but I don't have a ratings box so I guess it doesn't matter.

14. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    that's a good point - the three years between movies allowed even the hardest of 'bashers' to forget why the hated the last movie, and go to watch the new movie with optimism.

However, let people see crap every week and they'll quickly stop watching.

I watched all of the StarTrek series until Enterprise - it just didn't work for me, so I stopped watching.

15. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    If the TV Series is crap it will fail but even if it is just decent it will do fine since it is Star Wars after all.

16. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Aside from quality, I think one of the biggest deciding factors in the series' success will be what channel they're broadcast on.

There are several possibilities:
    -Fox
    -F/X
    -Spike TV
    -Sci-Fi Channel
    -Cartoon Network (for the animated series)

17. pakatak

pakatak Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2002

I think the 1st season will be successful. After that it all depends on if it is quality. I was a Uber Star trek fan, but eventually they went to the well way to many times.

One thing i think about lucas is that he cares if it is just crap. I don't think he intentionally wants to just get as much as he can out of Star Wars just to make money. This is evidenced by his continued involvment. Now i know alot of people don't agree with his vision of quality Star Wars, but i sure enjoy it.

If Star Wars goes down the tube, i'll be out. Life is too rich to be obsessed with something you h8.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Well young Indy had the name going for it but it didn't go over in the US.<<

Well, the thing there was Young Indy didn't deliver the same thing people sought from the Indy movies- the movies were escapist action-adventures, while Young Indy was designed to be more educational.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.