main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub **Guardians of Light: The EUC Jedi ~ ~ Close Your Eyes... Feel It... the Light. ~ ~**

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Bardan_Jusik, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    See what I did there? :D

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Yes....... I think we all saw what you did there :p

3. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Martial Arts doesn't just sharpen the body or help hone close quarters combat skills, but it also helps strengthen the mind. The one real world martial art that I feel represents the Jedi Code the best is Aikido. Aikido was created to defend practitioners while also protecting attackers from injury. It is a purely defensive martial art, and a great deal of the training is mental training, rather than physical. It revolves around the idea that it helps the practitioner "redirect energy". This refers to both the physical energy an attacker has directed towards them, as well as something more mental and far more significant. That being, that there is a goal of helping the attacker find peace in the end. Helping them turn themselves around and make a better life for themselves, where they no longer feel the need to act in the way they did.

When put into possible applications for a Jedi, there is one very obvious one: diplomacy. A Jedi Diplomat who knows such techniques could be sent into diplomatic situations that would have otherwise been thought of as impossible to settle without aggressive confrontation. Then when combined with Force techniques, the effectiveness would increase significantly. For example, the Jedi could even practice the techniques of Aikido (or a Star Wars universe equivalent, perhaps a variant of Echani Martial Arts) with a mere mind trick - indeed, you might be able to consider Obi-Wan Kenobi's mind trick on Elan Sleazebaggano in Episode 2 such a technique, although in this situation it was used on a more peaceful target.

More or less, Martial Arts doesn't have to imply combat. It could imply avoiding combat instead.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Bonus Points

Inspired by Master Fisto's recent post in the BMC, share an occasion IRL when you Dressed as a Jedi. Explain the scenario and give as many details to illuminate your tale as possible, i.e. how others reacted, how it effected you, photos, etc. If you've donned the robes multiple times, share one or more that stands out from memory.

[​IMG]

TAG
    Masters*, Knights, padawans, initiates

*Honorary Pts

Pearlsaber and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I actually bought a Jedi costume a few years ago. I wanted it for roleplaying purposes, but my dad said it had to be my Halloween costume. Worked for me, I wore it like three years in a row. :p(Basically the years right after I decided I was too old to go trick or treating so I just did it to get into the spirit of the holiday.
    I grew out of the tunic pretty quick, but wore the brown cloak quite a bit up until just a couple years ago. Mostly when I sparred with my friends in lightsaber duels.

6. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I've never had a SW costume for various reasons... keep meaning to sew one but stuff comes up. I'd love to do something with Ahsoka's outfit in Rebels but I don't want to have to do all the makeup/head stuff. Dressing as Liuna would be fun too :)

7. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I wore a Jedi costume to elementary school the year TPM came out. I remember dressing like Obi Wan and even had the clip-in Paddy braid. The main things I remember are stumbling over my Jedi robe multiple times throughout the day and feeling like the braid’s clip was pulling my hair out (plus feeling like it looked feminine). So I ditched the braid and tied my Jedi robe around my waist for the rest of the day. :p

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Have Jedi, Sith, Pilot and a couple Leia costumes. My friends son borrowed my Jedi Robes to wear for 'Book Week' at school, and tripped down the library stairs on his robe. Broke his arm and his mum banned him from ever being a Jedi again. LOL :p

I wore my X Wing costume to a Con once and was walking in with my helmet under my arm, young guy checking wrist bands at the door asked "Where's your ship?" I smirked thinking fast. "In the car park bit big to bring in." To my surprise he leans closer and says 'Wanna take me for a ride?" Holy Crap on a Cracker!! He must have been what? 25 and I was 49!!! Best Ego boost I've had in years and to this day the costume makes me feel good!
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I'm old, but hey, I one of the ORIGINAL fans!!

9. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    I've never had a Star Wars costume but I have always wanted to make/buy one. I'm probably gonna start with Emperor's Shadow Guard and TIE Pilot costumes to begin with but further down the line I'll probably make Jedi robes. I'll do them in my own way though and add in some armor pieces however.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I Velcro'ed some SW patches onto my flight jacket...

[​IMG]

11. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Come to think of it, I did sorta put together a rough costume using stuff I had a while back, but it wasn't very good.

Also a bit too Dark Side to fit here, as it was an attempt at portraying Kev-Mas Colcha I shortly after he first became an Emperor's Hand in 6 BBY.

[​IMG]

12. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Interesting. Not the take on it I had expected. 4Pts! @Bardan_Jusik .

More for you I will have later. For now this Master must go rest his eyes. ;)

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    You can do the headpieces without make up, but alas the facial stuff is make up. Did this for a friends daughter last year.[​IMG]But had to the make up and paint her arms. The leggings we inserted wire to hold the diamond shape and put stockings under them. The tear in the centre top of the dress is fabric too.

