main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'd like to ask Mr LaPierre one question: given that he has been known to label federal agents as "jack-booted thugs", who exactly are these "good peoople" he wants to arm and post in schools?

Ender_Sai: I'm trying to get me one of those black and white checkered scarves, but amazon doesn't carry them.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not sure what your agenda is, but I love freedom! [face_flag] and the only free place on Earth is a fully armed and operational Death Star USA

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Well, given that he's went from spokesperson for the NRA to being a mouthpiece for gun manufactuerers I wouldn't expect a straight answer from him even if you got a chance to ask that question. There is no level of cognitive dissonance that's too much for him because he a) doesn't live in reality any longer and b) is paid way too much to give an open and honest answer. So you're better off just imagining the mental contortions he would take in response to that.

Juliet316 and V-2 like this.
  4. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Of course, Kelly is a retired Navy Captain, and the son of two police officers, so in LaPierre's book, that probably makes him a jack-booted thug, too.

5. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Did someone mention arms dealers?

Language Warning

darthhelinith likes this.
  6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    What's the difference?

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    One kind of used to speak for its membership, the other just urinates all over them in favor of the cash prizes.

8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Not that long ago, the NRA advocated gun control laws. It's only the past few decades that they've become nothing more than a lobbying mouthpiece for the gun manufacturers.

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah, the infamous convention of '77, I believe, is what changed them. The hunters and naturalists lost that fight and the political types took over and then the chaos begins. I posted about it before.

http://www.vpc.org/nrainfo/chapter2.html]Linky[/url]

It's all there. I wish there were a documentary on that thing. It sounded vicious.

NPR also has a pretty interesting article: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/01/31/170700177/should-gun-owners-have-to-buy-liability-insurance]Should[/url] gun owners have to buy liability insurance

I think that time has long since arrived. Of course they should have to buy it.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    And, gun people, THIS is where you can make the comparison with cars.

Car insurance is required to legally be on the road, the minimum to prevent you ruining someone's life and utterly screwing them financially, as well as the other ways.

And before someone brings this up, yeah, there are plenty of uninsured drivers on the roads. But if you get caught by the police, you tend to get ... butt****ed in court.

11. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    Do you really think that gun owners all one step away from crazy? I am genuinely interested if you really think this or are you just being sarcastic.

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Well, given the current discussions I've had with gun rights supporters elsewhere and seeing the NRA's latest riffs or a recent shooting...yeah, actually. And the debate here. as well. You have some evidence that the people that represent your side of the issue aren't one slice of bread short of a whole loaf?

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i dunno dawg it sounds like they just democratized an organization that had previously been neutered by undemocratic practices and complacent leadership who didnt reflect the demands of membership

like, either the nra is a "mouthpiece for the gun manufacturers" or gunowners in america are a bunch of flighty idiots. your article supports the second thing, not the first

V-2 likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Looks like I was wrong. Even they can't be dumb enough to touch that one. I recall Limbaugh made fun of Michael J. Fox over his shaking, I thought maybe he might try one on Gifford.

Jedi Merkurian and V-2 like this.
  16. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't think all responsible gun owners are all one step away from crazy, but I do think some people are gun owners because they are slightly crazy.

Some people are paranoid and prone to fantasies and fantastical thinking. Some harbour resentment, bear personal grudges, have limited social contacts and have some funny scary theories about the world... It seems that some gun owners are more prone to communal reinforcement than others (judging from the volume of identical arguments and blasé comments from the gun lobbies in recent months).

I'd confidently assume that those arming themselves against potential US government tyranny are the sort of people who'd be prone to serious craziness. Those prone to belief in paranoid conspiracy theory would probably be prone to all sorts of other craziness. If you read what the militant Islamists say, you'll notice a lot of the same Elders Of Zion crap as David Icke and Alex Jones' followers like to harp on about.

Personally I think that if you want a gun for self defence, that alone makes you somewhat crazy. Not a popular view round here, I know. ;)

17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I had a Jamaican neighbor once who had a gun on de fence. It was mounted to keep intruders out of de yard.

18. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, it wasn't Limbaugh, but someone tried: Here

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I don't know, even the so-called rational gun owners get wrapped up in their good-guy-ism to the point where their arguments sound unhinged.

V-2 likes this.
  22. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    what do the anti gun nuts want as their course of action for lower gun deaths..

you hear nothing but complaints from you people yet you have no suggestions.. Blanket gun ban, not happening. never will happen either. So come up with an idea.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Seriously, have you even read through this thread?

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Juliet, don't feed the troll pls.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Have you been paying attention at all?

No one is seriously pushing for a gun ban.

How about: universal background checks, stronger mental health checks, gun registration database, etc.