main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Guess Luke Skywalker's Fate

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Devizz, Oct 27, 2015.

?

What do you think happened to Luke post RotJ?

1. He turned to the dark side and is preparing for something in seclusion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. He turned to the dark side and was forced into exile

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. He is still following the light and chose to live in seclusion

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  4. He is still following the light and is preparing for something in seclusion

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I went with He turned to the dark side and was forced into exile..
    But i'm pretty sure there's NO WAY that's happening..

Y isn't "He fell into acid, became the joker and when into exile " on there? :)

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014

[face_devil]

B99 likes this.
  3. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Years ago Mark said that was always the plan according to George. Luke would basically take on a role that paralled Obi-Wan's. All the stuff about him getting married and having children was cooked up by EU authors. Who knows what Kasdan, JJ, and Arndt decided.

4. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    In the OT I don't see how you can make any presumption on what they were like.

In the PT actually -- they seemed to all be congregating on the largest city-planet in the GFFA and that Temple sure looked pretty opulent to me. Where were the younglings and padawans supposed to go to actually commune with nature and the Force?

I'd have preferred it actually looking like a 10,000 year old Temple on any planet besides Coruscant -- and just a small Mission on Coruscant for short stints or needed to attend a Senate hearing.

Jedi Merkurian and DARTH_BELO like this.
  5. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    They probably started off that way but became intertwined with the Republic when the Sith were overthrown, becoming their "guardians of peace." I imagine this was a mutually beneficial relationship, they must have had to use the Republic's resources to build their temple, travel the galaxy and simply get by in day to day living. They were symbionts with the Republic. The corruption of the Republic necessarily affected the Jedi.

Then in ten short years they went from "I can't fight a war for you" for an internal dispute to literally fighting a civil war. Mace Windu's indignation over Palpatine "interfering in Jedi affairs" strikes me not as them being independent but by being an autonomous branch of power in the Republic. (Senate, Courts, Chancellor, Jedi). Clearly the problem is they shouldn't have been a branch of power in the first place.

Being massacred obviously helped change that but what was more important was Luke's attitude. Obi-Wan was gunning for Luke to be a killer even though he'd become joined with the Force in death. You'd think a Force-ghost would be more attuned to it's nature. Luke loved where it didn't make sense to the Jedi to love, he didn't need to follow the Jedi code because he embodied the spirit of it.

I'm hoping we learn that whatever Luke did after the Battle of Endor, he stayed out of politics.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    Obi wants Luke to be a "killer" just like Darth Vader "killed" Anakin Skywalker -- at least that's how I think Obi-Wan means for it to happen. And it works.

It fits much more with his characterization in TCW and elsewhere -- he's just not so cold-blooded. Just cold-calculating

7. Sir2lazyThe2nd

Sir2lazyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2015
    What I think happened was Luke Skywalker watched Batman and Robin over and over again making him turn to the dark side and go insane.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Sometimes, all it takes is one bad day....

Sir2lazyThe2nd likes this.
  9. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Luke makes it through to the end of Episode IX.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I sure hope you're right!

11. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    My speculation, is that Luke's character will be similar to Yoda and Obi-wan in the OT (teacher mentor and represent the old wizard who will have to "die" and then come back to help the hero in their journey)

He will either speak or show himself in the EPVIII and EPIX but maybe not in the flesh... (i.e. Force ghost).

12. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Obi wan was in a hut because he was hiding from the purge and watching Luke.
    Yoda was on Dagobah because he was hiding from the purge and watching Luke and Leia from a distance.

Luke isn't hiding. There's nothing to hide from at this point.
    I think he's been chilling with Ewoks trying to get back the golden arm they stole from C3PO.

13. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    If there was an appropriate time for Luke to join the darkside, it has passed. That window has been closed thankfully.

I trust that Disney/Lucasfilm/Abrams won't botch that one.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  14. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Some say this is explained in the novels and comics that were released that cover the interim after ROTJ.

I haven't read them so I can't comment as to why he may be in exile or hiding. But not because he went to the dark side.

15. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014

Is it? From what I've heard there is not much information about what happened to Luke after RotJ the only exception being the last issue of Shattered Empire (which did not really reveal anything, maybe that he is planning to rebuild the jedi order but that is just speculation).

16. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Well.

The closer we are to TFA opening the more I'm thinking the key part of the story is Luke. Mark has been kept under cover and hidden away from all the events, trailers, tv spots, etc.

In a way the "twist" of the plot and the wild-card will be what has become of Luke and what happened to him in the 30 odd years since ROTJ. This could be the greatest reveal of the movie.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  17. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    I now have a funny feeling the KR will be Luke's failed apprentice. And perhaps his rise to power brings him into conflict with Luke who has to come out of hiding.
    I still believe the rest of my theory holds water - just another wrinkle.

18. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    I agree -- except I'd go as far to say that Luke might not be revealed for a long time -- and have his real screen time come in EpVIII and EpIX

19. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    My theory is that he tried and failed to resurrect the Jedi Order. He's gone into seclusion to find out what he did wrong and correct it. (Which has me hoping against hope that we get to see Leia with a lightsaber - we haven't exactly seen a ton of her either!) I don't think Kylo Ren was one of his students (judging by his lightsaber), but I do think that they knew each other. My guess is that Luke's failure to resurrect the Jedi affected warfare (the stormtroopers are MUCH more intimidating,) and that lead people to think the Jedi never really had the sway that the stories say they did (hence "They're real.") All of this reaches boiling point with Finn's death (my speculation only - I have read no spoilers to this regard) which makes Luke realize he doesn't have time to keep up his hermit act, he has to get back to Jedi business. I'm hoping that culminates in just an epic smackdown of Kylo Ren by Luke.

20. Dave Hoffman

Dave Hoffman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2012
    I will speculate that not only did Luke fall to the dark side, but he is the villain in the mask/helmet. In a couple scenes from the trailers, the black-robed villain is about to fight one of the good guys. I also see hair on his head, adult Anakin style. In every other glimpse of the villain, he's wearing a helmet. Why would he take the helmet off in a combat situation, when he seems to wear it all the time, such as when standing on the bridge of a ship? Therefore, I speculate that it's not the same character. There are 2 force-wielding villains, Master Luke and his apprentice, and both have the cross guard lightsabers.

Pure speculation of course

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Could be, though I doubt it very much!
    And if they went that direction, it'd be absolutely awful!

22. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    I don't know, but if Luke Skywalker is a bad guy then I will never watch another Star Wars thing again.

23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I will, since I enjoy Rebels, and have a good feeling about Rogue One, but I'll gladly keep re-reading my Legacy comic books to see the future of the Skywalker legacy, instead of following the ST.

Then again, it all depends on how they do it.

24. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    That would be a true jumping of the shark moment that would be irredeemable for any future SW films.

I remember watching the first prequel, and it was bad. Really bad. But there was some mental negotiating going on as a long-time Star Wars fan, that maybe it wasn't as bad as we thought, maybe it was just worse than the originals. It could be the Black Sheep of the family, and there were still two more prequels to right the ship. Then I saw Attack of the Clones, and it was another bad movie, but didn't have me in an outrage or anything. Until that one moment. When Yoda picked up a lightsaber and started spinning through the air like a monkey. That was the moment that I knew the prequels were garbage and would always be garbage. Another true jumping of the shark moment.

Writing Luke as a bad guy would be just like having the wise, dignified, quietly powerful Yoda spinning around like a bat out of hell to amuse 3 year olds. It would mean the people involved in making these movies are not in touch with the spirit of the original story.

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Fair enough, if that's how you feel. I'd just avoid the post-ROTJ stuff, since it would have no effect on R1, and possibly other Anthology movies. And again, of course, depending on how it's done - it potentially could be done well I suppose (can't for the life of me think of how though).
    As for the rest of your post - if TFA is as good as TPM, I'll be very happy! :)

Darkslayer likes this.