main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Guardians of the Whills: MG novel by Greg Rucka

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 26, 2017.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm just thinking that it was only like a couple years ago that I would've had to edit that image.

Thank goodness we've moved on from the dark times.

Edit: wait what's happening now?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Is Sheev cuddling Magneto?

vncredleader likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Probably from the movie Shame, where Magneto's a nymphomaniac.

As for the book, I always like Rucka's stuff, so definitely looking froward to this.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

Jedi Princess and La Calavera like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Our Emperor is just so adorable and sweet.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Charles is gonna be pissed. (am I allowed to say that word here?) GrandAdmiralJello

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Sinjir Rath Velus would love this thread!

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I dunno. He might be fairly creeped out by his Lord and Emperor being so... Tactile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Disallowed words list.

JediFett10 and vncredleader like this.
  11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

All I can think of, reading this, is the South Park movie song about the words you can't say.

"You shouldn't say ****, no you shouldn't say ****, **** no!"

vncredleader and SWpants like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you're UK-based and want a hardback version, going by the US ISBN number, your options are:
    Both take your money at the point of pre-order. Wordery are doing a buy one and get 15% off second book for January 2017 only.

Or you go with Amazon UK:
    EDIT: Should have included this - the way it worked last time on the JtTFA books, the US copies could be bought online up until a few weeks before publication, then for the UK, it was paperback only.

Nor did I hear about anyone ever seeing the hardbacks in a UK bookshop, they could only be got online.

It'll probably be the same again, as the same UK company is offering paperback version, so would suggest if you want a hardback, get your pre-order in quick!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh I forgot the p**k word was banned. Sorry I used it the other day. I am American and we use it on the level of hell or other allowed swears. Sorry. :oops:

14. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

:Looks out window:

:Sees a world on fire from Syria to the Ukraine:
    :sees a nation like Syria look like it was bombed out Dresden style, a far far cry from what it was:
    :sees violent organizations smash ancient sites that withstood even the most barbarous reigns of the first so called Dark Ages:
    :sees people fleeing their homes in order to pursue a better life on a scale not seen since WWII but which will have an effect on the various central authorities of the current world order like the so called barbarian migrations that preceded the European dark age, resulting in a renewing of civilization but not before tremendous amounts of tumult:
    :looks at home and sees 3 administrations rule like emperors via executive orders as the legislative branch continues to happily castrate itself:

I would very much like to know when you would consider it "dark times". :p;)

Anyhoo. Hope the book is good. I understand there is a bit of desire to see these two in a romantic relationship but frankly, I think that's playing to a bad stereotype. Are we saying that there cannot be close, non sexualized friendships? Are non sexualized relationships a belittled and lost concept now? Are relationships, especially between same sex individuals, now that black and white? Touch no touch, closeness, no closeness? Closeness if sex, no closeness if no sex?

The type of nonsense only possible in certain types of macho Western cultures. Pfeh.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    He's just talking about this board's former anti-slash policy.

16. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I was never aware of such a policy. I thought he was making a joke that pertained to a wider cultural angle. My mistake.

17. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    "I'm one with the force and the force is with me. I'm one with the force and the force is with me. I'm one with the force and the force is with me."

"He's praying for more Rogue One YA books."

"It bothers him because it's possible"

Duguay and Gamiel like this.
  18. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    One thing I would like to see explored is the Guardian's view of the Force. It almost seemed as if it were being treated as a god by praying to it.

Unless prayers is inaccurate and it's more like a chant or meditation designed to influence reality. Is it more akin Buddhist prayers which are designed to awaken an internal realization rather than petition an external deity or power? (though some forms of Buddhism do realize some type of spiritual force at work and I suppose they could be petitioned)

One thing for sure, the Jedi are never depicted as "praying". I thought it was one of the more interesting differences between the Guardians and the Jedi.

Gamiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, it's more prayer than chant because Baze flat out said "You're praying?" Jyn seemed to pray over her necklace before Scarif, too.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The Ultimate Visual Guide has just turned tiniest bit about the Guardians' perspective on the Force. The gist is they don't emphasize light or dark sides, and believe their methods enable a more encompassing understanding of the Force.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Watching their scenes again on the Blu-Ray and Digital versions of R1 makes me excited to see this novel.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One of the things I love about Rogue One is that lots more people now know who Donnie Yen and why he is fecking awesome.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You almost shot me. You're welcome.
    Where are you going? Following Jyn. The path is clear. Alone? Good luck! I don't need luck. I have you!
    Their last stands.
    Praying? Really? He's praying for the door to open. It bothers him because he knows its possible. Baze was once the most devoted member of us all.

Those two had great chemistry. Hope the book gives us more great moments.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I am one with the Force and the Force is with me

But it's not just that, Donnie Yen has racked a martial arts film career of nearly 30 years, the early stuff I've got him is from 1988/89.

He and Jet Li went and tore the screen up in Once Upon A Time in China 2, with a fight scene that has to be in contention for best fight.

Dawud786 and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope we get to see what Baze what like when he was the most devoted guardian of us all