main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guitar Wars - The Indie Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by TamlaTim, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TamlaTim

TamlaTim Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2007
    Hello London

Sorry to make my first post a shameless plug - "How Wude" - but I am a real person and I think you guys might really enjoy this Star Wars themed day out (and it's not like we make any money from these things - we just want a good turnout).

POP-ART Presents..."Guitar Wars: The Indie Strikes Back" , on:
    Sunday 13th May 2007
    at: Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes, London WC1H 9EU. (tel: 020 7691 2610)

FREE ENTRY doors: 3pm till 11-ish

[image=http://popartlondon.co.uk/graphics/guitarwars_493x700.jpg]

(The flyer has come out really small but it looks ace really. Check out www.popartlondon.co.uk

The theme of the day will be a rock n roll party celebrating the 30th anniversary of Star Wars... soundtracked by alternative rock and indiepop in a Bowling Alley not so far, far away.

Artists playing include...

Pocketbooks
    Small Gang
    Klouds
    Zebede Rays
    (Han So)Low Edges

Plus more acts TBA

Naturally dressing in Star Wars-esque fancy dress is encouraged and compare "Leicester's Funnyman" Dave Rees will be on hand providing galactic gags and on stage "game shows".

The venue also offers bowling and private karaoke rooms at additional cost... if you are a Jedi feel free to use the force to guide the bowling ball but please don't sever any limbs with your light saber.

Dom (Panic!), PhoeniX PhiL, Tamla Tim will also be spinning a fine mix of cult classics, indiepop and new alternative from the DJ both i.e..
    Pulp, Belle &; Sebastian, The Laurel Colective, Hefner, The Cure, Dinosaur Jr, Art Brut, Love, Husker Du, Saturday Looks Good To Me, Butcher Boy, The Cribs, Prince, Tilly &; The wall, Blondie, The Only Ones, Carter USM, Pixies, And What Will Be Left Of Them? , Architecture In Helsinki, Brighteyes, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Metro Corskol, The Ramones, Arcade Fire, Therapy?, Dangerdoom, Luke Haines, Kiss, Elastica, Sonic Youth, 60's Motown, Jonathan Richman, Teenage Fanclub, Suede, Postal Service, Josie &; The Pussycats, Idlewild, Broken Social Scene, Eddie Cochran, Guns N Roses, Lucky Soul, Kenickie, The Go-Betweens, David Bowie, , The Smiths, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Camera Obscura, The Undertones etc. etc."

I should say, it's not a 'convention' in the conventional sense of the word. No guest speakers from the films or anything like that - just a day of music, fun and camaraderie for fans.

Thanks for listening, Keep A Little PopArt in Your Heart.

x

www.popartlondon.co.uk

2. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Hmmm I have no clue where that is. But Im not one to turn down a free gig :D

Any links these bands stuff?

3. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Sounds very good, and this is always a good place to do some self-plugging, so have no fear ;)

I doubt very much I'll be able to make it, but if anyone does feel free to report back here with a review.

I do however really like your flyer. Great use of the Falcon there :D

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Agreed. Best use of the Falcon ever :p

5. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    Hmmm, 13th of may. I believe I'm not working that day, which ib turn means... PAAAARTY!
    How sad of me to say that, I know. But it sounds so good that I had to. Any way, count me in. An dMatthew too if he isn't working. [face_dancing]

6. TamlaTim

TamlaTim Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2007
  7. Kiz-Joa_Janall

May 14, 2005
    Just bumping this thread guys as it would be good to see some faces (some old and some new) plus this seems like the perfect place for that. So get your little tooshies down there tomorrow.
    Just take your pick of Euston or Russel Square tube stations and it's a short walk from there. Hope to see some of you soon. 8-}

8. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I know Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes well, it's right around the corner from my office.

9. Saeed-Rubeyi

Saeed-Rubeyi Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2007
    I was here. I was one of the only two guys that dressed up, and received abuse for preferring Star Trek. So unaccepting. tut tut.

Saeed.

10. Kiz-Joa_Janall

May 14, 2005
    Merely in jest my friend, [:D]. I cheered you on when you were using the fork.
    We like Star Trek here too, just lean more towards Star Wars that's all.

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Your RSA is a HUGE Trek fan, and any intolerance towards us will be treated most harshly :p

12. Saeed-Rubeyi

Saeed-Rubeyi Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2007
    Yeah I know it was all in good humor, and it was nice to meet you. I'll work on my costume and try and make it to that thing you were on about.

So do you all know each other in RL here? or have you not all met yet? I'm always curious about forums.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Most of us London lot have met a few times.

14. Kiz-Joa_Janall

May 14, 2005
    As the adverts used to say "It's good to talk".
    We have met outside of p.c. world and some of us have even disappeared (Serje) for months at a time.
    It's good to keep in touch with fellow geeks because everyone else tends to think of you as a crazy (which either way doesn't really matter). [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.