main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guide to the Grand Army (Insider #84)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by KarenTraviss, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Actually, I posted that befor your post, lol ... never mind...

Yes, and I guess we have a totally different man than Jango, haven't we?

We'll see about that... *g*

But with you as an author they gotta be great :D

2. KarenTraviss

KarenTraviss Author: -Hard Contact -Triple Zero -LOTF star 4 VIP

Mar 27, 2004
    In some ways, yes. Mentally, quite different.

Remember, I take the view that no clone is better than another - they're just better suited to their different tasks. So I'm not setting the Nulls up to be "better" than the ARCs. Just different. It's a reflection of the fact that it's impossible to make absolute cookie cutter versions of any species, even if they look the same. Every life is an individual life, be it a sheep or a man.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    some ARC talked about remembering the geonosis mission. but they came out of stasis after geonosis, so the question when they got in stasis remains.

4. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    I'll see if I can pin that down. I'm like you - loose ends drive me scatty. I want tidy timelines!

5. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    thx, and with spoilers of the GAR article in several threads (some in the mandalorian thread about new holstice), I get really impatient to read it.

6. Ryan_Kaufman

Ryan_Kaufman DHC Author & Former LucasArts Content Supervisor star 3 VIP

Mar 15, 2005
    As a special treat for you TFN guys, I'd like to impart a little nugget of GAR info that had to be cut from the GGAR article (because of length.)

Jango trained the ARCs as he would have trained his own Mando sons. That meant many live-fire exercises, and some unavoidable casualties and deaths.

The Kaminoans, bean-counters and perfectionists, still wanted a batch of exactly 100 ARCs. So, they replaced the dead and wounded ARCs with regular clone troopers. These troopers were given a "trial by fire" and forced to keep up with their unaltered brethren. As a testament to the heart of the average clone trooper, there were no washouts.

When the decision came down to place the unpredictable ARC troopers in stasis, these regular-army ARCs were allowed to remain in service. They were considered more docile and easier to command than their counter-parts. They are also commonly referred to simply as "commandos." (Not to be confused with Republic Commandos.)

THIS is the reason why you have some ARC troopers who served at Geonosis. And ARCs who don't fit the usual profile, for various reasons.

7. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    A well-crafted retcon indeed!

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I love this retcon, thx alot! it is great info resolving that matter finally! anything else cut that you want to reveal? ;)

9. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I'll see if I understand this: in order of creation, Null-ARC (Ø-ARC) troopers, Alpha-ARC troopers, ARC troopers, clone commandoes. All of them basically experimental to begin with.

So which Ø-ARCs died before being activated? Without giving too much away, I'd like to work a fanfictional Null into my own writings, and because I consider my fanfiction part of a personal canon (I wish that you weren't restricted by contract, because we could have some good things to discuss about the clones, but meh) I want to ensure that I won't have to be completely reworking stuff that is contradicted by canon, which rightfully ignores fanon (most of the time).

As an aside, does the article say whether the clone commanders trained by Alpha (Cody, Neyo, Bly, Bacara, Thire, Odd Ball, Keller, Appo, and the rest) were given his tutelage class as their final instruction before being shipped out into the Wars or just retired back to Kamino to undergo the instruction for a couple months or so? Personally, I'm thinking the former - the first-generation and second-generation commanders were just stock clones given standardized leadership training courses et al. and shipped out, while the third-generation(?) commanders were the ones trained by Alpha midway through the war (possibly delaying their entrance into Republic military ranks) before being sent into battle. That's what all sources seem to be implying; I'm just wondering if GGAR says for sure.

10. Ryan_Kaufman

Mar 15, 2005
    Kudzu, we very carefully chose the phrase "rotated through the program" to cover both commanders who were in the field, and commanders yet to graduate from Kamino. They came from all generations and were admitted based on both merit and Factor H.

11. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Copy that, Commander Ryman. Thanks for the info.

12. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    *waits patiently for someone tosay "Whats Factor H?"*...well? Come on, chop chop lads!
    EDIT: What generation was Konehead Killer?

13. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I would imagine that you have the same interest in this particular question as yours truly does, as well as young_zev.

14. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    I [face_love] Bacara...I have to get a tattoo like that...right next to the Mark of Khorne and Eye of Chaos...

15. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    They never had names, just numbers, and you'll have to wait for TZ to work those out, alas. They died as foetuses.

EDIT: see post below re Nulls versus zero designations.

16. Ryan_Kaufman

Mar 15, 2005
    Factor H is public knowledge.

I have been authorized to award the Jaig Eyes to the first person who can identify the source. (And once you get Insider 84, you'll know what those are.) If you know me, and what I've worked on, it should be uj cake.

17. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Damn, I can't enter, can I?

18. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Valor.

BTW, Karen? You're evil. :_|

19. -Basilisk-

-Basilisk- Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    Also, the Null Arcs only use the N- designation right? I know that Spar's designation was Alpha-Ø2 and last I heard he was a standard ARC, so I just want to be sure that I have my facts straight.

20. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Alpha-02 "Spar". Confusingly, A-17 "Alpha" wasn't one of the original Alpha-ARC run (which seems to have been Alpha-01 through Alpha-09). I favor Ø-ARC for Null-ARC personally; officially, I doubt there's a standardized shortened designation (either "N-ARC" or "Ø-ARC").

But yes, N-1 through N-12 would be the Nulls. Spar wasn't a Null.

What number is Ordo?

21. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    I think we're getting confused here because of the use of the word null to mean zero.

The Nulls (who are called that for a very specific reason explained in TZ) have numbers like N-11. There were 12 to start with but six died at the foetal stage. Six survived and became the Null ARC intel chaps run by Kal Skirata.

Spar isn't a Null, but a regular Alpha-type ARC. His number is just zero two, or null two, as some have it.

Have I cleared that up? Ask again if not.

22. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004

Ordo is N-11.

23. -Basilisk-

-Basilisk- Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    Thank you, that clears things up. It was the use of the null symbol instead of zero that made things a bit confusing.

24. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Foetal? Do you mean fetal?

EDIT: Oops. [face_blush]

25. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Are all of the Nulls part of Clone Intelligence (and is Clone Intelligence entirely comprised of those six Ø-ARCs?), or just a few of the six?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.