main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Gulf Coast trajedy

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    yes.. mara sent me email that she was working on our stormtrooper plight.. she sent me her phone number to stay in touch.. so that is one of the things I will do today.

Oh Mugen.. such a shame to have broken two of your FX sabers.. that is a lot of money.

Can't wait to see you in costume once again. Are you available this weekend if anyone needs your expertise for leather or what not?

so it looks like we have a few more definite members showing up.. I am assuming Mugen is going to be with us.. and DLJ you will have your mom and daughter.. umm.. dialswiftjustice.. is your wife planning on coming with your daughter? I am wanting to get as accurate a count as I can for our meal and drinks.. though still do not know what to do on that front.. calling a few places today.. eegee's and basha's and IHOP.. will let you know what we find out .. also going to talk to Krispy Kreme.

anyone heard from JM? I will have to call him.

in any case.. we are moving along well.. still much to do.. if you are up for something such as running around town and hunting down a few large boxes to collect donations.. that would be great.

2. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I want to be sure on monday we have a few phones that actually work inside Bookman's. (mine doesn't)

Reason being.. we want to be able to call up radio stations and hopefully get them to make periodic plugs for us.. update them on what we are up too.. if we are getting lots of donations let them know and they can broadcast that.. and then we will get more.. they can let people know what Star Wars character is available.. ect.. so we need cell phones that work.. I wish mine did.. but for some reason I walk through bookman's doors and my towers all fall.

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    In case we need to make sandwiches or something.. are there any foods anyone is allergic to.. or abhorent to? We are thankfully right next door to Wal-greens. So that is a good thing.

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    great to have your mom help with receipts.. one easy thing with the money.. the collection jugs are small.. so should be easy to guard.. and this is important.. we are going to need to rotate turns and guard the jug and the box/es lest some soul think they are a Katrina victim and run with the donations. After I take a nap I will repost the long long list of things that we need volunteers to do. Certainly, some of the items will be easier to assign once we are at Bookman's. I am going to hit the dollar store tomorrow to pick up an extra receipt book.. we already have envelopes from Red Cross.. which they said btw if someone donates with a check we must have them put Red Cross on it.. and in the memo area.. write in Hurricane Katrina Relief. also.. if they donate by check.. they do not have to have a receipt.. as Red Cross will mail them one using the address on the check. We do not have to give receipts to everyone.. only the large donations.. and also of course anyone that asks for one.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    important thing.. I need at least two people to volunteer to show up at Bookman's by 11am to set up tables and everything.. perhaps even as early as 10am.. in case we run into emergency things that we need taken care of.. I would prefer three volunteers.. I already have myself and my fiance.. so I need three more.. We could always meet for breakfast somewhere and divide up duties so that we don't get bogged down.. if we can do all of this planning online.. by all means.. but if we need to hook up earlier.. then we do that on sat.or sun.. or early monday.

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay.. I am napping for about three hours right now. Been going since yesterday at 10:30am.. and I have promised to not overdo and stay well for monday.. so sleep has to happen even if I don't want to. If anyone btw has any food thoughts (for feeding us)on getting meals.. by all means.. go for it.

7. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I think I can safely say I'll be at Bookman's by 11am.

8. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    the Bookmans on Grant and Campbell at 11am? I'll be there. Also, I have a pretty thick reciept book I could bring. I can assist with belts, or lightsabers, or various other costuming needs on Saturday afternoon..and Sunday afternoon. Please note: The leather factory is not open on Sunday...so if you need to get stuff, today or tomorrow would be the day to pick up what you need..I would do it but I am gonna be buisy all day till 6pm, and tomorrow morning..
    the place is off Palo Verde, and Irvington..down 44th street on the N side of the street. If anyone wnts to make a belt..get the dye you want to tint the belt, 1" buckles, a 3"wide 30-54" long strap of leather, and some mid high rivets...in case anyone wants to make a Jedi belt...Cat has my # so cantact her for it..or p/m me for it..

9. Jamesmorbidia

Jamesmorbidia Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    Oh my I'm alive!! Ok...collecting my thoughts....
    Alright! Sadly I have to work on Monday. Seems labor day is a big pizza selling day. A day to end two weeks of 9 cent aniversary hell!! Sorry tangent and Im so tired.
    Now if someone wants to make a drive to my store on valencia I will supply Pizza. Other than that im sadly going to be indisposed from 9am till about 8pm :_|

10. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Aw, frell James. :_|

OK, if anyone needs my number, PM me. ;)

11. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Allright! this is coming together nicely! Im excited. And VADER WILL BERE THERE! My costume is almost done, my wife and I are sewing furiously. I can be anywhere you need Cathie anytime, but I need time to get into costume. It will not be 100% accurate somce I don't have time to get anything ordered and here, and the cotumes in town are disgusting (no offense ot the Lowns people but theirs was hideously home made).

Just call me Cathie and I can be anywhere you need, need a folding table? I have a good size one. Also Im bringing the camera, ink and paper, the costume, the banner, some large size print outs for posters or whatever we need, and my wife offered to make us all sandwiches if we cant ge a sponsor, she is used to it and makes some for my squad everry week.
    Here is what I am having trouble with right now....I need something for Vaders shin gaurds and belt boxes anyone make any recommendations?

12. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    OK, later I'm going to go through the thread and "highlight" all the important "facts"

13. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    I made some black leather shin gaurds with buckles so you may use them..they should work.

