main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Guardian in the Mountains (Bail/Leia/Sabé post-ROTS vignettes) Author's Note 01/30/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TKeira_Lea, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    GUARDIAN IN THE MOUNTAINS

As promised here is my parallel series to Guardian in the Desert. Each set of vignettes will chronicle the life of Luke and Leia between ROTS and ANH. They will be posted as inspiration strikes.

This is Leia?s story.

Once again, Leona, I don't know why but one little typo inspired another bunny :p

I hope you enjoy.

As always, this is not my universe, I am simply playing in George's sandbox.

[b][u]Unbroken Bonds[/u][/b]

Unbroken Bonds

"Wuickly!"

At the sound of Leia?s high-pitched command, Bail lifted his gaze from the ever-shifting datascreens filled with mindless Senate drivel. For over an hour he had been sitting in the shade of the palace veranda, attempting to work quietly so he wouldn?t distract his daughter. He spared a few seconds to track the progress of her latest endeavor ? to train her new pet. The sight of the diminutive child trying to wrestle a wuicka twice her size into submission was silly enough to curl the corner of his mouth.

"Wuickly, come," Leia said, popping her fists onto her hips. Her lower lip firmly stuck out, the five-year-old looked every inch of serious as she scrutinized her predicament.

Bail could practically see the possibilities run their course behind her dark eyes. Infinite options all simply to cajole the enormous furry canine into doing her will. A cant of the head. A tilt of the hip. An arch of the brow. She had considered it all. Newly determined, Leia marched around to the wuicka?s backside, bent over ? and began to push.

"She is quite a fighter, that one, sir."

Bail turned to find his chief of staff standing just over his shoulder. All joy in the moment fled Bail?s heart; he had told D?Ajou to not bother him today, save an emergency. Today was to be a day of quiet reflection ? some rare time alone with Leia. A moment of peace among the chaos that had become his life in the Imperial Senate.

In the Empire, time and peace were fleeting, as elusive as a shoikler one tried to catch in the hand. An endless stream of disturbances to be quieted, incidents to be handled, emergencies to be addressed. What emergency, Bail wondered, would steal another set of precious minutes from his daughter? Had she not sacrificed enough in the name of Imperial "peace"?

As Bail pondered the many circumstances that might have erupted into the moment?s drama, D?Ajou maintained a serene, almost jubilant, expression. Oddly, he exhibited none of the usual signs of impending doom that so often shrouded his countenance. D?Ajou had been Bail?s chief of staff since the Clone Wars, and he was a man to be trusted. So perhaps this time it was important, but not bad.

Bail inhaled. "What is it, D?Ajou?"

The white-haired man bowed his head curtly. "I apologize, sir, for the interruption. There is a young lady here to speak with you."

D?Ajou had one soft spot ? the plight of the struggling outland cities, whose citizens had been resisting the policies of their sector?s Imperial governor, and suffering for it. There was always a pleading insurgent or hungry mother? "If it is another of the FEA representatives, she will have to ?"

"No, sir. This is not about [i]that[/i]." D?Ajou glanced over his shoulder, then back. "This young lady is a [i]maiden[/i] from the high country. She is in need of a helping [i]hand[/i]. Her plight is one the Emperor has brought on so many of those [i]closest[/i] to him."

His aide?s cues froze Bail?s blood. What had been done to Padmé?s homeworld was something no one spoke of. The fear of such atrocities befalling another planet kept all others in line. No other system wished to become another example of Imperial might like poor Naboo. Bail had pledged on Leia?s life that he would do whatever it took to ensure Alderaan remained a haven for his daughter to grow up happy and secure. Casting one quick glance back to be sure she was completely immersed in her wuicka?s training, he snatched D?Ajou by the tuni

2. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    First reply! [face_dancing]

The sight of the diminutive child trying to wrestle a wuicka twice her size into submission was silly enough to curl the corner of his mouth.
    Gives the ?holding Vader?s leash? line a whole new meaning. [face_laugh] Seriously, though, what a great image for Leia?s first appearance in the series. That?s the fire and stubbornness we all expect from her. ;)

as elusive as a shoikler
    :p

What emergency, Bail wondered, would steal another set of precious minutes from his daughter? Had she not sacrificed enough in the name of Imperial ?peace??
    What a touching fatherly moment, and a somber one. Bail doesn?t just have to make sacrifices for his career ? his entire career is a sacrifice now, playing along in the Imperial Senate while risking everything to hide Leia and organize the Rebellion. To serve what he seeks to destroy? :(

What had been done to Padmé?s homeworld was something no one spoke of. The fear of such atrocities befalling another planet kept all others in line. No other system wished to become another example of Imperial might like poor Naboo.
    I really like this aspect of the scene for two reasons. One, you know I agree with you completely on Naboo?s fate ? that canon should give the planet a tragic fate under the repressive New Order, instead of the much kinder fate it seems to have quietly been given (in Galaxies, mostly). Two, it?s a powerful parallel to the fate Alderaan later suffers at the hands of the Empire ? in a way, the atrocities of Naboo mark the beginning of the reign of the Empire, and the atrocity of Alderaan marks the beginning of the end.

