main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub **Guardians of Light: The EUC Jedi ~ ~ Close Your Eyes... Feel It... the Light. ~ ~**

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Bardan_Jusik, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Well my first training experiences were with the Galactic Defenders back in 2004. I was only 15/16 back then. In my young age I was incredibly naive and immature. As such, I only really understood the code on a surface level. I knew what it was and how use it to guide my path, but only now am I able to truly interpret it and read between the lines, so to speak.

To illustrate it with an example, I will evaluate the code twice. First will be how I would have evaluated it back in 2004, and then next will be how I do it now.

2004:
    There is no emotion, there is peace. - A Jedi must not give into their emotions, and instead remain at peace with themselves.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. - A Jedi seeks knowledge above all, and will always endeavor to try to understand things better before judging them.
    There is no passion, there is serenity. - A Jedi must calm their mind and not give into their inner desires.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony. - A Jedi seeks to be at peace with all living things.
    There is no death, there is the Force. - A Jedi does not fear death or try to prevent it. Instead, they welcome it as a natural part of life and rejoice when someone becomes one with the Force.
    2018:
    There is no emotion, there is peace. - Emotions are a natural and normal thing that cannot be avoided, but a Jedi must center themselves and maintain control of those emotions if they are to maintain peace, both peace within themselves, and the peace they seek to uphold in the Galaxy.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. - The Jedi value knowledge above all things and must always keep an open mind. This keeps a Jedi from attacking blindly when they could be making peace instead, resolving a potentially deadly conflict with diplomacy, possibly even making new allies in the process.
    There is no passion, there is serenity. - Passion isn't necessarily a bad thing on its own, however if let run unchecked it can cloud ones' mind and guide them down a dark path. However, it can be utilized for the greater good by a Jedi if they make sure their passions aren't entirely selfish and they are mindful of their actions and what might happen as a result of them. It is with this awareness, that passion becomes conviction and serenity, or the state of being calm, peaceful and untroubled, remains intact.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony. - A Jedi strives to maintain balance. Not just "balance in the Force", but they also must balance themselves. This isn't really balance in terms of a scale with equal light on one end and equal dark on the other end but rather balance similar to that of the ecosystem in a rainforest. When the ecosystem in a rainforest is healthy, or "balanced", every bit of life in the forest gets what it needs to survive for however long it needs to survive. The rain falls at a regular interval, allowing the plants that small insects eat to grow. Then in turn, those insects are available for the smaller animals that eat them, and then predators that eat those animals. However, chaos ensues if say, loggers come in and chop down a bunch of trees. Without those trees, their leaves cannot intercept rainfall for the forest below to receive and as a result the plants the insects feed off of wither and die, following by the rest of the food chain. The harmony the Jedi seeks to uphold is much like the trees of the rainforest. Without it, chaos creeps in and everything dies.
    There is no death, there is the Force - Death is a natural part of life, and to try to prevent it would go against the natural order a Jedi seeks to uphold. The Jedi believe that all things happen for a reason, including death. Instead of seeking to prevent death, a Jedi must rejoice when life passes on to the Force.

Wisdom and diligence. Over the past few years I have experienced numerous hardships and trials in my life that have toughened my resolve and served as learning experiences. I am a very patient and tenacious with the experience needed to be able to discern the best course of action.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Task for Bonus Points

Rey's experiences with the Force seem to be very much in the way of sensing the currents of future possibilities, like converging and diverging paths in a river.

She does not seem to be keyed into persons per se or to have a honed danger sense.

This kind of wide-open panoramic perspective seems like it could facilitate seeing things in the grander picture, although the immedicacy and best-chosen nature of one course over another could be obscured.

[face_thinking]

@Ananta Chetan

3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    IC: Semajj Nosrep
    Great Hall; Temple of Light

The Ongree master had been celebrating, and socializing with the others on the grand occasion of Kassokay Nuro Acyk's knighting. It was always a wonderful occasion when one of their own moved up in rank. Though sadly it couldn't last forever, and as the party began to grow quiet, Semajj broke away from the other councilors, datapad in hand, looking again for the new Knight.

He found the Twi'lek in a small group of other Jedi, and he patiently waited for the group to disband. It did not take long, Besides being common curtesy, it would be obvious that a Jedi Master would only interrupt them for something important.

"Congratulations again on your achievement Jedi Acky. As I stated before, you have a bright future ahead of you in our order. As a demonstration of that fact, we have a mission for you specifically."

Imagine that, a mission so soon after ones knighting. It was a rare thing for an individual assignment to be handed out in immediate aftermath of such a celebration, but these were unusual circumstances.

