main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guess who chose JJ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Kuro, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    This guy:

[​IMG]

Apparently, when his longtime associate Kathleen Kennedy asked him who should direct STAR WARS, he said: “Kathy, there’s only one director that really should undertake this daunting, epic task, and that’s J.J. Abrams.”

I was already (cautiously) optimistic about the film, but somehow, the Spielberg seal of approval makes me even more optimistic.

Dinos4Ever, SlashMan and jaqen like this.
  2. Sir2lazyThe2nd

Sir2lazyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2015
    Well this makes me feel safe and secure.

3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    This fact help me absorb the fact that the guy who directed Super 8 and Cloverfield was in fact put in charge of the next vision of Star Wars.
    I do not feel safe and secure but I do feel a fair explanation has been released.
    I would wonder what was the time frame of this recommendation versus what was the time frame of the inception of Super 8. That is a fair question.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Cloverfield was written by Drew Goddard and directed by Matt Reeves. JJ Abrams came up with the general idea and produced it, nothing more.
    Super 8 was released in the summer of 2011, while Abrams wasn't hired to direct SW7 until late 2012/early 2013, so Spielberg probably recommended Abrams about 12-18 months after the release of Super 8.

EDIT: wasn't JJ Abrams Lucas' pick as well? I seem to remember reading that way back when.

Dewback likes this.
  5. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Thank you for that fact. Thank you for the timing of the Spielberg endorsement.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  6. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Yes, he was. I don't recall where I read it as well. I think I might have read it a year or so ago when I first heard about the title and saw the initial teaser.

Dewback likes this.
  7. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I liked Super 8?

Also, I'm less concerned with whether it will be good or not and more concerned with what it will do with the canon. His 2009 Star Trek rips off several different parts of the old universe, especially a Voyager episode called The Year of Hell. And anyone who's seen Into Darkness knows that it would be a much better film if he hadn't gone as far as he did...

I'm curious to see where some of this goes even though I already do know some parts of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, Abrams was never a Star Trek fan, but a huge Star Wars fan. That should count for something.
    And he didn't write his Star Trek movies, and neither did Michael Arndt or Lawrence Kasdan. So I don't think that's really a fair comparison either.

And I liked Super 8 too! It's a good, very well directed, movie.

Dagobahsystem and smoothkaz like this.
  9. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I have to confess, I gave up on STAR TREK: VOYAGER after about one season, and so I never saw “Year of Hell”. Not even a sexy Borg could bring me back to VOYAGER.

In fact, let me give a bit of credit to George Lucas’s handling of the prequel films here. After the fans revolted against Jar Jar Binks, Lucas actually listened to them and dialed down his role, to the point where his role is reduced to that of a non-speaking walk-on in REVENGE OF THE SITH. When Trekkies revolted against Neelix, the Devil Himself, Rick Berman, insisted on continuing to shove that ****head down our throats.

10. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I would have an entirely different regard for JJ Abrams if he had simply made a bad Star Trek movie in the canon universe using new characters that may have been rehashes that nobody necessarily bought at first. Supposedly he's competent enough that he can consult with someone to devise well-balanced, well-informed new characters for Star Wars on some kind of accelerated schedule. Maybe that's because one franchise mattered to his CV and one didn't.

WriterMan likes this.
  11. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I saw an interview with George's son Jett Lucas a while back, where he says Abrams was handpicked, and has been a family friend for several years, having been invited to George's wedding. He also said they were "talking constantly" and mentioned guidelines that George had set out.

Alienware, Dandelo and Dewback like this.
  12. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

The basic plot of the episode is: bald dude is upset that his planet went bye bye so he ravages other worlds so he can bring them back. He uses this laser weapon that shoots into the planet's mass and eradicates them from existence and creates alternate timelines. Also in the process Voyager gets torn to hell and they
    hit the reset button better than Best of Both Worlds

The movie plot is: bald dude is upset that his planet went bye bye so he creates an alternate timeline and makes Vulcan implode using this laser thing that shoots into the planet.

Also, here are the ships:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Probably not a rip off but they remind me of each other a lot. This is also probably in top five episodes in the series so J.J. could do worse.

Also, I like Neelix :rolleyes: maybe I don't take Trek nearly as seriously as I do Star Wars so I'm not worried about it being as good.

Overall, I am a J.J. fan so I look forward to this film.
    I may have came off critical, I sometimes do, but I'm not a J.J. hater. I just have a problem with about 10 minutes of Into Darkness. ;)

13. Fox609

Fox609 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 5, 1999
    I'm confident he's not going to screw it up. The new Star Treks felt more like Star Wars to me, so he's who I would have picked. Him or James Gunn. I mean, there's no way that tfa will be as bad as the prequels.

14. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Did Spielberg really have the authority to choose JJ or was it more of a recommendation? Spielberg is not an executive at Disney or Lucasfilm after all.

15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Definitely just a recommendation, but I bet his recommendation is taken into serious consideration.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  16. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Lucas chose JJ based on advice from Spielberg and Kennedy. They chose Trevarrow based on a recommendation by Brad Bird.

17. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    interesting interview with Jett Lucas there.

Seems quite the articulate and smart young man :)

18. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Nothing can ever be as bad as some people make the prequels out to be.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm positive TFA will be good, if not great. I'll know on the 18th! So excited.
    The prequels are beautiful films. No need to put them down if you don't like them. Just my opinion, of course.
    I'm glad that Spielberg (and perhaps GL, as well )recommended JJ Abrams. That's the highest recommendation a film maker could recieve. Especially in the sci fi blockbuster genre.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  20. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought this was explained when J.J. Abrams was chosen.