Hmm? The atrocities of Naboo. Another plot bunny? [face_thinking] [face_batting] 8-}

Instantly, Bail recognized the abilities of one trained to walk hidden even in the light.
    Wonderful symbolism. Hiding in plain sight, just like Leia herself?

On the day the Empire had become a reality, Padmé alone had foreseen the horrible crush of Palpatine?s rule upon those who would stand against him. She had instructed him to be a good little Senator, then set the seeds of revolution into the wind, charging a few loyal friends with spreading this new hope far and wide.
    Great connection to the ROTS novelization. I really wish George had left more of that scene in the film, so that we could more plainly see Padmé as the mother of the Rebellion, just as Vader is the father of the Empire.

And I also like how Bail still draws on Padmé?s legacy and insight in opposing the Empire and raising Leia. It shows why he was the perfect choice as her guardian, even if he never set out to become that when he went to look for Yoda and other Jedi after Order 66.

Bail stroked his beard in all seriousness, even as he envied the wuicka?s carefree abandon.
    What a great image. I have no doubt Bail plays the placating father role quiet often with his young daughter. :D

?But you are not a citizen,? Leia countered.
    There?s that smartmouth again. I?m really going to enjoy watching her grow up. ;)

He asked everything and only one thing of her. ?Please. Stay.?
    You?re always so good with the parallels, and this time it?s a great connection to Guardian in the Desert. One friend and mentor who must watch from afar; the other who will be kept close? :cool:

Can?t wait for more. :D

3. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Wow. That's all I can say... Wow. Really fabulous job. =D= =D= =D=

4. Rebel_Princess89

Rebel_Princess89 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    Normally I don't read anything in the Saga but I just had to read your vignette. :p :D

?She is quite a fighter, that one, sir.? So true, in so many ways.

What had been done to Padmé?s homeworld was something no one spoke of. The fear of such atrocities befalling another planet kept all others in line. No other system wished to become another example of Imperial might like poor Naboo. :_| I don't even want to think about what happened.

?My duty is still to Padmé, to her legacy,? Sabé answered while drawing up her hood once more. When Padme die, I started crying.:(

Excellent, not that you write anything else. =D= And I really liked Guardian in the Desert. Nice parallels between the two.

Rebel Princess

5. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Great job. That was really beautifully written. Now both of the twins have a connection to their real parents. And stubborn Leia was so cute and realistic. These ROTS vingettes are absolutely excellent. =D=
    --Wynssa

6. Koori

Koori Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Very nice, TKL.

7. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Aw, Leia has a guardian now too [face_love]

8. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    What a wonderful beginning TKL. :) You had Leia spot on, even at such a young age. I llok forward to seeing what you do with her as this goes along.

9. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I can definitely imagine little Leia being a handful - and stubborn. :)

10. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    How cute!!! That was awesome TKL!

11. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It's here! [face_dancing]

In the Empire, time and peace were fleeting, as elusive as a shoikler one tried to catch in the hand.

Hee hee! :D

I just love your characterization of Bail. :D So many aspects here: Senator, father, Rebel, friend, and all of them ring perfectly true. In one vignette, you show him to be as complex a man as he truly is. :D Leia, too, is exactly as she should be. Imperious from the start, that one. :p And poor, poor Sabé! :( I loved it all - hardly a surprise. ;) [:D]

12. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Great viggie, my twin. :D

Princess Leia is perfectly characterized.

Newly determined, Leia marched around to the wuicka?s backside, bent over ? and began to push.
    [face_laugh] I laughed at the image that evoked and remembered this line from the adult Leia: ?Would it help if I got out and pushed?? :p

What had been done to Padmé?s homeworld was something no one spoke of. The fear of such atrocities befalling another planet kept all others in line. No other system wished to become another example of Imperial might like poor Naboo. Bail had pledged on Leia?s life that he would do whatever it took to ensure Alderaan remained a haven for his daughter to grow up happy and secure.
    :( :_| Poor Bail, makes the fate of Alderaan that much more sad. But what really happened to Naboo? [face_worried]

He forced himself to stop staring at this woman ? Padmé?s virtual double ? and look down at his daughter. ?Yes, my little princess??

Smile, he reminded himself. And so he did, because Leia missed nothing.

How unsettling that must have been for Bail, and in Leia?s presence too. :(

She twisted her gaze back to her father. ?She looks like me and ??

