main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Gulf Coast trajedy

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    My son will flying knee drop me out of sleep like he always does around 6am so call whenever! Ill load up as fast as I can.

If the DSG can't come back down later, thats cool and undertandable consdering gas prices, but I should have my vader donw in a few days.

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I am glad that now I know why she did not call me back yet.. she said she would call when she knew the answer.. obviously no need to call when they are not there yet, would have been a wasted call.. I will still go in the morning and check into when they might arrive.

I am headed to bed right now for six hours.. I'll call around 7ish

3. Jamesmorbidia

Jamesmorbidia Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    So what happened? I got no phone calls :_| I sent my brother to help out but he didn't even give me any updates. No call for Pizza...Dont you love me anymore? [face_worried]

4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    cathie called you and got put on hold twice, James :p

OK, I just saw a wee blurb on KGUN that we made [face_dancing]

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    What an amazing success everyone!! I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.. this was such an exceptionally grand turnout... and to think we made over seven hundred fifty dollars in cash.. and easily over three hundred in worldcare items.. which means we broke one thousand dollars.. and in only three hours.. since we got a bit of a late start with the issues we had with start up. I will say if you are registered on the DSG please send them some thank yous. They made today the success it was. I know we in the "two suns" did plenty with our planning and securing of everything.. but without the DSG it is a guarantee the success would not have been as great. I can not wait to head for Phoenix and join up with them and help out with one of their events. It is something that I will look forward too.. and hopefully we can all go together when it comes up.

I am not going to go into detail here to each of you.. but each one of you did so many wonderful and special things today that made our first official "two suns" fundraiser a grand success.. I am so proud to be a part of this group.. I can only say I hope to have many more grand celebrations with all of you.. and hopefully next time more of our members can be in attendance as well.

6. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Well, needless to say it was an awesome fundraiser, and we definetly owe the DSG a big one for it, they really made it awesome, and THANK YOU GUYS, for lettingme wear some armor! That was an unforgettable experience and I am sold on armor of some kind, I need it! After we get into our new house, I am so getting a set.

I am trying to upload some of my pics into Photobucket right now, Jada can provide the link, but if anyone wants any they see we have a ton since most of the pics came from mine and my mothers pictures, we are going to my mothers house for a slide show presentation to see what she has. I can creat disks for anyone.

Cathie if you give me the DVD/VHS of the news footage I can have DVDs of it all made up for everyone by the lext meeting, and not just one of two segments, i want all of what you have!

Thanks Jake, and Damian for the really heavy lifting, and all your help, without it it probalby wouldnt have happened.

7. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    Glad to hear all went well. Sorry I couldn't make it. I was up until about 2am that morning doing homework (so I could go without the guilt of not doing my homework), and I slept until about 2:30[face_blush]. Again, I am so sorry for not showing.

8. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
  9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    these photos are great.. I can't wait to see more!!

DSJ I know you are putting together a thank you for Bookman's. I drafted a letter to Albertson's, and the party store, and IHOP for their donations of water, cups, ice and balloons. I will mail those out tomorrow.

The Red Cross has given our information to Mayor Walkup's wife.. she is going to be in charge of entertaining the children at TCC.. we should hear from them in a couple of weeks about what we can do for them.

I am going to make a thread for a follow-up sept meeting.. we will see how we can arrange one.

10. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I just PMed you about that :p

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I just pm'd you back about that :) I will be calling all members whose numbers I have tomorrow to see what of the available time slots are good for everyone.. I know we will try to appease us all.. but if any of us get left out.. we will make sure you are informed about what took place at the meeting..

the grand tally incidentally.. was $752.54 and several hundred in supplies.. so we broke one thousand!! Which is awesome for our first "Two Suns" fundraiser!! We have proved you do not need a huge FF to make a difference.. just a huge heart!!

12. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    And this folks is the reason we sweated our buns off:

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/TucsonFanForce/LaborDayFundraiser2005/Imag14a.jpg]

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    our top buns and our bottom buns!!

14. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003

I know this is really not my place to say this but I?m going to say it anyway.
    Just wanted to say how humbled and proud I was about yesterday?s turnout. I saw a bunch of people that really put the time, effort, money, and love into helping others.
    Between ?two suns? (this includes Dustin?s mother), DSG, and the people that gave I was quite touched. I?m hoping that we can do it again, and was honored to do my small part in it.

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Hal, you are a gem and I am honored to have you with us, you are an asset to our group.. you did at least ten things that saved the day at the last minute for us.. not to mention bringing me the FX saber.... which I can not believe Vader's army confiscated from me!!

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I want to say.. I am all about getting together a costume making party. or finding a day every so often we can get together to cut patterns and the like.. I am so for working on my shaak ti costume and getting Jake into some armor so we can storm the city and do more charitable contributing to our community and world!!! I figure I can hold off on my own armor with the price of it... Jake and I are talking about getting some molding clay to start working on a more "spot on" (to use mark's term) headpiece for shaak ti.. and then wondering about plastics.. we are so psyched at this point..

speaking of costumes... apparently the young man that rents our spare bedroom took a phone call from Lown's on Friday and never gave me the message.. the message being they wanted to participate... Lown's called me today and I let them know by all means next time we would take them up on it.. I figure we can use something they have to offer us. I am extremely upset with my young tenant.. he and his girlfriend kind of irked me on this fundraiser.. but that is not for FF discussion.. but my apologies for the messup with lown's on my behalf.

17. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Speaking of costumes, after seeing what affect the DSG can have getting peoples attention, I'm thinking about really making a costume. Now, here is the question, I'm 5 feet tall... what could I be in that case (Jedi is a given)?

18. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    well.. this depends on how major you want to get.. you could go with a regular jedi.. or become one from an alien race.. Kit Fisto comes to mind... though if I thought shaak ti would be hard..I can only imagine what kit would be to create..you have perfect hair for a human jedi though. I think if our jedi costumes were accurate enough we could be just as thrilling to behold.. what makes the 501st so awesome is the accuracy.. look at the rebel legion.. they look pretty awesome as well.

funny.. this thread has brought so much to me... I hate to set up new threads.. but I will set up a costume thread.. so we can have a place to discuss our thoughts and ideas for our costumes.

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I have to tell ya though.. I just don't want this thread to die.. so let's keep it going with plans and ideas and thoughts.

20. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't know how to do this, but maybe this thread should be all about Community Outreach, not specific for this past weekend's events.

21. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I don't know how many of you caught this but I happened to look at one of the items donated. It was a box full of women's underwear. Each bag was a 3 pack and there must have been about 30 packages of them. I was so touched by it. So, I have made them picture to pay tribute and point out the box within the donation box.

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/TucsonFanForce/LaborDayFundraiser2005/undies.jpg]

:D [face_flag]

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    that was an elderly couple that pulled up outside to us and asked if we would be so kind as to take their donation inside so they would not have to get out of their car.. they bought out all of big lots women's underwear and a whole case of green t shirts as well.. they said when they told big lots what it was for that big lots gave them a discount.. which I thought was wonderful. Very generous people we had on Monday!!

23. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Well, I just completed a 12 hour security shift and th TCC, an dot was an overnight, 6pm to 6am, let em tell ou it was ghost town. There are only approximatly 30 survivors there right now. Talking tot he MMRS and Red Cross personnel, they are alreasdy talking sclaing back the efforts. They no longer need donations (the TCC was so full every sally port was stuffed, not including whatw as already sorted ont he main floor). I asked about entertainment, but the staff said they are not there long enough. The are there for abut a night at most ebfore geting moved itno housing or apartments, so it just wouldn't be feasable. Oh well, it's probably for the best since we don't have any armor int he club yet!

24. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    OK, well that just answered one of my questions about whether they need some videos donated. ;)

25. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    just keep us posted in case the need changes.. most of the people I had heard are spending the night and then wanting to get out in the town.. however.. people do not think that WorldCare or Red Cross does not still need donations.. this is just TCC that is overstocked.. not the United States other Hurricane Katrina Victims.. just appears that apparantly we will not be getting as many evaccuees as told.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.