Mitth_Fisto and Ananta Chetan like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Took me a while to find the pic, but anyway, a few years ago I tried mixing and matching some things in my closet to make a vaguely jedi looking costume. Jedi from the dawn of the Republic, maybe? I wasn't impressed with the way it looked and didn't try to get any better pics than this:

[​IMG]

15. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    I have had ideas for a few Star Wars costumes related to Kyber a few years ago - New Coruscant Police Department uniform, Fairminister Sheriff's Department uniform and Concordia Police Department Reserve Corps uniform - but I haven't had the time to make them lately...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  16. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    I've never dressed as a Jedi, except in my imagination.

17. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017

I just found an image of a Yoda costume I had when I was super-young.

It still fits of course.

[​IMG]

18. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    It's really too bad that doesn't come in adult sizes. :p

19. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Depends on the size of the adult. One of my wife's friends is...height challenged, so I call her the ankle biter. Now you know why she is my wife's friend and not mine. :p

20. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    *scolds* That's not the Jedi way!

:p

21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I'm Vertically challenged...........and trust me, do not judge me by that.......it will be your downfall......

Having said that, Bardan ain't no Jedi...... ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  22. Ananta Chetan

Aug 11, 2013
    Binary Bonus

Share your perspective on one of the most iconic moments in SW of how this scene affected or reflected a moment in your own life. A sunset you watched, a moment you fantasized escaping your daily duties, a deeper longing for adventure or making a change in your life, etc.

TAG Masters*, Knights, padawans, initiates

*Honorary Pts

Note: Points will be given for both this and the previous task simultaneously once this round is complete. ;)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ah, this iconic scene... to me it represents moments of contemplation & wondering about the future and what it will hold. And then later, things you regretted and wished you could do over and/or situations you could recover. I.E., a nostalgic wistfulness [face_thinking]

Another iconic scene I adore is the rooftop scene in "The Last Command". It involves Luke and Mara-- on the brink of something like friendship, although I even then wanted it to be more [face_laugh] ... I loved her redefining herself and him accepting her as she was, no judging, just offering a tangible gesture of friendship and respect, as he gave her his father's lightsaber, a truly meaningful gift on so many levels. [face_love]

@Ananta Chetan

[face_batting]

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh man, I think the Binary sunset is special to all of us. Frankly it is why as a kid ANH was easily my favorite, and why I loved ROTS tie to it. TLJ throwing it in hit me in a place, it was not till right as he faded away that I realized what Rian had done.

I think TLJ really re-contextualized the meaning of the sunset for me. It is not just the idea of hope on the horizon, but of innocence and hope lying in us no matter how dark things seem. We see the sunset on the horizon in ROTS as Owen and Beru look off at the hope of the future, while the old guard (Obi Wan) literally steps away and rides off. Luke looks to it in ANH as he longs for some purpose and a chance to get away from the dull life of his home. And finally in TLJ he sees it again and tears up as he finally is once again that optimistic, kind farmboy who just wanted to do the right thing. He got to run away and become the hero, and it led to all this pain, and hardship, and adventure, but in the end he is reminded of the importance of that innocent nature of heroism as one sun sets, and another rises. Once more the old guard steps down, and Rey (pun intended) is the new sun for the galaxy.

TLJ recaptured so much of the core of SW, now RO hit me in a place of nostalgia and why I got into the EU and really more so into the fandom; however TLJ revitalized the values of the franchise more than anything. Now the sunset is not as much about looking out and away, but rather thinking about all the hope we start out with, and our ability to hold onto that, even if we feel we have lost our way. The scene honestly reminds me now of that feeling coming out of TLJ and the sense of......not so much hype or gittyness, but rather this sense of acceptance and assurance. Like I too just went through having everything I stand for challenged only to have it reaffirmed, it is not a jump up and down moment, but a moment of quiet reflection and peace.

Also since I found this track the other day since I skipped this ep and it is connected, I wanna share it

25. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    One of the most impressionable EU scenes to me was in Heir to the Empire when Luke is communicating with Ben Kenobi in his suite in the Imperial Palace.

Ben says to Luke, "I've come to say goodbye, Luke. The distances separating us have become too great for me to appear to you in any other way. Now, even this last path is being closed to me." Luke responds, "You can't leave us, Ben. We need you." Ben later says, "It is the path of all life to move on."

This was the beginning of a new chapter for Luke when he had to let go of the connection he had with his former master. For all of us, there are times when we have to say goodbye to someone in order to be open to new chapters in our lives. Sometimes that letting go involves mourning, but also involves growing and evolving.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha I literally just reread The Last Command and finished it yesterday. I enjoy this scene at the end as well.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.