main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guide to Literature Spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Aug 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    What will it be, my lady ? Tranquilizers ? Chains ? Lanvarok ?

2. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    On the other hand, that's the great thing about spoilers and inside information. Sometimes, the info is just wrong.

I remember reading an explination of the Episode I Trailer A, and someone saying the Queen's Starship was a Z-95 Headhunter that Anakin flew.

3. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    So, is the thread actually unintentionally confirming that Jimmy/Herbert/both die(s)???

4. Cigam Retah

Mar 30, 1999
    'No Comment' sometimes is the most breaking news of all.

5. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Simplest suggestions I can think of bring in a Spoilers Allowed Literature forum for the discussion and speculation of new books such as SbS.
    You guys have spoiler discussions on this book already, which itself is simply pages and pages of discussion on who will die in SbS. No offense but threads like that practically beg for people to start their own theories or dig up info and actual spoilers as to who will die and who will not.

We have a spoiler board for the movies, which is respected by LucasFilm, why not a spoiler board for the books?
    Otherwise, if you wish to take a stance against strong spoilers such as character deaths then do NOT allow discussion on their deaths at all, as it leads to another thing which will in turn lead to spoilers.

6. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Tellesto... The problem is once the news is a bit spread, it's unavoidable that ppl will start talking about it. Allowing free discussion about it in one post is necessary, because otherwise ppl will start talking about it everywhere else. This 'channels' the flood.

7. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Since Chewie died, and Leia almost did, it is pretty much a proven fact that death is a part of the NJO, at least right now. You can't stop speculation on future deaths unless you stop all speculation, and without speculation, what would this forum be?

However, I do think a seperate "spoilers allowed" lit forum is a good idea, especially if people who don't stick to that forum with their spoilers are banned.

Spoilers are seperate from speculation until someone states that their speculation is fact or digs up something to prove that speculation on something is true. I like spoilers, but major spoilers create so much controversy that I just try to avoid them. I ran into Jimmy by accident, and I regret it, although I still half don't believe it. I have just decided not to believe or wholly disbelieve until I read the book.

I agree that major spoilers should be posted only in the week before the book is released.

I also personally admire the way Jimmy was handled, am glad that people who know are refraining from spoiling others, even others who ask to be spoiled, and am proud to hold my silence.

8. Cigam Retah

Mar 30, 1999
    "This 'channels' the flood."

I can never respect or condone the suppresion of any free speech.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Cigam...
    "I can never respect or condone the suppresion of any free speech."

I disagree. I think there are times which it is very reasonable to suppress total freedom of speech. I would describe unfairly providing spoilers as the EULit. equivalent of yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater. It harms people plain and simple. And there are laws against such free speech. People are not free to harm others (libel laws are another acceptable suppression of free speech, for example).

What do I consider "unfair" spoilers - ones which aren't marked in a thread's title. I do consider marked spoiler posts in an unmarked thread unfair, because I've been burned before by people not putting enough space, warning, etc.

What do I consider fair? Ones which are clearly and unambiguously marked in a thread title.

The Admins need to way the harm such freedoms may pose on people. When it comes to this forum, I would say having someone's reading experience ruined by no fault of their own should be considered harmful.

10. Cigam Retah

Mar 30, 1999
    Don't give me that tired 'Fire in a theater' bull. You know what I was refering to. There isn't going to be any rioting in the Jedi Council.

Also, the Moderators should do their job, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed spoiler discussion. Nor do we need the Moderators picking and choosing what 'spoilers' are safe to talk about and which ones are not.

If I haven't missed my mark, this is a 'Star Wars Message Board,' and most specifically here, a message board dedicated to the discussion of Star Wars Literature. The death of characters in upcoming books would properly catagorized within the category.

*spoiler warning*
    There should be no threads titled 'We'll miss Anakin and Feyla!'

But then, that rings true with all proper net ettitque for spoilers.

We should not make thousands change their ways due to the actions of a handful of children.

11. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Actually, I think the RogueJaina has hit one of the major problems here on the head.

Spoilers are seperate from speculation until someone states that their speculation is fact or digs up something to prove that speculation on something is true.

Some people are so desparate to be proven right, and have people know that they guessed correctly or have inside information. That is generally when things start to go haywire. If people have the control and self satisfaction that they know that they are right, but will be nice enough to wait until just before the book comes out, or even after it, before saying "I told you so" then I doubt that there will be as many problems.

