main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guidelines for constructive criticism

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediGaladriel, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Interactive boards are a wonderful tool for "workshopping" writing, but they can also simply be used for people who like fanfic to encourage one another. Both are legitimate approaches.

So, for clarity's sake, let's try the following guidelines:

1. If a fic is posted on the story board, unless the author specifies that s/he would like to be told about spelling and grammar errors, assume that it's just being posted to share. This doesn't mean you can't say anything constructive, but it means it should be in the form of interested questions -- eg, if a plot element has suddenly come out of nowhere, you might say, "Did Leia have that three-headed dog before? I think I might have missed it." And the author can say, "No, I edited back in to the last post" or "Yes, it was there, but I haven't mentioned it for awhile" or whatnot. Mostly, the kind of detailed feedback on board stories should be lively conversations about the ideas the author is bringing up -- "It's interesting that you have Han taking over the Rebellion. It really shows a marked character arc. And I think that someone who has practical experience would... " etc, etc.

2. If any fiction is posted on this board (the Resource forum), it will be assumed that the writer is looking for a detailed critique, from typos all the way up to overarching structure. No fiction should be posted to this board for any other reason. The Resource forum exists both for, well, resource discussion and for all other fic community discussions that are not story based.

3. If, on the story forum, something is being systematically misspelled in a story you're otherwise enjoying, and it's distracting, a polite PM to the author is allowed, along the lines of "I'm not sure if you realize it, but 'whooziwats' is spelled with an 'h'. It's not a major issue, but... " and so on... as long as it assumes that the author is an intelligent human being, and treats him or her with due respect. And authors, recognize that a correction of this sort is not an attack; it's an attempt to help, and the proper response is "Thank you. I'll fix that in an edit" or "Thanks, but actually I was using the Canadian spelling of 'wooziwats.' Glad you're enjoying the story, though." It obviously could also be, "Oops, the spelling monster strikes again! Thanks for the assist!" or something like that, as long it remains friendly and acknowledges that the person is trying to help you and your story create a better impression.

4. If things get out of hand -- if a thread is co-opted by a sudden influx of people explaining why "colour" shouldn't be spelled with a "u" or something -- please PM a mod. That's what we're here for. Do not start flaming or attacking in the thread or by e-mail or PM. We may not agree that it's a flame, but we can certainly say, "Okay, this has gone on long enough."

5. Always assume the other person means well unless s/he specifically starts to be insulting. And even if s/he does so, give him or her a chance to save face by assuming you couldn't possibly have heard properly: "Oh, I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it sounded... " Chances are, the poster didn't mean it the way it came out, and the response can be, "Oh, no, of course not, I'm sorry it came out that way. I only meant... " (I don't know if that's exactly copyrighted to Judith Martin's Miss Manners, but I'll credit her for giving me the idea for safety's sake.) If the "out" isn't taken -- if it escalates -- then contact a mod.

6. Under no circumstance will "flaming" of a story or author be tolerated.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks for the clarifications, JG.

3. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Thank you, JG. I hope everyone sees this and pays due attention.

4. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Thanks JG, Good Guidelines :)

Am [face_love]

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Finally there are guidelines for this. Thank you so much JG. ;)

6. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Just glad to help out. I want everyone to have a good time here.

7. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    nice, JG. :)

8. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Thanks, JG.

9. BelleBayard

BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Mar 16, 2000
    Excellent idea. Personally, if I have a question regarding the spelling, structure or whatever, I'd rather PM someone for clarification before posting publically. That's just my preference.

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Thanks for posting this, JG! :) I hope that we'll avoid any misunderstandings now... :)

11. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Yeah... it's one of those spinach-in-your-teeth things. It's good to know so you can take it out, but embarrassing to be called on in public.

With the plot question, it's a judgment issue. If it can be brought up in such a way that it doesn't embarrass the author, then go ahead; it may be something other readers are also wondering about.

Oh, just to clarify -- I gave the other mods the information on these guidelines, but two of us are specifically watching fanfic (myself and Mr. P), and it's probably best to contact one of us.

12. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    An oldie, but goodie.

13. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Good to see this about, again, Herman.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    2. If any fiction is posted on this board (the Resource forum), it will be assumed that the writer is looking for a detailed critique, from typos all the way up to overarching structure. No fiction should be posted to this board for any other reason. The Resource forum exists both for, well, resource discussion and for all other fic community discussions that are not story based.

This seems like news to me. Can fics be posted in the Resource forum for such discussion, or is this more referring to excerpts?

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. Jedi_Bant

Jedi_Bant Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2004
    1. If a fic is posted on the story board, unless the author specifies that s/he would like to be told about spelling and grammar errors, assume that it's just being posted to share. This doesn't mean you can't say anything constructive, but it means it should be in the form of interested questions -- eg, if a plot element has suddenly come out of nowhere, you might say, "Did Leia have that three-headed dog before? I think I might have missed it." And the author can say, "No, I edited back in to the last post" or "Yes, it was there, but I haven't mentioned it for awhile" or whatnot. Mostly, the kind of detailed feedback on board stories should be lively conversations about the ideas the author is bringing up -- "It's interesting that you have Han taking over the Rebellion. It really shows a marked character arc. And I think that someone who has practical experience would... " etc, etc.

16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Excerpts, solo. :)

Good find, Herman! You should've made this a stickie...

17. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Also SJ, there is the Constructive Crit thread somewhere in here.

KD (who is months behind there as well - sheesh!)

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, I've lost track of the Concrit thread. I'm going to go search it out now...

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.