Leia indeed does not miss anything?

Sabé stepped into the afternoon light and drifted the short distance to Leia. Guilt and any number of similar emotions washed over Bail as he watched the woman who had sworn to protect Padmé bend down to address his lost friend?s child. He wouldn?t ? he couldn?t ? endanger the stability of Alderaan for any person. Sabé was a resourceful woman; she would find a place among the stars. She would fight the good fight, just not here and now.

And that?s really how I see Bail Organa? Someone who would always make the difficult choices for the good of everyone else. Noble in every way? :)

?May the Force be with you, then.?

?I would rather it not,? she whispered. With a tip of the head, she was gone.

Very interesting!

This is awesome, mi gemela! I can?t wait for more. :D

13. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    ooh what a lovely counterpoint to Luke's story.

looking forward to more

14. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Lovely as always! I really enjoyed seeing Leia from Bail's POV and how he struggled to raise her and fight in the Rebellion during those dark years.

And Leia Ysbell! Did you hear that the newest Norwegian princess is named Leah Isadora after Princess Leia? Something about the similarity in names just struck me... [face_thinking]

I'd love to see where these go :)

Great job!

15. DarthPolymerase

DarthPolymerase Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    ?Yes,? Bail said. ?We have tried to instill in Leia the importance of not discussing her heritage openly, but she is a ??

?Stubborn child.?

This was my favorite line because it was so cute! Great work--I love the sense of spirit that you give Leia. I'm definitely looking forward to an update!

16. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Wonderful job TKL! This is not my forte, but i really do enjoy this so far!

17. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    That was beautiful! =D= I couldn't begin to think who would come to Leia... but Sabe' was the perfect choice. Not to mention, it seems to fix that whole "I remember my mother, very sad, very beautiful," thing from RotJ. No one would have had to tell Leia that Sabe' was her mother, she may have assumed that on her own. [face_thinking] Also I can see the potential for this being the start of Leia's political, self-defense, etc. training just as Obi-Wan has already begun Luke's lesson's on the Force.

Sabe' doesn't want the Force with her? [face_thinking] I suppose that isn't too surprising... if she witnessed Anakin's fall, even from afar, she's probably feeling very betrayed by anything to do with the Force & the Jedi right now. :(

18. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
  19. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    *this is a badly disgused bump*

Maybe someday we'll get replies! [face_not_talking]

j/k TKL, I know DRL has been a killer [:D]

20. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    GOOD EVENING!

Woo! Guess I am a bit behind on replying [face_blush] But I?m back so here goes?

Lex: First reply! Woohoo! [ :D ]

Gives the ?holding Vader?s leash? line a whole new meaning.

It?s funny but when I first wrote that I didn?t see the whole analogy. But upon a reread before sending it off to beta I said, ?Aha!? My subconscious mind must be brilliant :p

What a touching fatherly moment, and a somber one. Bail doesn?t just have to make sacrifices for his career ? his entire career is a sacrifice now, playing along in the Imperial Senate while risking everything to hide Leia and organize the Rebellion. To serve what he seeks to destroy?

Yeah well you know that wouldn?t be me. He?s a better man than I for holding his tongue and riding out the storm :)

One, you know I agree with you completely on Naboo?s fate ? that canon should give the planet a tragic fate under the repressive New Order, instead of the much kinder fate it seems to have quietly been given (in Galaxies, mostly). Two, it?s a powerful parallel to the fate Alderaan later suffers at the hands of the Empire ? in a way, the atrocities of Naboo mark the beginning of the reign of the Empire, and the atrocity of Alderaan marks the beginning of the end.

Exactly! I just shut my eyes when the they show the Naboo celebration in ROTJ. To me, it does not exist. [face_plain]

Hmm? The atrocities of Naboo. Another plot bunny?

Of course :D

You?re always so good with the parallels, and this time it?s a great connection to Guardian in the Desert. One friend and mentor who must watch from afar; the other who will be kept close?

Two separate and unique prisons, yet so alike.

VadersMistress: Wow. That's all I can say... Wow. Really fabulous job.

Rebel_Princess89: Normally I don't read anything in the Saga but I just had to read your vignette.

I am honored [:D]

I don't even want to think about what happened.

Think Echoes of the Past ;)

WynssaStarflare: That was really beautifully written.

Now both of the twins have a connection to their real parents.

Ah yes. Woefully sad, heartbreaking connections. I feel for Obi-Wan and Sabé

And stubborn Leia was so cute and realistic.

Well I have a great forestory to draw from?

Koori: Very nice, TKL.

