main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Guide to likely annoyances in the lead up to the release, and afterwards...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    There's a fairly large number of members who didn't follow the releases and production of the prequels as closely as they have done for TFA, so I thought it might be interesting for those of us who did to give a heads up of things that will happen in the next few weeks that will be annoying, irritating, or that will just ruin a little bit of the magic. Contributions welcome, these are off the top of my head

* a review will describe a character whose motivation, development and actions we have discussed at length, found interesting, and who will become a big part of Star Wars history, appearing in many stories and tv series in the future, thusly: "*actor* is given little to do as *character*"

* chat show hosts will deliberately get things wrong, being wilfully ignorant about things that sound obvious to seem less interested. Some might be genuine, some will just think it's funny to ask silly questions; "is Obi Wan in this one?", for example

* there will be countless references to it being a toy commercial, and the amount of toys will be criticised. The fact that some of us made an actual free choice to buy toys won't be acknowledged.

*parodies. There will be terrible parodies.

* memes. Oh yes; moments that we currently are looking forward to as being exciting,mdramatic moments in a film series we love, will eventually end up as lossy jpegs with that annoying white font, comparing the emotion the character feels to, I don't know - burning bacon or something.

* loss of mystery. Think how excited you are for TFA. Eventually it'll be a DVD or bluray on your shelf, and even when you're bored you won't want to watch it.

* diminishing returns with publicity. TFA may well be the launch to a trilogy that gets better and better, but the release of a later, more dramatic film will feel a bit like the world is losing interest again.

Any more

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Buzzfeed articles like this, with nitpicks that don't even count as nitpicks because of how flagrantly wrong, uninformed, and just plain stupid they are.
    "10 Things Wrong With The Force Awakens"

1. Why didn't Anakin's Force ghost help the heroes?
    2. The lightsaber Finn uses was lost in The Empire Strikes Back.
    3. The TIE Fighters are the wrong color.
    4. The radar dish on the Millennium Falcon is inconsistent with the one seen in Episodes I-III.

And so on, and so forth.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Coming out of the movie with a buzz of excitement, then reading this place and getting told everything they did that was wrong and an insult to George Lucas'.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes, I'm expecting that one. Unless, of course, I actually think that myself.

LunarMoth likes this.
  5. TheKnightsOfRenandStimpy

TheKnightsOfRenandStimpy Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    Everyone you know begins acting like the biggest Star Wars fans ever after seeing TFA and saying things like, "I KNEW that was gonna happen!"

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    People talking in Yoda-speak, as if they're being clever or original

7. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Rad The Force Awakens is!!

8. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Screen Junkies doing an Honest Trailer on TFA, saying how similar it is to ANH.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    RLM doing a three hour (negative) review of TFA that millennials will worship and link to every time someone says something positive about it.

10. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    the talk show example is the worst. Okay, so you got a 5 minute briefing about the movie now you're going to talk about it like it's the best thing ever.

11. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    The guys over at RLM are actually really excited for the TFA and "Mr.Plinkett" already did a couple videos on the trailers and had good things to say. Those guys are pretty big fans.

Everything they do is borderline genius. The PT reviews are IMO hilarious and also IMO right on the money.

12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Cracked.com ratcheting up their "Everything about SW has sucked since ROTJ, GL never had an original creative bone in his body, and everything from the EU sucks" rhetoric to 11 when the movie comes out.

It's going to be unbearable, I just know it.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  13. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    This one won't affect me as much...because I'm likely going to unplug from Looking for new spoilers/info very soon....

But...if I was....it'd be people/News(Like Good morning America) hyping up in advance they have some sort of exclusive news/info only for it to turn out to be something we have already known for ages.....or worse someone blatantly trolling or looking for clicks.

14. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    You know how this place gets a bunch of new users after each trailer drops? You know how most are cool but there are always some total jerks?