Master Nosrep handed the new Knight the datapad he was holding. The instructions were vague, so the assumption ought to be that more details would be revealed at a latter point.

Mission 7G66-ASAR

In one Standard Day, at the Noon hour,
    You are to Meet Jedi Master Semajj Nosrep and his apprentice Vanora Cinali at Hanger Bay One.
    You will be debriefed further upon leaving the planet

Equipment Needed: Winter Gear.

Semajj simply smiled, and nodded, before turning back and rejoining the council on the other side of the chamber.
    All would be revealed in time.

Tag: @Kyber Acyk, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

OOC: Consider this a warning, over the next week or so the three of us will be having an off planet mission in RPG format. Feel free to take the next day to prepare as you see fit, IC. and OOC. I will start the next stage of this task at some point tomorrow (Not necessarily at the noon hour as stated in the post). Needless to say this mission has been sanctioned by the Jedi Council.;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Could you elaborate on your recent response to the final line? As in how would you define a Jedi not preventing death, and yet still saving people even from "natural' things such as finding cures for diseases like in the Blue Shadow Virus, helping with natural disasters, and having the agricultural corps help with famine? Not for points or anything, just wanna gauge your answer.

5. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    @vncredleader - it honestly depends. Like with what I said about passion, you need to make sure the actions you take to save those people will have negative repercussions and that there's no selfishness involved. In the case of the blue shadow virus, that was an engineered plague that would've upset the natural balance if it were allowed to run its course. However, in the case of something like Anakin trying to save Padme, his motivations were more selfish and the actions he took had no regard for any repercussions they may have had. Ultimately, when a Jedi takes action they need to be mindful of why they're doing it, how they're doing it, and what will happen after they do it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    IC: Vanora Cinali

The Knighting Ceremony had been exquisite and quite moving. Vanora sampled a second helping of fried tubers and noticed Master Nosrep speaking with Knight Acyk and handing him a datapadd.

She felt a stir of irrepressible and undeniable curiosity.

Was this related to an upcoming mission, and would she be tasked to come along? She felt a frisson of anticipation.

@ConservativeJedi321 [face_batting] :D

7. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    If I may submit my own response in between real world stuff:

IC: .Tython

So good to see Master Luke teaching in this video. Words and imagery are coming together in Rey's mind to reach understandings of the force.

Luke is guiding Rey's imagery. Rey simply speaks back what she sees. Her state of mind is relaxed. The "In between-ness" is the interconnectedness of life. The cycle of life and death is also in her visualization.

Why is this scene important? Luke seems to be giving to Rey a part of his force abilities as he opens her mind. At the same time, he is also manifesting her connection to the living force. Time and pressure require Luke to pass his force abilities on to an apprentice. They were able to share a moment of peace.

@Ananta Chetan

8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Personally I feel it depends more on HOW the intervention is done. Saving your wife from dying in childbirth is an understandable and good thing to do. It's a matter of what you do in order to save said person. Anakin killed innocent people in order to try and save her, or in other cases people prolonging their life by leeching the lives of others. It is not wrong cause they are preventing death, it's wrong cause they are perverting the lives of others in order to keep themselves or one person they care for alive. After all we see Jedi stop things that are part of the natural balance like famine and animal attacks. Otherwise it would be wrong for them to kill that Gundark in "Dooku Captured" or those animals in 'Jedi Crash".

I do think Shatterpoint honestly handles the topic better than any story. Personally i don't feel the Jedi serve the natural balance exactly, like they will not do things like leech the lives of others like Andeddu, but they will still fight back against nature for the sake of others. Mace puts it best

“Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm.”

In that same story someone else asks Mace why he saves people if they are naturally gonna die anyways, mace says that he never even thought about that cause the Jedi seek to protect people. The symbol of the jungle in shatterpoint is 'natural balance"; dog eat dog and so on. In nature the strongest wins. The Jedi are not a part of that, the Jedi value the sanctity of life, if they served the natural balance of life then they would be like vastor and fight by "jungle rules" aka might makes right. like the quote above; the Jedi serve civilization. They serve life above all else, which brings the complications with preventing death, ie the old 'can you take lives to save lives?"

9. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    IC: Kassokay Acyk

Kassokay took the datapad from Master Semajj and read the brief message about his upcoming mission. Equipment Needed: Winter Gear - his lekku twitched in anticipation; this would be only the third time he had been in a cold environment in his lifetime and was gradually getting used to it.

Switching off the datapad, his curiosity was immediately piqued and the Twi'lek Sentinel began to muse over what kind of mission he would be undertaking with Master Semajj and his Padawan, Vanora Cinali.

