main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Guardian's "Super Feminist" Rey Article...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediBlack, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012

Physical strength is only advantageous in a very small percentage of overall human functioning in today's world; it is basically irrelevant to survival of the species.

But... I have to wonder why it is even brought up in regard to Rey. She is a force user, and a skilled weapon user aside from any force powers.

If a feeble, hobbling 3 foot ancient green geezer can be the most powerful and devastating Jedi in the universe, why couldn't a healthy young human female be? Is it really an issue?

Funny how the whole "can a girl beat up a guy?" argument gets so emotional. I see those a lot on MMA websites that I chat on that talk a lot about women's MMA fighters like Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm. Guys get so riled up and defensive at the idea that even a female fighter could beat up a male. So very revealing when you see guys like that; so insecure and threatened by women. It's like why are you trying so hard to make this argument, and just who are you trying to convince?

2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Personally, Rey is not the type hero I enjoy...I prefer the character that works their way up not the Chosen One Prodigy types that start out with an absurd amount of skills. I hated Anakin and I dont like Rey for the same reasons to Perfect at everything in my book.

I think people can relate to characters who dont look like them certainly but here is the problem in America the white male is basically default with white women to a lesser extent therefore you are forced to relate to them and this has a powerful formative impact on children....In America, if your a straight white dude you got a choice if you want to relate to non striaght white dudes every other group has much more restricted options and even if they wanted to cant dodge the media and entertainment imagery whereas it aint particularly hard to not have if you are a straight white dude in the US of A.

NooThe likes this.
  3. CCK1979

CCK1979 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I personally think that Finn is a good role model for me even though I am white. I hope I will never have to face any challenges he faces but should I have to face them I can only hope that I will have as much courage as he has.

But it is somewhat superficial to see another person as similar just because of the same skin color or gender. I do this myself in some areas but I still think it's not really a good thing.

I agree. I hope that one day we see us as humans first.

I think it's much easier to portray a good physical fight than a good intellectual one. On top of that, physical fights can very entertaining. But most movies are not realistic (and don't even try to be) anyway, so in a movie a woman should be able to do anything that a man can do.

4. CCK1979

Dec 24, 2015
    I'm not sure who you are talking to because you basically said the same as me...

It wasn't brought up in regard to Rey.

Again, I don't know who you are talking to. I said the only area where males are on average more capable than females is physical strength. I never said anything about female fighters or there capabilties.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012

6. CCK1979

Dec 24, 2015
    You quoted me, so I thought you might be talking to me...

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    That's easy to say as the member of an ethnic group that has dominated popular film and entertainment for so long.

But if you're black in America, you can count the number of black leads in mainstream films on two hands. Basically, Will and Denzel. So it is perfectly rational for a black person in America to be excited about having another black lead in a hugely popular film franchise.

Truth is, we (and films) don't live in a vacuum. White males have dominated the entetainment sphere for a long time, and this has placed black actors at a significant disadvantage. To deem it unfortunate that black people are happy to see a black lead in Star Wars ignores the real social environment in which these films are made.

Star Wars is fantasy. But the people and studios that produce it, and the audiences who watch it, live in reality. And in reality, institutionalized racism against blacks, in America and elsewhere, is real.

NooThe likes this.
  8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I was commenting on the issues you were discussing; you were taking it the wrong way in trying to defend yourself.

9. CCK1979

Dec 24, 2015
    I know. But there's really not much I can do about that. I've never been marginalized on a group level, other than being a nerd maybe, back then when it was pretty unpopular.

I agree. It's absolutely rational and I can fully understand you. And I don't think you shouldn't be.

I just deem it unfortunate that we still think so much in tribes. It's probably not fair to you and I apologize.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  10. JediBlack

JediBlack Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    I may be in a minority but I'd add Wesley Snipes to the list, at least for his Blade movies...which I found more entertaining than all of Marvel's new franchise movies, with the exception of the Avengers.

NooThe and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Honestly, it's so nice to see a gracious response from someone on the interwebs. You have shown your quality, CCK1979. And it's of the highest kind.

12. mfastx

mfastx Jedi Knight star 1

May 2, 2015
    I can buy this, and I really do hope that it is revealed that she was trained previously, it'd make her powers a lot more believable. I understand what Ren was badly injured which is why both Finn and Rey could keep up with him, didn't have too much of an issue with that.

13. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Rey is cool and all, but I found her to be a bit too perfect. She's like a walking dues ex machina. Kylo was far more interesting to me precisely because of his flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Laurie Penny has proven to be unsufferable. And a closed shop as far as debate is concerned..