I also have to agree with Genghis about the unfair warnings. Make it extremely clear in the title that you are talking about spoilers. I won't walk into half the threads here at the moment because many of them look to have spoilers in them, and I do not want to know who Jimmy is. Which by the way, even though using another name is great, already some people are giving out details without thinking because they assume that using a name is enough. Someone mentioned about them possibly falling to the Dark Side and about how they've been expecting this that and the other. That then really does lower the number of people that it could be, which means that you start spoiling those who don't want to know.

12. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I think that a separate spoiler forum would be great, if it could be made to work. However, there might be some problems with creating a new forum for lit spoilers.

Would all threads that require spoiler warnings need to be put in this new forum? In that case someone would have to go to the spoiler forum to discus a book that came out two or three days before hand. This might cause some problems, because that person could stumble across a spoiler thread that he or she didn?t want to be in.

A forum just for spoilers and speculation of upcoming books could also pose some problems. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that most of the people who come into the Lit forum do it to discuss books that are already out. At the time of this post there is only one spoiler thread on the front page. If the Lit forum were to be split up into spoiler and non-spoiler forum I?m not sure that there would be enough people to keep the spoiler forum alive.

13. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Again, this gets into the "what is a spoiler" question. Perhaps a second forum is not the answer, but something has to be done.

14. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    without saying too muc, I will say that I traced the spoiler-dude's IP to his place of employment... somewhere close enough to Del Rey, that he probably would be fired if his handlers found out what he did.

15. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I wish they would find out! After what he did he should be given the pink slip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I normally don't have a problem with spoilers. I read all the stuff about Attack of the Clones and when it comes to literature I read everything GhentZ posts. But I do feel that I've learned about this Star By Star stuff way too early. There's still 2 months to go. At least I read the Rebirth review 2 days before I bought and read it. Of course, I'm not even sure that time matters and on that note I feel incredibly hypocritical saying that AotC spoilers arriving years and months before its release is ok yet spoilers on a book arriving 2 months before is wrong. It seems very evident that I'm a flawed being.

However, for once I feel that reading spoilers (and this time accidentally) has ruined part of the upcoming reading experience. I wonder if a handful of 'Official' threads could be made where the spoilers could be discussed and only in there. I don't think that one thread could work so maybe one thread detailing each upcoming book or something like that.

17. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Ahem... IP-tracing ? DL, is that... legal ?

And don't tell me "I will make it legal", plz...

18. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    However, for once I feel that reading spoilers (and this time accidentally) has ruined part of the upcoming reading experience.

As you stated, you read the Attack of the Clones spoilers by your choice, because they were limited to that forum only.
    If that can be done with Attack of the Clones, a major pop-culture event then surely it would not be hard to handle with a simple Star Wars book.

19. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Splitting the Forum will be a terrible idea. It's been split once, another won't help. Plus, the forum will only be about SbS or the next novel. Traffic will be as low as the Pacific Isles FF.

20. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I trace IPs all the time. it helps to know who is from where. Especially Lucasfilm spooks.

21. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    If IP tracing is illegal, then half of the Internet is in trouble. The admins used to just have links they could click on at the bottom of each post to see a user's IP.

22. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    now it is in your profiles

23. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Personally, I disagree with publically revealing where the source is from. He innocently made a mistake, and now greatly regrets that, and won't be posting spoilers here again.

24. darthsharma

darthsharma Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2001
    Perhaps amusingly, I dont even want to read the whole of this thread in case I chance upon some spoilers.

** SPOILERS **

Although this is my first post I've been frequenting this site for quite a while and when I'm bored I tend to browse it. Hence I've inadvertently chanced upon the facts that someone (Jimmy and/or Herbert, whoever they might be) dies in SBS and xxx turns to the darkside in Dark Journies (sp).

Now the first one in quite probably my curiousity's fault, but there is definately a threads title in the forum that gives away the second one and frankly that isnt on. I have no problem with people wanting to know and discussing spoilers but others should be able to take part in the forum and avoid spoilers if they so wish.

I realise that policing every thread would be ridiculous but I'd urge the administrators to edit the threads titles with any unreleased spoilers in them and people to save spoilers for threads with (spoilers) in the title.

Even more amusingly, in skipping through this thread I've chanced upon possible identities of Jimmy and Herbert, which I'm trying not to think about.

25. Cigam Retah

Mar 30, 1999
    What the devil is an 'unreleased spoiler?'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.