@ConservativeJedi321

10. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Hanger Bay One

The Ongree Jedi Master had ordered an old Paladin-class corvette be prepared for the journey ahead of them. He still wore his brown and beige Jedi Robes, but had a blue coat stored onboard the ship. It had been some time since he had left Saridona, his role on the Jedi council often kept him busy. Though this mission was too important to be ignored. He was happy to donate his time on this assignment. After all, it wasn't the first time he had been sent to this world.

Semajj heard footsteps come from behind him, and turned to see Vanora and Kassokay entering the hanger. He had summoned his Padawan earlier that day, though as she was his apprentice it would be common to receive orders on shorter notice than he had given the Knight. "A good, you are both right on time!" He smiled joyfully. "This is a very important task, more of a learning experience for you two than I, I should think." A humorous sparkle in his eye again.

The journey for knowledge never ended, it was a lifelong battle. Most apprentices figured that upon their Knighting they would be freed from that commitment. But any true Knight would contradict them in that regard. Even he, a Jedi Master, could still be surprised on occasion when he encountered something he did not know.
    Still, it was not for his purpose this mission was designed.

"Please get on board. We'll be taking off in a few minutes." At that moment he saw a protocol droid caring the pair of boxes he asked to be transferred to the ship.
    "Oh do be careful!" He ran over to the grey plated machine. "Those hold some very important, and very delicate supplies needed where we're going."
    He was aware he was being somewhat coy with the two young Jedi. But he couldn't help but smile at what he knew lay before them.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @Kyber Acyk

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    IC: Vanora in Hangar Bay

Vanora and Knight Acyk approached Master Nosrep.

He smiled in greeting and said with relish:
    "This is a very important task, more of a learning experience for you two than I, I should think."
    A humorous sparkle in his eye made Vanora stifle a laugh.
    "Please get on board. We'll be taking off in a few minutes."

Vanora made her way to the boarding ramp but paused as she heard Master Nosrep say urgently:
    "Oh do be careful! Those hold some very important, and very delicate supplies needed where we're going."

Vanora glanced over at Knight Acyk.
    Where are we going, she wondered, curiosity increasing.

@Kyber Acyk & @ConservativeJedi321

12. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    IC: Jedi Sentinel Kassokay Acyk

Kassokay strode up the ramp and into the ship, a kit-bag slung over his shoulder containing everything he would need on this mission; he was still trying to work out what their mission actually was. Even in the NCPD, his quest for knowledge was never ending and he had been given the nickname of "Booker", since he would often stay in the 66th Precinct until the small hours of the morning, reading and studying.

Sitting down in a seat in the cockpit, his cold-weather gear and heated boots circulated warmth all around his body. His mind then turned back to what Master Semajj had said; "More of a learning experience for you two than I," - it was always good to learn something new.

@ConservativeJedi321 & @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

13. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Onboard The Gatherer

Final preparations were easy enough, he swiftly went down the checklist to ensuring everything they needed was on board. Rations, blankets, emergency supplies, spare parts, his personal Astromech R4-B4 (waiting in the engine room to be called upon), and finally his 'special cargo'.
    All looked good. After the protocol droid disembarked Master Nosrep sat down in the pilots chair and set course for sector 7G.

The ship handled smoothly for her age, and swiftly picked up speed when it was out of the hanger. Leaving the orbit of Sardonia behind, and in an instant the stars elongated, and they were in hyperspace.

Semajj didn't immediately stand up. After checking they were on course, he turned his chair around and signaled Kassokay. and Vanora to follow him back into the hold.
    "Please take a seat." he gestured towards a booth, where many young Jedi had sat before them.

Briefly contemplated how best to elaborate on their mission. It would be best to give them a chance to figure it out for themselves. A test of instinct he supposed, there had been hints after all.

"The role of a Jedi is a precarious one, and that role requires they have certain tools at their disposal. Both of you are currently missing a vital tool the arsenal of a Jedi."
    He smiled, placed his hands at his sides, and continued. "You both have your wit, your mastery of the force, and the skills to defend yourself in combat. But I can't help but think there is another item we should add to that list." He looked to the Knight first, Semajj and the Twi'leks former Master Adalia had discussed this before his ceremony, but the event had creeped up on them faster than they expected.

Tag: @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @Kyber Acyk

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    IC: Vanora -- on the Gatherer

Vanora stowed her carryall and took a seat as directed.
    The stars elongated in the patterns of hyperspace as Master Nosrep began:

"The role of a Jedi is a precarious one, and that role requires they have certain tools at their disposal. Both of you are currently missing a vital tool in the arsenal of a Jedi."
    He smiled, placed his hands at his sides, and continued. "You both have your wit, your mastery of the force, and the skills to defend yourself in combat. But I can't help but think there is another item we should add to that list."

