main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guess What Happened To Us Today!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by darthdastoli, Jul 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Dude, that SUCKS. When I saw it was u posting, I thought IMMEDIATELY "He got in trouble with the cops for having guns in CrossFire." I was pretty close, wasnt I??

I cannot BELIEVE they took ur camera. I bet they only took it because they are gonna use it and send their footage into COPS hoping to be a big shot. :)

~Neszis~

2. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i was watching TSS they had a guy on it who had something similar happen, except they were held at gun point. But he said if you just call the police ahead of time and let them know you are going to film, you shouldn't run to any trouble. I think you will get your camera back, i mean why would they keep your camera for ever? it would prove that you were in fact shooting a film, but you never know, the judges kid my really want a GL-1. If you were in cali i could help you out(my dad knows many, many judges)

3. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    "...we have nothing but a ZR-10 and a flimsy tri-pod."

Welcome to my life.

Really sorry to hear about your gear. 9/11 or not, you just always should at least inform to police if you are planning this sort of work. (I guess you know that now, though.)

Hopefully everything will work out in the end. Even though there is a chance this will just get dimissed, you should get a laywer, or at the very least, read up on the charges and laws related to them. Don't assume you're going to get let off the hook just because you were making a film. Your gear is probably being held to show that you were working with professional grade equipment, therefore professional grade law should apply.

Good luck.

Try to have fun.

4. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    I suppose we are in a fairly big city. The online form for a film permit is here. The problem is, for any single 3 and a half shot shoot I would have to make a big deal and pay millions of dollars or do what the hell ever I have to do.

5. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    That's a drag :( , kind of funny to an outsider, but obviously not for you. It'll make a great story later on though.

So to all of the You should have got a permit crowd, be honest, how many of you have actually obtained one of these permits on every occasion you filmed outside? Having said that, when you heard the women scream, and the police sirens, it was probably time to pack up the Guerilla film-making unit and move on.

6. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
    then just inform the police so they'll be cool with it

7. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    That blows, but as mentioned... it'll probably be fun to tell later. When I was working on a 35mm production in 10th grade (don't ask... I was Second Assistant Director and I got LUUUUUCKYY... it was cool). Anyway, we were shooting in and outside of Charelston, SC (I live in Columbia)... in this small town right outside of charelston, we of course had permits, but all, I mean all of the cops in that wee little town showed up. "Anything we can do to help?". It was sort of unexpected, but fun as bejesus. Woo!........ Being second AD, I got to direct the cops... even the chief of the town... muahahahaha (talk about balance of power :D)...

Anyway

I hope you don't have to much trouble getting out of the court situation, and good luck finishing your film. :)

Peace

~DK~

8. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    It appears that everything should be fine, and the case wil be easily dismissed, but we still won't have the camera back until July 19, and the dealine isn't getting any later. Perhaps the most disturbing thing is that we will have to pay a lawyer to take on this "case." Also, when everyone finds out, we may lose many actors and actresses as well as locations.

9. No-ShadowKick

No-ShadowKick Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    You know, someone should add this to the tutorial page: "How to/Why get permition to shoot movies on publical places "

10. Macho

Sep 21, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.