main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Guardian (Kyp, Jaina, post-"Invincible")

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Title: Guardian
    Author: DantanaSkywalker
    Rating: G
    Timeframe: Legacy of the Force: Invincible
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo
    Genre: angst
    Keywords: angst
    Summary: After Jacen Solo's funeral, Kyp keeps watch over Jaina.
    Author Notes: I'm just playing in the world, I don't own it. Nothing's used with permission and anything weird is entirely the fault of my brain.

He's not her guardian. Not officially. He knows this, but can't help finding himself sitting on the floor outside her door, after her brother's funeral, an echo of the night he did the same after Anakin's death. She's not asleep. He can hear her pacing inside, and the occasional weeping reaches him through the door.

Kyp knows he probably shouldn't be here, keeping watch, but there's nowhere else for him to be right then. He's not her master, hasn't been for over ten years, never truly was in the first place. But she's his friend, and he hers, and even if she'll never reciprocate the feelings he's tried so hard to bury, he's here for her should she need him. He'll help pull her back to the light. It's what he does.

There's a sound near the door, and he realises she's standing just on the other side. He's done nothing to hide his presence, but he's done nothing to call attention to it, either. A moment later, though the locked door is between them, he knows she's sat down, her back to his.

His commlink chirps. He looks and sees a text message.

Why are you sitting outside my door?

Kyp smirks, shakes his head. You know why. You need anything?

A long moment goes by. My brothers back.

He sighs. That one is beyond my powers, Sticks. I'm sorry.

There's a flash of anger through the door, not directed at him, precisely. Everyone says that. They weren't there. They don't KNOW.

Kyp stares at the words for a while. He knows. He knows better than just about anyone could. I know. I wish I could tell you that it gets better. It just gets... Duller. Like a deep bruise instead of a stab wound.

There's a pulse of grief from her. Did you have to use that particular phrase?

He winces. Of course. She'd shoved her lightsaber through Jacen's heart. Wasn't thinking, sorry.

It's okay.

Kyp leans his head back against the door. He doesn't know what to say. He's already talked to her some about fratricide, while she was in the infirmary. But tonight, she seems more vulnerable than she had then, and then had been pretty damn vulnerable.

You wanna talk? he sends.

Not really.

Okay.

She says, You should go sleep.

When you do.

I feel I'm never going to sleep again.

I know.

Then he hears her crying again. Kyp hates to hear it, doesn't know how to comfort her. She's not his to comfort the way she needs. And where is Head of State Fel, anyway? He'd seen the man earlier at the funeral, but not since.

You want me to track down Jag? he inquires.

There's a pause in her crying. Then she sends, No. We had a fight. He's gone back to Bastion.

You break up again?

We weren't really back together.

That surprises him. Jag had been the one to carry Jaina away after- After. He knows they've spent a great deal of time together in recent months. He'd just assumed they'd picked up where they'd left off.

He left. I needed him and he left.

Kyp stares at the words, feeling her anguish through the Force. He's not surprised at Jag's callousness. He's seen it before, wanted to punch him then as much as he does now.

He stands, presses his hand to the door. "Open the door."

"Why?" comes her muffled reply.

"Just open the door, Goddess. Please."

A few moments pass. Then a minute. Two. Five. Just as he thinks about sitting down again, the lock disengages and the door slides open. Jaina is a mess, eyes red and face puffy from crying, hair tangled. There are purple smudges under her dark eyes, and she's so pale.

She doesn't speak, so he does.

"He left. He does that a lot. But I'm still here. I've always been here, and I'm always going to be here. Partners, remember?"

She looks down at the commlink she's still holding, then back at him. Her smile is just a brief flash of upturned corners, but it's enough.

"Partners," she agrees, and steps back to let him in.

Amon_Amarth, AzureAngel2 and mulberry like this.
  2. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
  3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    This is just heartbreaking. :_| Love the relationship between Jaina and Kyp. Loved him reminding her that even when Jag comes and goes, serving his own whims rather than sticking around for Jaina, Kyp has always and will always be there for her. Just wonderful.=D=

4. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Obviously, I ship them, but I also just love their friendship. As much as she and Jag supposedly love each other, I don't see them being friends to each other, which is sad.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: That in and of itself is a telling contrast! Jag leaves and Kyp never will. [face_love] [face_love] !!!!! SQUEE!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You play tricks with my heart... [face_shame_on_you]... =((... ;)... [face_love]

Yet I loved this story!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I considered making this part of "Waiting For A Star To Fall", setting it between "Yellow" and "Breakeven", but it doesn't quite fit.

Thanks! I've got a bunch more linked in my profile you may not have seen.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I hope that I will finally get around to them. So little time to spend on-line these days!