main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guide to Literature Spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Aug 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    You don't want to know them. You think you do, so those few of us who are the Protectors of Spoilers give you tiny insignificant details that although spoilers are meaningless to the general over all reading of the novel. What you are given are hints and clues to more significant events that serve only to whet your appetite and make you more than ever want to read the novel. Spoilers of this sort include what characters might be in a novel and what planets might be included. What you don't want to know and what you should never know before reading a novel is who is going to die, and in some cases who is going to live. You just don't know you don't want to know. And the few of us who know, we only know so we can protect everyone else from knowing too early. Consider it a personal sacrifice.
    All this talk of Jimmy and Herbert shouldn't be happening. Just read what is given to you from various fansites. Let them psyche you up, and be content with finding out the juiciest parts of novels on your own by reading it.

2. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I have a burning desire to read DE and CE because of some of the schweetest SW things there are:
    ESSDs, SSSDs, Carnor Jax and...uh...ummmm...well, thats it :D

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I agree wholeheartedly with DL.

4. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Unfortunately, you cannot put the genie back in the bottle, DL. If you want to stop discussion about Jimmy and Herbert, either start editing posts that have any reference to them or close down all threads that discuss SBS spoilers, since discussion of these two characters are bound to occur.

I believe that in doing so, you would be moving down a slippery slope, but it is your prerogative to do so. I find you to be a fair, open-minded person and I wouldn't want to see your rep tarnished.

5. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I'm not just talking about this instance. I'm referring to future instances.

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Newspapers should learn the Guide to Literatue Spoilers too.

Because of the press I bet more than 75% of the people who read VP but wern't web geeks knew Chewie died in it before reading it.

7. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    the rules change when the novel is released.

8. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    I understand that, but controlling what people post like that could really fan some rebellious intent around here.

I really wouldn't want to see the potential arising for you to be dragged through the metaphorical mud with the metaphorical tar and feathers all over your body.

9. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Also, TFN (and us) might have to be carefull on a legal standpoint . . . if it starts happening to much, Del Rey could act.

10. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I say that any and all spoilers should be confined to a thread with a CLEAR SPOILER WARNING IN THE TITLE. That way, if you don't want to get spoiled but you are stupid enough to go into the thread, that's your problem.

11. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    How did the MAJOR spoiler (you know what I'm talking about) leak out in the first place? Maybe it's the protectors of spoilers who need adjusting (this isn't a personal attack, but rather an observation)!

12. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    That's the only exception to my argument. If DR or LFL were to take legal action, then such a policy would be forced upon us and we'd have to live with it.

But such a policy should not be implemented without external legal pressure, since it could certainly lead to a backlash.

On the other hand, if legal action is threatened, then everyone would understand since TF.N. could then be sued and shut down, or it could only be limited to the Lit Forum possibly or individual posters could be targeted.

13. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Still, that has its own problems, as Trolls will get spoilers from that thread, and post elsewhere without warning, ruining the enjoyment for many people.

I guess it all depends on the level of spoiler, and I agree with DL's post. Character deaths, etc . . . should remain unknown to the general populace for as long as possible before the book release, but planets, locations, minor things like that *should* be ok.

14. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    not talking about us restricting people, but calling for self restraint.

15. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I would say that major spoilers shouldn't appear at all until a week or so before the release, and only in specially marked topics after that. The information on Chewie's death in VP that was posted a couple of weeks before the book hit shelves was cutting it pretty close. Same with the Rebirth spoilers. These early spoilers on S^2 are just insane.

16. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    here's another angle that hasn't been considered. The authors that write these novels deserve them not to be spoiled.

17. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yea, thats for sure.

I've managed to find some non SBS threads in Lit, that God. I dont wanna be spoiled to much.

18. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    As far as the SBS spoilers go . . . they've psyched me up to actually look forward to the novel.

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    True.

I am thinking of forming a policy to mirror this for TFN Books - perhaps limiting major spoilers a week before release?

20. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    No, authors do not deserve to have to book their spoiled. This situation is unique in that some supposed insider came and put things where they should not have been. People who wanted to know found, people who didn't want to know found, it wasn't long before anyone curious who was not here that day could find out. It has exploded to where people who would have normally not brought it back up talk about it anyhow because it is almost everywhere now anyhow. I have only been here about a year but I have not seen this happen before. Unless a similar person comes along next time, we probably don't have to worry about this degree of spoiler again. I have always been suprised with books in the past, this specific time things got crazy.

21. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    limit the major ones to midnight release day if you have to post them at all.

22. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    This spoiler problem is a plague. I hardly post in Lit, and totally avoid most things dealing with SbS. I really HATE knowing the MAJOR SPOILER!!! Unlike most things, you cannot erase the knowledge of that spoiler.

23. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    And how is spoiling yourself rotten in the Literature world any different than the AOTC spoiler hounds in the movie forum?

No different.

Mark the spoiler as such if you feel compelled to post it.

24. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I dont understand the difference either.

25. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Jan 10, 2000
    And the movie folks eat, sleep and breath spoilers over in the AOTC/Ep III forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.