Vanora felt a thrill of sudden, dawning realization.

Ilum...

@ConservativeJedi321

[face_dancing]
    ;)

15. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    IC: Kassokay Acyk

"The role of a Jedi is a precarious one, and that role requires they have certain tools at their disposal. Both of you are currently missing a vital tool in the arsenal of a Jedi."

Kassokay's eyes lit up as he read between the lines of Master Semajj's words. If it was where he thought they were heading, he would now be making his second visit there. Hopefully the place had not changed much in just over 21 years.

@ConservativeJedi321

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  16. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Force Points
    @Kev-Mas_Colcha 4 pts

Nicely done. Appreciate how you presented the two vantage points side-by-side.
    You may add your affiliation to the Order and include your rank in your sig line as you see others doing.

Though I asked the initial question, please feel at liberty to award points of your own for Kev's reply to your follow-up question. Knights after all can and are encouraged to ask questions of the initiates during their training.

Rey's Force Training
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha 2 pts
    @Tython Awakening 3 pts

I will leave this task open for anyone else who wishes to complete it over the next few days.

@Bardan_Jusik pts

17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
  18. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    That puts me right on the edge of knighthood. Thank you @Ananta Chetan .

My character Tython is going to make a sojourn to the Forest Moon of Endor to commune with nature and reflect on his last days as a Padawan. Maybe I will do a short narrative write up and post it in-thread.

[​IMG]

Welcome to @Kev-Mas_Colcha ! Great to see a veteran enter GOL.

19. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oooh. I better put together a super challenging final trial then

20. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    @vncredleader

It is all you, Master Knight! I can go on that moon of Endor retreat and then plan on [attempting] your challenge when I return. My character better do some serious force balancing, physical fitness, and meditation with Ewoks in prep for your challenge.

21. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    You do make a good point about how the Jedi serve civilization rather than natural balance, and it's one that I will concede to. However, I think that more caution should be used in regards to when to act. In the case of "saving your wife from dying in childbirth", you need to be very careful because that situation is one that is filled with personal feelings that could cloud your judgment. While I disagree with the Jedi in the prequels forbidding attachments entirely, they were right to be wary of it. However, for example, had the Jedi been less zealous in Episode 3 Anakin would have been able to seek out the help of the Jedi council for guidance with his visions and wouldn't have been so easily susceptible to Palpatine's manipulation.

As Yoda says, "Always in motion, the future is." You never know whether or not the action you take will cause the very thing you seek to prevent in the first place, or make it even worse than it already is. The "how" does play a large role in this, but the "why" is equally important because you might be acting upon an issue that would work itself out better and intervening would only complicate things. Sometimes not acting is the best course of action.

22. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Better practice your Yub Yubs as well

23. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh for sure emotional context can be the biggest enemy and strength of a Jedi, or anyone IRL for that matter. I think no matter what, saving someone from dying during childbirth is a good thing, but if say the doctor is the spouse of the woman, he/she might be to manic or protective to give the best treatment.

To the topic of possibly making things worse, I think Trek has the best example of that done poorly with their prime directive. The idea of barring officers from using their power to affect the lives of helpless beings however they so choose, is a good idea. Starfleet cannot stop every single war they pass by, case in point: the Klingon Civil War. However they also should not just let an entire race die simply for the sake of "letting nature decide" or for some "cosmic plan". Intervening could yes complicate things for sure, but by that same open logic, intervening could make things ten times better. It's the old child Hitler argument; is it really enlightened to let someone die cause they might do more harm? Heck even if they are going to do harm in the future like in the case of the Daleks in Genesis of the Daleks, as the Doctors says, "Have I that right?"

This is why you are so on point about emotions needing to be in check, morality is not case by case, but one needs to have a clear head for each situation and approach it with an open mind. Blanket "this is my wife I have to do everything to save her no matter what without consulting her" and "we don't know the consequences so we must do nothing" statements are so flawed cause they are the easy way out, they give a simple all or nothing answer to how to handle ethics. A Jedi and a Starfleet officer have to be able to do what they feel is best for this situation here and now, and take responsibility for whatever comes next. Like Kirk being willing to break the PD in "For the earth is hollow and I have touched the sky" and being up to own his decision like any captain should.

24. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    @vncredleader, please remember to use the edit feature, you know better than to double post like that.

25. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.