main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    are you implying that sissy spacek is ugly?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    And Chloe Grace Moretz starred in the remake.

Hollywood films tell us that as long as you're slightly socially awkward, you will be relentlessly tortured in high school.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    One of my co-workers is a grad of that school and he was visibly affected today.

Marysville is only about 20-30 minutes north of where I live, so I've caught some of the local coverage (watch the news, you get the news). So far reported:

The shooter was "fine" yesterday until he got into a fight (some reports of racist bullying against him: apparently he's a member of the Tulalip tribe, this per the radio on my drive home. The chairman of the tribe was one of the folks who spoke at a news briefing). He was popular and elected freshman Homecoming Prince last week.

Of the four students shot, one was shot in the jaw and three in the head and are in very serious condition and supposedly all were his friends.

The ATF confirmed the gun was legally acquired but so far is releasing no other information on the weapon.

Tonight the football team was supposed to be in a playoff game - of course the game was cancelled. The other team offered to take "second place."

4. wall of sick

Sep 9, 2014
    i didn't even know they remade that movie. somebody please nuke us from orbit.

Juliet316 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

u forgot polend angela bettis

well, if they wanted to be more accurate they would have to use really ugly actors in lead roles where the main character is being bullied but they're obviously not going to do that

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

they remade it at least twice, actually

7. wall of sick

Sep 9, 2014
    i probably blocked it out.

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    50 school shootings this year.

[face_flag] What a spiffy, marvelous country full of wonderful, lovely people you have. [face_flag]

10. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Sad, but true. Personally, I would ship myself in a crate overseas if not for the seasonal hurricanes, which would likely send me right back.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  12. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Figures. That is why I do not like to read up on any news pertaining to daily events of any kind... so damn depressing... and the logic behind it was to give students the opportunity to pose with whatever symbolizes their hobby. By this logic, we will soon see a student strike a pose alongside the dynamite associated with blast fishing. After all, 'tis just a hobby. :rolleyes:

13. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    E_S, this is actually an example that isn't so bad. Guns aren't allowed in schools, so it's not like students will be walking around with a shotgun on picture day. The policy allows for students who have pictures taken with guns in them to be included in the yearbook. It's part of a broader policy that allows students to provide pictures which highlight an interest or activity. Like these:

[​IMG]

Obviously, these girls are engaged in shooting sports, which is really no different than posing in full football gear, or such. The issue was if students had pictures with guns in them, would it violate policy, and the school board said that it would be ok. But it's just not students standing around with guns for no reason imitating a scene from Scarface for the yearbook.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    But we're worried about the three people who got Ebola!

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    We have a lot of special snowflakes:

http://www.wral.com/disputed-oklahoma-ten-commandments-statue-smashed/14111673/

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    he also threatened to kill the president lol

what a big day he had

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It is that bad. I have shooting photos (apparently my former school is now re-entering large bore contests, which begs the question of what happens to the 20m indoor range we had...)

http://newsletter.newington.nsw.edu...50-Years-of-Sport_Brochure_low-resolution.pdf

You can see there photos of the team posing with their new large bores (plus some of the older rimfire rifles, though not the ones we used).

None of them are the final form photos and if you wanted your Yr12 portrait to be in rugby, cricket, or shooting get up you would be roundly mocked.

And yes, my year was a premiership year. :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I mean sport is sport. I think it's actually kind of refreshing that a school district isn't adopting a one size all/zero tolerance approach. I'm just saying if someone wants to submit a picture in their full football padding, or fencing uniform, or in full chessboard concentration for chess club, then precision rifle team shouldn't be any different. Probably 99.9% of such photos go in the activities section.

While the article doesn't indicate that the policy differentiates, I imagine that students would still have their formal yearbook picture as well. If someone isn't on the shooting team, and they just submit a imagine of them hugging an AK47 like it's a warm puppy just because, then yes, they would get roundly mocked as well.

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I grew up around guns. Hunting goes back 5 generations on my dad's side. I'm pro second amendment. However, there is a difference between those other things and guns. Guns are weapons. I'm not saying those yearbook kids don't respect that and aren't safe. But too many people of all ages are too cavalier about and with guns in our culture.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Shane's last sentence is precisely my point and concern.

21. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Yep, which is why "gun owner" control is a more apt description of what needs to happen in the US.

22. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    ES, Shane, Well, honestly, that's why they have restrictions for the policy. From the article, I recall that some of the restrictions are that the gun can't be pointing at the camera, or causing distress, etc.. And as the article mentioned, students can't bring non-school guns on school property, so the only place the pictures can come from are from external areas. I just think there is room to be mature here. Surely, people can handle the difference between being part of a rifle league vs screwing around with a gun. If all images of a gun were banned, then the prior example E_S submitted regarding his own school's league would be prohibited under a blanket prohibition. That doesn't really make sense, especially since the students would have access to the actual school sponsored target rifles themselves, they just couldn't take of picture of themselves with the rifle.

Let's review these images:
    [​IMG]

There is nothing particularly scary or cavaliar about them, and if those girls wanted to submit them to the activities section of a yearbook, I don't think there should be a problem. At some point there very well may be some student who wants to push the envelope and be the one idiot who poses with a rifle in their senior picture just because they can. Their image still couldn't violate the above policy, and they couldn't bring the gun to the school or take the picture at the school, so it would probably just amount to an awkward picture.

23. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    Man, I'm glad most of the country disagrees with that, considering basically only a few states have gone asinine and enacted gun control laws. Even with executive action, and a support of one house of congress and they still couldn't muster enough support. Gun ownership will always be apart of America until the country ceases to exist. I hope the next candidate for US Prez for the Democratic Party makes gun control a top pillar of their platform, because that's a winning strategy. Btw, certain caliber ammo is still being sold out daily in most stores. There's usually a line of people waiting to purchase ammo, and it's been what 2 years since the Peace Prize Prez threatened to act.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Thanks, Reagan.

25. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    Reagan wasn't so bad, hell he got Ollie North eventually hired by Fox News so that's win-win!