You ain't seen nothing yet. Stay calm, enjoy discussion, and don't feed the trolls. :)

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I, for one, hope not to be hit over the head with an RLM review, be it awful, meh, or raving. Of course, it's fair game to bring RLM up in any discussions of reviews, but to cite RLM as "the" authority on the movie's greatness or lack of gets terribly boring. I hope to make up my own mind, then out of curiosity read fan reviews, critic reviews, etc. and still make up my own mind. If I agree with RLM, strike me surprised (in the sense that I hate RLM reviews just in general).

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'd be very pleased if SW was the latest hip fad, even if it means a bunch of poseurs jump on board. I mean, Meco's SW disco track wasn't exactly a tasteful and respectfully authentic take on the saga, either.

17. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    People are going to wonder where Lando is, and then claim some sort of a racism due to his exclusion, even though the plan from the start was to save him for VIII and possibly IX.

Revanfan1 and jjgriffin like this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    You don't need to wait. They're already doing it.

JunoSynth, Sarge, Howard Hand and 3 others like this.
  19. 1ninjitsubob

1ninjitsubob Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 6, 2015
    MODified: Yeah... we are about reaching the end of your race baiting on this forum.

20. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    -Any leaks between now and release.
    -Anything on posted on the IMDB boards for up to a year after the release
    -(this one is rare and is something that bothers me specifically, but even so...) Critics (usually ardent fans of dreadful scores like 2011's Hanna and the work of Trent Reznor) criticizing the score for being "manipulative" or "bombastic".
    -any poorly worded rant about the """PC casting"""
    -strange people who'll want me to leave the theater during the end credits. ;)

I love RLM, but that part about the fans linking to the reviews every time something positive is said about it is aggravating. I do think they (Plinkett) will like it though.

Hanyou likes this.
  21. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    To start, i made a point of not reading any post above mine. I intended that, because my biggest pet peeve is a section of the fans. Most fans aren't doing this, so if you aren't the one, then this doesn't apply to you.

Peeve #1: Hand wringing. Passive aggressive hostility to another STAR WARS movie!

George Lucas retired. He earned it. He did a lot more than just Star Wars, you know. He's probably the best producer behind-the-scenes-guy Hollywood has ever seen. He saw how much we loved Star Wars and decided to let us keep on loving it, to he sold it to someone who would care for it the way they care for princesses. He could have let it die, he didn't. You don't have to support the new movies, you don't even have to accept them as canon. If you want to do so, go on Amazon and buy up all the old EU and that can be your Star Wars. It was for years, why stop now? The passive aggressive nonsense hand-wringing should stop.

He wasn't going to live forever, anyway. No-one does. This way Star Wars can go on.

22. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015

Rich Evans reaction to the original TFA teaser is the thing of legend and I'll never look at R5-D4 the same again.

Plinkett reviews are the best but I also enjoy Half in the Bag quite a bit too. Can they be overly hard on some movies? Absolutely. Remember this is comedy first and actual review second. They are also, like you said, big fans. I'm sure TFA will get the full Plinkett treatment as it should and I really look forward to it, good or bad.

Hanyou and Good Blaster like this.
  23. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Good topic.

Ignorance is bliss. I fully expect all of this to happen, but it won't affect me as much if I don't pay any attention. I avoid things like buzzfeed and screen junkies, as well as cinema sins, because, frankly, even when they are being tongue-in-cheek I find that they kill the joy of cinema for me. As we get to the final weeks of the film coming out, I'm going to try and avoid the usual TV appearances by cast and crew. Mostly because I know there's no way I can possibly benefit from sitting through prime time trash, aimed at the casual couch potato, who has only a passing interest in the film.

The main one that applies generally for me is the knowledge that yes, one day, TFA will be a blu ray on my shelf and I won't even want to watch it if I'm bored.

Howard Hand likes this.
  24. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    -Nostalgia-baiting commercials telling people "how wonderful it is to grow up with Star Wars *now buy our products!

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It's nerdy to like Star Wars.
    It's cool to be nerdy about Star Wars.
    Too many people like Star Wars, so it's cool not care about Star Wars.
    It's cool to like Star Wars because less cool people are mocking it.
    And then it finally fades down into a core bunch of obsessives again.

Revanfan1, Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.