main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guide to the Grand Army (Insider #84)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by KarenTraviss, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarenTraviss

KarenTraviss Author: -Hard Contact -Triple Zero -LOTF star 4 VIP

Mar 27, 2004
    I have Goalkeeper and Oerlikons standing by, Admiral. [face_laugh]

Ten rounds rapid, in your own time, go on...

2. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Hi Karen,

any chance of a quick precis of what's in the article?

e.g. what legions and commanders are named, anyone we didn't see in ROTS, etc?

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    *surreptitiously funds an anti-war demo in the thread*

Oh, okay... that's just me causing trouble... :p

I'm as eager for more GAR information as the next 'Wok...

Any chance of an appendix of recipies?

- The Imperial Ewok

4. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Creation and training: ORBATs, with strengths: equipment and transport: named men, some of whom you've seen before, and some who'll be new to you: and why they were so damned good.

5. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    My "100 Low-Carb Ways With Ewok and Kaminoan" will be out soon, brought to you by MandoMeals Press.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Karen:

Is the number of clones every discussed? I know there is alot of disagreement on this, especially given that Lucas said that there were only a few million clones total.

Without spoiling us, how did you and Ryan tackle this?

--Adm. Nick

7. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Yes, we give numbers, and the reason they were so effective despite those numbers. (Broken down, too.)

Well, it was the proverbial quart into a pint pot, and the hardest bit was how much overmatter we still had - and the feature is still a lot longer than it was supposed to be.

We staged a two pronged approach: Ryan, who'd wanted to do this for some time, had been keeping a careful tally of continuity issues that needed infilling or backgrounding, and I came up with a list of must-have headings to structure it. Then we divvied up the tasks between us and went off to collate our respective areas of info. Then Ryan sent me his material and I merged it with mine, and we kicked it around again to see what was missing and that it was consistent. Once we'd decided what was going into the final copy (with a shoe-horn if need be) I subbed it into one style and sections so that the Insider folk could lay it out, and then sent it through LFL's continuity checking process.

Voila. Eight pages of clonely wonderfulness. Then we received the finished layout with artwork, and went "Squeeeeee! It's lovely! Oooh!"

We did. We really did.

There was still a lot that we had to leave out, and I believe TOS will be running an interview with us about why we did what we did and what we wished we'd had room for.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    KT: My "100 Low-Carb Ways With Ewok and Kaminoan" will be out soon, brought to you by MandoMeals Press.

Looking forward to it! :D

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/gladiuus/ewokjedi.png]
    "After the Battle of Endor, a low-level war continued for several years between surviving Fett clones and the Ewoks of the Bright Tree Village, marked by widespread eating of enemy captives on both sides."

No, really; I really am. [face_whistling] :)

- The Imperial Ewok

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Have them pop some of that scissored content up on "Hyperspace," as a bonus for us gleeps. (Or something. [face_skull])

At the war's beginning, though -- those 1.2 mils were only those ready for delivery by Kamino; there were still "millions more" already detanked and undergoing combat-testing around Kamino, according to Inside the Worlds of AOTC.

By the third year, there are tens of millions pouring out of the birthing-crèches, ready for deployment.

But I feel that young Ewok fresh off a Gonk-droid hibachi is still best.

Razorback-pork is also delish, I hear.

10. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    With a raspberry vinegar and walnut oil vinaigrette, pan-seared Kaminoan belly is to die for.

Wait...we're veering off-topic again...

11. Ryan_Kaufman

Ryan_Kaufman DHC Author & Former LucasArts Content Supervisor star 3 VIP

Mar 15, 2005
    Deliciously off-topic.

12. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I love the smell of roasted Kaminoan in the morning. Or afternoon. Or whenever. =P~

13. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Not the eyes, though. You know what happened last time.

Can you recommend a sake to accompany this?

14. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    How about a Mando vintage. Bottled just before Galidraan.

15. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    "Okay, let me answer this the other way, then. I have clone warships coming up in Triple Zero. All clone crew, with a Jedi. (For ballast, probably.) So I've given them their own flotilla, at least for what I like to think of as the HMS Fearless role."

Hmm, so do the Clones crew the Acclamators and other troop transports (along with some positions on warships as seen in RotS) while the rest of the fleet is gradually built up using veterans from sector navies/new recruits etc?

16. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    My counsel advises me to respond thus:

At the risk of having this taken down and used against me in evidence one day, that deployment would make most sense to me. However, I reserve the right to throw the occasional clone crew in where I feel they would be most effective, which could be anywhere, because this is simply maritime...er, space/air capability. This is consistent with my estimate planning.

That is all. Carry on. :cool:

17. Qu_Klaani

Mar 27, 2004
    "At the risk of having this taken down and used against me in evidence one day, that deployment would make most sense to me. However, I reserve the right to throw the occasional clone crew in where I feel they would be most effective, which could be anywhere, because this is simply maritime...er, space/air capability. This is consistent with my estimate planning."

Well that kind of thing can be easily justified by how much of a mess the Republic military was in the early months of the war, during that time the Clones seemed to do pretty much everything, so its perfectly believable that you'd find clones in seemingly unorthodox roles later in the war.

18. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    D'ye hear there!*

I'm told that the UK Star Wars mag will be running the GAR feature, because their contract is to take the entire content from the US edition.

I don't know when. But it's supposed to be coming.

That is all.*

(*If we're going to accommodate Fleet Junkies here, then I want proper RN pipe procedure observed...)

19. -Basilisk-

-Basilisk- Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    Wow, my Insider actually arrived on time for once in the past few years, and here's my initial reaction to the GGAR: The GGAR is awesome and the most in-depth article I've ever seen on a military facet of Star Wars. There's a lot of great new information in here, including exactly who the Null ARCs are (finally!). It's nice to have a Command Structure breakdown for the GAR instead of leaving it to speculation like the Imperial and New Republic militaries have been. The article is bursting at the seams with continuity fixes that cover most of the major issues that I can think of. I throughly enjoyed the article. With this and an expanded HoloNet news article, Insider 84 is one of the best in recent memory.

20. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Not.Fair. [face_plain]:mad:

Would you mind to post the part about Null ARCs in here or is this forbidden? I just wanna know about these badasses :cool:

21. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Thank you! Your brown envelope of dollar bills is in the mail. ;)

22. Qu_Klaani

Mar 27, 2004
    "Wow, my Insider actually arrived on time for once in the past few years blah blah etc"

***damnit man, details!

23. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Excellent. As first to get it you get the best priveledge of all. To spoil us rotten.

Come my friend share this great amount of COOL information with us.

Also is the General Grevious article in this issue?

24. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Seeing as it's in the public domain now...

My lovely Null boys were a prototype batch before the Alpha batch. The Kaminoans tried to get clever and enhance the Jango genome, and it didn't go quite as planned. Of the initial batch of 12, only six clone foetuses survived to full term.

Those six were trained by that ol' sweetheart Sergeant Kal Skirata. Two of them, N-10 (Jaing) and N-6 (Kom'rk) were the Clone Intelligence Units who located General Grievous. The lads were the best black ops men this side of the Black Stump, but completely off the wall and loyal only to Kal.

Damn, I'm proud of those boys! (Mad, bad and charming to know, to paraphrase Lady Caroline Lamb.)

25. -Basilisk-

-Basilisk- Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    No, the Grevious article isn't in this one. And while I don't feel like writing a summary of the entire article, I will mention a small detail I found facinating:

EDIT: Bah, look up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.