Thank you for reading :)

Shinar: Aw, Leia has a guardian now too

Of course. SW is a world of parallels. I just had to do this. Although originally I had planned for Bail to be the guardian, then I realized he wasn?t the right one. He?s the parent and that?s a whole different role.

obi_ew: You had Leia spot on, even at such a young age.

Thanks! I think she?s pretty easy to put on paper as far as outward appearance and actions. Carrie Fisher just gave her such pizzazz [face_mischief]

I llok forward to seeing what you do with her as this goes along.

Are you guys feeding my typos on purpose? :p [face_laugh]

Master_Noi: I can definitely imagine little Leia being a handful - and stubborn.

Yeah, just what every parent dreams of? :p

Phoenix_Reborn: How cute!!!

Heehee! I can just imagine what Leia will say in twenty years to be calling cute [face_laugh]

Kima: I just love your characterization of Bail. So many aspects here: Senator, father, Rebel, friend, and all of them ring perfectly true. In one vignette, you show him to be as complex a man as he truly is.

Wow! Thanks! I talked with my Evil Partner quite a bit on how to portray Bail. He?s sort of the great unknown of the SW Saga. I can only surmise from what little we know of him in the books and movies and from Leia herself. Glad you thought I hit the mark.

Leia, too, is exactly as she should be. Imperious from the start, that one.

Imperious from the start! [face_laugh]

Red: Princess Leia is perf

21. Yui-chan

Yui-chan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    Ohmygod. How I love this. :)

I loved loved loved the way you portrayed Sabé here, and felt kind of sad that Bail was kinda cold to her (but at least he made up for that later ;) ). Thank you for writing this.

I'm off to read the Luke part of your story. :)

22. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    I think it's great that you finally got this started. A greatv start. I'll be back for more.

23. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    Well, I'm fianlly getting around to leaving you feedback on this story on the boards. Better late than never.

?Wuickly, come,? Leia said, popping her fists onto her hips. Her lower lip firmly stuck out, the five-year-old looked every inch of serious as she scrutinized her predicament.

Heehe. I just loved this part. How very like Leia to analyze the situation to figure out how to make it better.

Had she not sacrificed enough in the name of Imperial ?peace??

So sad. Little does he know how much more she'll sacrificed, or how much she'll gain.

The fear of such atrocities befalling another planet kept all others in line.

This line reminded me of Tarken on the Death Star: "Fear will keep the local systems in line, fear of this battle station."

Bail had pledged on Leia?s life that he would do whatever it took to ensure Alderaan remained a haven for his daughter to grow up happy and secure.

This line is sooooo completely sad. Sad because we know that Alderaan is eventually destroyed for much of the same reason that Naboo was.

She had instructed him to be a good little Senator, then set the seeds of revolution into the wind, charging a few loyal friends with spreading this new hope far and wide.

Interesting because Padme couldn't have possibly known how much she was intrusting Bail with when she instructed him to spread this New Hope. Or how far it would go, or how similar Leia would become to her.

She squinted for an instant. ?Of course.?

That's Leia, always regal, even at age 5.

?She is perceptive,? Sabyne noted. Like her mother was left unsaid.

So sad. She is so much like her mother though. More than she'll ever know.

?Sabé-yne.? He sprinted up to the handmaiden and took her by the arm. He asked everything and only one thing of her. ?Please. Stay.?

At least he could recognize the importance of Leia having some knowledge of her mother. Sabe ROCKS!

Fabulous job! Looking forward to more!

24. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Oh, this is wonderful. Love your characterization of Leia. I could picture her stubborn frustrations so easily as she tried to train her pet.

Looking forward to more! :)

25. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    GOOD AFTERNOON!

A couple quick replies from my wonderful vacation spot :D

Yui-chan: Ohmygod. How I love this.

Thank you :D

I loved loved loved the way you portrayed Sabé here, and felt kind of sad that Bail was kinda cold to her (but at least he made up for that later ).

Poor Bail. I think he has a wamr heart but he's too much a man of responsibility to show it often. I'm tickled you loved Sabe, that was a first time trying to write her. :)

Lucid_Lady: I think it's great that you finally got this started.

It was a chore to get down but I'm happy about it too [face_dancing]

Wildcat:

So sad. Little does he know how much more she'll sacrificed, or how much she'll gain.

:_| Poor Bail will never know! :_|

This line reminded me of Tarken on the Death Star: "Fear will keep the local systems in line, fear of this battle station."

You so smart ;)

That's Leia, always regal, even at age 5.

Yep. [face_mischief] That's how I see her.

Gina: Love your characterization of Leia.

I could picture her stubborn frustrations so easily as she tried to train her pet.

Train or order? :p Leia it seems always wanted to be "in charge." [face_laugh]

Looking forward to more!

Working on it ;) I have Luke's six-year-old viggie up so now it's time for Leia's [face_industrious]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.