main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Gulf Coast trajedy

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    Certainly no one has missed the destruction of Hurricane Katrina.. I just want to ask everyone to keep them in our prayers.. and even though for the time being they are probably not seeing posts.. let's post our love and concern for them on their forums.. let them know we are praying for them.

On a different but same veined note I have been sending out emails to area radio stations trying to come up with ideas for getting money and non-perishable food items procured. Idea being some sort of challenge to area servers and other people that work for tips to give a portion of a days/ weeks/ hours tips to the disaster relief fund. Promoting it on air to drum up business for the cause.. also wanting area restaurants and stores to place bins at their doors for people to drop off non-perishables. These people are desperate as was seen by the looting in Lousiana.. I know some of the people were looting jewelry and electronics.. which admittedly is just stupid.. however.. most of the people were taking food, diapers, wipes, toilet paper.. things they need to survive!! I want to be a part of the solution to this.. not part of the problem of people saying someone else will do it.. we don't have too.

So therefore.. I am encouraging our group to help as well.. we are small in number.. but let's think if we can do something.. perhaps get with Phoenix and help.. we need to strike while the iron is hot certainly.

edited by Brotherhalo - made sticky to keep at top

2. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I listened to the President speak today and he asked that right now we send cash/check to whatever charitable organization we choose but make it clear that it is for the Hurricane victims.

I wish we had some folks who had armor. We could work with the Red Cross or a radio station doing a dollar donation to take a picture with a stormtrooper or something.

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    does Phoenix have anyone with armor that we could get here. Or is there anywhere that rents the armor.. we might could convince the store that since it is for a good cause they might let us rent it for free. As all the proceeds would go to disaster relief.

what do you think

we could also have a bin set up at the place to drop off donations. I am sure the radio station would assist in promoting such an endeavor.

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Lown's is going to discuss the issue with his wife tonight and I am supposed to call him back tomorrow around noon, he will let me know what they can do to assist. They do have Darth Vader and Storm Trooper costumes in stock. So we shall see what they can do for us. That would certainly be a start in the right direction.

Any ideas on where we could hold something like this.. I am leaning towards Villians and Heroes.. but he has not made all that happy in the past.. I may give him a call anyway though.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I know we are jumping the gun as we do not know if Lown's can help.. but we are going to need a camera and film arn't we?? Or do we just tell people to bring their own camera? Should I start hitting up Wal-mart, Target, who is going to be most likely to donate?

one great idea.. we just need a digital camera.. I can bring my printer.. it prints photo quality prints and has a plug in for a digital camera. It is a PSC HP.. will it work without my computer attached to it? It has a copy button that does not go through the computer.. but I don't know if it would work or not.. anyone else have a digital camera.. or printer that does not need a computer attached to it?

How fast can we put this together do you think?

6. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    1) Tell people to bring their own camera

2) I have a horrid digital camera I can bring but they will have to give me their email addy and I'll email it to them.

3) If we could with Bookmans and one of the radio stations perhaps we could do a donation drive during the meeting or in lieu of the meeting. Obviously this is more important as it could affect lives. ;)

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    that is a good idea. we could set up a booth for money and for non-perishables. I will give bookmans a call, and then after we get word from them I can send more emails out. I think both of these are great ideas and feel like we might could make them both work.

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I really do not think the media needed to post the video of the caskets that are now laying around.. it was enough that I knew it happened.. but it is just too much.. I hope they do not start showing video of bodies.

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    we could do both on monday.. the photos and the booth drive.. perfect for labor day if you ask me. I am calling bookmans now incidentally

10. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Okay, this is now official folks. SHOW UP IN COSTUME! MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    We will be posting details as we receive them. This is what we know at the moment. On Monday we will be foregoing the normal meeting in favor of the "two suns" Tucson FF conducting a Hurricane Katrina victim relief fund drive in conjunction with Bookman's and The Red Cross. We will meet at the original scheduled time of 12noon at Bookman's at Grant and Campbell, but by all means show up early if you can to help us set up containers and tables and the like. We will be using the stage area of Bookman's for this fund drive. We can stay as long as we like.. though I would say we wrap it up once the commotion (I do hope there will be much commotion) dies down. I am giving the time frame of noon to 4pm to the media.

As it stands so far I have sent emails and phone calls to three area TV stations.. also three of the most major radio stations. Plus contacted the Daily Star by email. I will have to wait till tomorrow for replies as I did not get all of this accomplished before 5pm.