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    hurrah to JM for donating Pizza to our cause. We will not starve!! Bookman's mentioned there being coffee and water available to us and of course we can run next door to walgreen's if someone prefers soda or juice. I would volunteer some soda's.. but money is more than tight this month.. I think I might can manage some kool-aid if anyone is interested :) We will just wait till Monday and whoever is not busy when the time comes to run for the Pizza.. we will shall send.. Papa John's is on Valencia, so it will take a few minutes to run get the food. I left a message with Chris at Krispy Kreme to see if we can get a few donuts as well.. I actually asked if they were willing to set up donuts for the general public.. though probably not enough time for them to do that. I will keep everyone posted on the food front.

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    DSJ is doing an awesome job of putting together our banners for hanging at Bookman's. (Not to be confused with the banner we keep speaking of for our forum... that eventually we will get around to designing)

We will have to set up tables, put up banners, and set up boxes on Monday at 11am. Any other things we have to set up that you can think of.

We do still have the community room from noon-2pm for anyone that has to change their clothes.. the door has a dark cover on it.. so no one can see in.

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay.. important question.. can anyone donate any small funds...perhaps three to five dollars a piece to help the 501 DSG get here to support us.. Mara has informed me she has at least three members coming.. and possibly more.. they are going to carpool to save on funds.. and she has said that she will write it off as a charitable donation.. but let's face it..gas is expensive right now... and it's a 140 mile round trip for them.. that is anywhere between sixty - one hundred dollars or more for gas.. I know we can't pay off of it.. but I would love it if we could give them a little bit of money for gas.. I'm going to squeeze ten bucks in change out of my change jar.

THIS IS NOT A HAVE TOO.. I am just asking in case you can.

either way it is official we shall have the 501 DSG with us on Monday.

17. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm not "well off" right now but I'll do what I can on Monday.

I will also TRY to get in early to help with the set up.

I'm going to try to get to a pet store so I can get some litter and cans of food for the pets.

18. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004

[face_dancing]YES! YES! YES! [face_dancing]

Ok, this is what I want to suggest. That if people want to have their picture taken with a trooper they donate a dollar. And we donate 10 cents of every dollar to the trooper's gas tank.

If that isn't acceptable, I have $10 I'll donate.

To help the victims of the Hurricane I will not be coloring my hair this month or buying any Starbucks this month. That's about $35 right there.

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Unfortuanately.. in order to get the Red Cross to sponsor us we had to promise 100% of the monetary donations to them.. so that is a no go.. but a great idea none the less.

remember everyone.. the donation for the DSG is not a have too.... they did not ask for the money.. I just want to thank them in some way for coming so far.

20. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay.. Hal.. we can certainly use your help on setting up tables and boxes and chairs. I think mainly we will all be taking turns watching and guarding money jugs (2 of them) and the box(es) that hold donation items. I don't know if you want a t-shirt.. however.. if anyone is not dressing up and does not own a star wars t-shirt.. DSJ has said he might be able to whip up some iron on transfers for a plain t-shirt you might already have in your closet.

the other things we still need extra people for is helping write receipts and making sure all items get Katrina written across them somewhere.. preferably bottom of packages.. so the items get to their proper destination with WorldCare

DSJ is going to train any of us willing on how to use the digital camera and printer for taking photos of the people that wish to have a Star Wars character photo

if we have much to transport..helping carry items to the truck and transporting and unloading will be much needed as well.

and of course.. any contact you have with anyone in the media get them on board if you can... as I said I have heard from the tv stations.. and several radio stations.. no solid commitments though.. which is normal.. I am not so much expecting them to show up as just give us some media on air... but showing up is even better.

For now.. unless anyone thinks of anything.. that covers it..I am sure someone will think of something though.

21. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    The daily star gave us this blurb in their tucsonians help Katrina Victims line up this morning..

?? The Tucson Star Wars Fan Club will be wearing Star Wars costumes at Bookman's, 1930 E. Grant Road, as members accept donations for the Red Cross and World Care from noon to 4 p.m. Monday.

I have just sent them info that the DSG will be joining us.. do not know if we will get any more blurbs or not.. she said we might.

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    DLJ oh my.. okay... I will do it as well.. I was just thinking of the fact that I desperately needed to get those roots out of my hair.. but I will forego it. Harsh !!!

speaking of hair.. I have decided to only wear my Shaak Ti clothing.. I love my headpiece.. but it is cumbersome.. and difficult to bend over.. sit.. turn my head.. most anything that requires movement horns and tentacles make difficult.

remind me to iron tunics.. or I will forget!!!

23. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    this is part of another AP report.. I was just embarrassed because Arizona has not stepped forward to say.. hey us too!!

Elsewhere, officials from as far away as Utah, West Virginia, Wyoming and Michigan said they would also accept refugees. Elected leaders were considering various places to house them, including military barracks and an empty shopping mall.

24. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Awesome! Tnanks for your hard work Cathie! Especially with the Dne Sea Garrison! Tell them I will donate an entire tank of gas for the trip back if they come! On the condition they don't make fun of my not-quite 100% film accurate Vader costume [face_praying] Or what do you guys think should I even bother since they are coming down?

I have one small 3 foot banner to hang ont he table done and one on foaw board to hang where ever, I can easilt get some zip ties from work if we need to hang it on a pole.

I can provide drinks as well Cathie, so no need to burden yourself with another detail.
    Any what to find out if Bookmans will let us intot he community room any sooner? I dont' want to have a mad rush to set up and dress up.

Frankie, hey thank reference those shin gaurds can you bring them to the event or are you going to be wearing them?

25. Jamesmorbidia

Jamesmorbidia Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    Ok when someone comes and gets pizza I'll give em some cash for the traveling storm troopers. Grab some Ice too and I'll throw in a few 2Ltr of coke for lunch too. I hopefully will get out of work around 4ish. Someones got to keep me updated and whatnot. Maybe we can all go out for coffee afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.