main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Guide to likely annoyances in the lead up to the release, and afterwards...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Liking Star Wars was never a niche thing though. It's about as mainstream as you can get
    That's true, but the soundtrack (the main draw of the movie for me) will make up for it as it'll surely be getting consistent playback over the next few years.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That one doesn't bother me, mostly because I almost exclusively watch new movies or shows when I'm bored. I watch films I like/love when the mood strikes me, and in the case of Star Wars I make a point of watching the films at least twice a year.

3. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    A bit confused...What is RLM? I'm technically a "millennial" and have no idea what that is. :p

4. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Yup, never understood this one, but we are bound to hear it a bit in December. As if the point of art in general, at least on some level, isn't to manipulate emotion.

Sarge likes this.
  5. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    It's just a movie let's chill

jjgriffin and Granek like this.
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Red Letter Media. Apart from that I don't actually know all that much about them, just that a lot of people seem to worship the ground they walk on. Just to clarify, I'm also a "Millennial".

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  7. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    And those same people were, two weeks prior, bashing GL for the Prequels.

8. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Haha yeah the Rich Evans review was pretty good. I love that they will destroy rare SW toys for comedy. Half in the Bag is fantastic, but Best of the Worst is probably my favorite.

9. Good Blaster

Oct 18, 2015
    You should check out some of their shows. The Plinkett reviews are a very small part of what RLM does. Start with Best of the Worst episode 1.

They also recently put up a ROTJ commentary that is really good. There are a few times they steer off course into discussing TFA but have to stop. They are obviously pretty excited.

10. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    To me the PT is amazing and on par if not better than the OT, but I adore the RLM reviews. They're hilarious! Brilliant comedy! So I for one hope they do a really long TFA review!

Ganger likes this.
  11. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The Plinkett reviews are interesting, though flawed. Some valid criticism, some attempting to shoehorn the prequels into very specific structure that doesn't credit the deliberate choice to take a few risks ( regardless of whether they paid off)

But overall, the thing that I don't like is the needless, poor quality running jokes about murder and torture of women which basically make it impossible to watch as a piece of interesting film criticism, and totally spoils it. You could cut half an hour from each review and have a really in depth, well argued critique, instead there's an overly long rant punctuated with unfunny visual gags about the reviewer being a murderer - how was that a good idea?

If they'd credited the prequels were it was due too, it would have been better. I've no time for the argument that they summed the prequels up perfectly, nor the argument that they completely missed the point. The truth was somewhere in the middle.

12. Mick RcCallum

Mick RcCallum Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 14, 2015
    Praising the OT and dissing the PT will be prerequisites in every mainstream critic review.
    Practical effects will be praised as a return to basics while CGI will be ignored as having replaced the other "basics" of matte paintings, blue screens, and stop-motion animation.
    Peter Mayhew will increase his autograph price at conventions.

Luke'sSeveredHand and Ganger like this.
  13. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Coming from someone like you, that actually enjoys the prequels, it's great. The serious defense mechanism a lot of fanboys display when defied with comedy about the PT's apparent lack of quality, is just sad. It's supposed to be funny, nothing else. In my opinion, RLM succeeded at that, and a lot of people seem to think so.

There was even this one guy that actually put up an essay detailing point by point how RLM "got things wrong". Of course it came off like a pathetic attempt and made the original RLM "review" seem even funnier. People like to watch things burn, and nothing burns funnier that an angry nerd fanboy. From that "Leave Britney alone" dude, to some of us, fans who treat their source of fandom like a religion that needs to be defended, are never right, and they're not wrong either, they just become logs for the never ending comedy fire.

14. Good Blaster

Oct 18, 2015
    To be fair it's not only for comedy. Those really are his feelings of the PT.

Ganger likes this.
  15. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    The barrage of "Luke is Kylo Ren!" articles and theories are already irritating as hell. Luckily, that will all stop once the movie is out. Also, lens flare jokes will be back in full-effect. Seriously, people... 2009 called and wants it's joke back.

...and I, for one, am really looking forward to the RLM review, no matter if the movie is good or bad. I still find his PT reviews endlessly entertaining. I agree, though, that the constant linking of his stuff by hipsters is indeed pretty annoying.

16. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    True, and to many, he's spot on. But it's still comedy in the end.

17. Good Blaster

Oct 18, 2015
    Oh yeah agreed.

18. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    "This is not a movie. It's a glorified two-hour video game"

Heard it since TPM o_O

19. DarthTedTheodoreLogan

DarthTedTheodoreLogan Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 10, 2015
    Baseless JJ bashing. Even if the movie is great and the story is perfect, there will be people who complain endlessly about every little instance of lens flare, shaky cam, and crash zoom, even if they're tastefully employed.

Also, the "better than the prequels" reviews. I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of the prequels (I do enjoy ROTS from time to time), and I hope TFA is better, but I don't really care to hear critics compare them. I have a feeling they will.

20. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    People complaining about the "casual fans" and/or "bandwagoners". If people like the movie, then there's no need to be sour about it.
    The inevitable "The Force Awakens is overrated" posts to be found around the internet (should it be good enough to warrant overrating, of course)

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  21. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    I'm expecting some backlash at the loads of CGI this movie's obviously going to have, since the marketing has been all about practical effects and so on.

22. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Shoot, I welcome the "Bandwagoners." I'm more annoyed by the "I liked it first, you're not a real fan" crowd:

[​IMG]

23. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    There's a place for all sorts of fandom. What we really mean by bandwagoners or "I liked it first"types are people who are convinced that their fandom is the best, whether it be out of a belief that being a newcomer who has appreciated new films is much better than those people who have always wasted their time with Star Wars, or out of a belief that new fans can offer no new insight

24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The one that is very obvious (especially around here) is those fans that are not going to like this film no matter what as revenge for the way the world treated the PT. The ones that go on and on about "A real desert" and try and push their agendas...

25. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Luddites like me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.