Certainly this will be an opportunity for for all of us to see what we all have as far as costumes and props go.

As DLJ said we want people to show up in costume if you can.. so they know who we are.. of course certainly it is not necessary to participate.. if enough of us show up we should be able to do it in rotating shifts.. unless we have a big enough turn out to require all of us at once. We are hoping to be able to find a way to let people get their pictures taken with SW characters.. will keep posted as to what is up with that with Lown's.

I know we will need to hand out receipts for the donations if requested.. so be prepared for that, definitely we need to be ready to provide lunch for ourselves..I am considering asking for a donation from a restaurant if there are many of us.. otherwise perhaps sandwiches.. even if it is just peanut butter and jelly.

I will say this.. I am so hoping for a good turnout everyone.. if ever there was a reason to attend a meeting this is it.. and it will be considered an officially sactioned FF event. With any luck we might even make the front page of the website.

If you have any ideas at all on making this a success.. please post them. Time is of the essence.. if you have contacts at any of the tv, radio, or newspapers.. call them.. use them.. let's get the word out and do as much as we can for these Hurricane Victims.

12. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    One question.

We are not a non-profit organization so we will need to be able to see if Red Cross will provide receipts. OK, that wasn't a question.

But . . .

OK, I've also notified the PFF about this. Who knows, they may help. [face_praying]

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay.. yes.. Red Cross is providing us with receipt envelopes.. and new on board is Tucson Wellcare.. turns out the Red Cross only accepts monetary donations.. however Tucson Wellcare accepts certain non-perishable items.. I will be posting this list here asap.. for the TW receipts we are on our own.. but I can get a receipt book from walgreen's for that purpose.. there will be much to post here in the next few days.. we will need to be sure and have people earmark checks in memo area "katrina" and on non-perishables I will get black markers so we can mark them "katrina" as well... that way we know that the right victims are recieving what we are sending to them.

DialSwiftJustice is going to make us a banner that we can hang at Bookman's, which I am eternally grateful to him for. We are going to need people that have larger vehicles to help transport items to the pickup points.. which will be "sleep america" and if we get too much for sleep america to recieve.. then we will have to keep the items overnight in storage and then transport directly to wellcare on tuesday.. as they are closed on labor day. If it appears that online posting is not up to speed with what we need.. we can opt for a meeting at a home or restaurant for planning.

I think for the moment that is what is definite.. I would like to have a definite on who is going to be in attendance for this.. as it could (I HOPE AND PRAY) turn out to be very large endeavor. We will definitely need food and drink as I was saying.. I plan on asking IHOP if they will donate any meals at all for us to eat.. no idea on if they will or not.. Certainly we can make sandwiches and the like if need be.. just with so much else to do.. cooking is not going to be first and foremost on my mind.

Keep asking questions and I will do my very best to provide quickest and best answer possible.

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    yes.. I am rather hoping Phoenix is up for helping.. though by now they may be doing their own thing.. I did email their CR earlier today though. So with both of us.. perhaps a good reply will come.

15. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm going to call Jones Photo tomorrow to see if they can provide a digital camera.

What I can do (crosses fingers and prayers) is see if I can get a photobucket account for the TFF and then upload pictures and we can give out a card with the link.

goes to photobucket

OK I got the photobucket account set up.

[link=http://photobucket.com/albums/a322/TucsonFanForce/?sc=1]http://photobucket.com/albums/a322/TucsonFanForce/?sc=1[/link]

[hr]

[color=white][hl=red][b]RED CROSS IS ASKING FOR DONATIONS OF NEW UNDERWEAR AND SOCKS[/b][/hl][/color]

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    keep me posted.. if that does not work.. and anyone with any ideas... or if any of our members have a good digital camera, and/or a good photo quality printer that does not need to be connected to a computer.. I actually have the HP PSC 1610 which does have a print photos button.. I am wondering if anyone knows.. does this mean it does not have to have the computer connected to it.. it has a slot for a direct link-up to a digital camera.. so possibly we already have the printer capability for character photos and we just do not know it.

17. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I read the whole thread (I admit I've not gotten more than 3 hours sleep in the last two days and 10 hours work days) but I'm quite unclear as to what we will be doing and what we are asked to supply. I have no problem helping but I need to know what I need to bring and/or do.

18. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    This is from Worldcare.org forgive me.. earlier I called them wellcare.org.. this is the most recent list of non-perishables that are being accepted currently.. I will update as they do.

World Care sending supplies to Hurricane Katrina victims throughout the Southern Gulf States.

Through our partnership with Airline Ambassadors, American Airlines have been delivering items into the Houston area starting Wednesday August 31st. Donated commercial trucking companies and local businesses have donated their time and resources to help us distributed larger quantity of supplies. These shipments will start leaving Tuesday September 6th and continue...

Basic First Aid Adhesive Bandages (Assorted Sizes), Adhesive Cloth Tape, Antibiotic Ointment/creams, Antiseptic soap or Wipe Packets, Alcohol preps, Aspirin and Non-Aspirin, Non-Latex Sterile Gloves (Size Medium & Large), 3? Roller Bandage, Sterile Gauze Pads 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4, medical wound glue, liquid adhesive ("New Skin"), vitamins, diarrhea and stomach remedies

hygiene Supplies toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, comb, antibacterial soaps, waterless soaps, feminine products, baby diapers and wipes

Emergency Supplies blankets, work gloves, duct tape, packing tape

food water, MREs (meals ready to eat), tarps

also.. though not on this list.. the representative (Janet) that I spoke with said they are also taking pet carriers, leashes, and collars.. new or used is fine.

she also said for at least the next two weeks they will not be accepting clothing.. however.. if we receive clothing.. we will give out receipts and then turn into worldcare as soon as they begin accepting the clothing.

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Hal.. we ask only that you supply yourself as a supporter to be on hand..

the extra things that we need volunteers to help out with
    is to accept donations and write out receipts ..

make sure items all get Katrina written across them so the donations do not wind up in a warehouse instead of the Katrina victims..

we need willing hands and vehicles to help transport items to sleepamerica ongoing throughout the day on monday.. this is providing we get the items.. (say prayers everyone.. that we are DELUGED with people giving)

we need someone willing to run and get food, drink or other odds and ends if need be..

costumes worn if you have them..

digital camera if you have one..

photo quality printer for giving out photos to people if they get their pic taken with a
    star wars character..

speaking of.. someone to take photos of people with our people in costume.

electrical cords for printer ect.

any contact you might have in the media.. get them on board if you can

anyone brave enough to dress in costume and stand on the corner of Grant and Campbell to drum up donations

perhaps a few table cloths to make the table more presentable.. rather than just plain looking

dialswiftjustice is making a banner for us on his printer.. he may need assistance with that.. I am not sure

possibly if you do not have a costume.. at least wear a star wars t shirt.. if I had the time I would print up Tucson "two suns" FF t shirts.. but alas..

I will post more as I think of them.. keep asking questions

20. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I plan on asking Bookman's about the possibility of staging a mock lightsaber duel on the stage.. so that is a possibity as well

21. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I'll make a note to bring my plastic sabers ;)

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    great idea

23. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I have red and purple.

If I can, I'll pick up a blue and a green

24. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005

My father will let me borrow his digital camera with a small printer dock for instant pictures, it does not need a computer attatched to it and will not take up much space otherwise I have a 1980's polaroid.

25. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Heya, talking to my genius wife, she made the suggestion we contact Eegees and Bashas for food donations since they are locally owned and have been great supporters of other events. If you like I can try and contact them (I know Cathie has a lot on her plate).

I can provide power cords as well.

I have a truck and can bring another for transportation.

My wife and I are going to try and bust out a Jedi costume for me for the in time but I volunteered to wear the vader costume if it is donated, but I wanted to throw this out.....even if he says no to dontating it, why dont we just rent it anyway? It can't be that expensive for one day and Im sure we'd be able to work it out if everyone pitch in a dollar or two. If it's to expensive to rent the costume what about just trying to get pieces from him? I have a helmet, gloves, chest box and boots (all poor man's version, but still look good).

One more thing, my genuis wife suggested we ask him if he would be willing to TOTALLY donate the costume to us. We could wear it at the event then sell raffle tickets to win it.

I also have two FX sabers for the duel if you like (as long as we dont bang the crap out of them). My son and I duel pretty often and hes hit them harder than I would have and they've held up. I have Darth Vader and Mace Windu. Even if we don't use them I'd liek to bring them as a background display.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.