main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Does this include protecting against home invasion?

2. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    I feel like you're stuck in a loop. It would make total, and perfect sense that "CountryA" that has many, many guns would have gun crime, while "CountryB" that has guns, but restrictive laws would have less than "CountryA", and "CountryC" that has no guns, and restrictive gun laws would have less gun crime. Less guns = less gun crime? Or does it.. ?

Except as KK noted, America has increased gun ownership by quite a bit, and gun violence continues to decrease. Gun ownership increases, gun crime decreases. Out of 316 million people (upwards of 380 million firearms), 32K have died from gun violence, and most of those are suicides. How is it that you come to the conclusion that we're a violent, bloodthirsty culture?

In our neighbor to the south, Mexico, estimated to have only a fraction of the guns (15 Million), the death by firearm total was 11K. And the gun laws are far more restrictive than they are here.

A further example, Australia, estimated to have only 3 million guns, 188 total gun deaths (25 homicide, 135 suicides). Interestingly, as I cited above suicides via gun far outnumber homicides here in the States. It seems the same is true for Oz. So is the issue really law abiding gun owners, or does mental health need to be investigated a bit more? Either way gun violence is down, and continues to be down. I'm not sure who you have in mind when thinking of gun owners, and later perpetators of gun violence (Tea Party types, you know), it seems like there's a proclivity to link guns with phallic worshipping rednecks, but even that's factually incorrect:

• Although blacks experienced a decline similar to whites and American Indians and Alaska Natives, the rate of firearm homicide for blacks was 5 to 6 times higher than every other racial group in 2010.
    and.... for those "assault" type weapons...
    • Handguns accounted for the majority of both homicide and nonfatal firearm violence

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well we didn't have the mistake of making guns a right. Most of the weapons will simply be bolt-action rimfire rifles, though that's not to suggest there's no centre-fire cartridges out there. We don't have allowances for pump shotguns; handguns are hugely restricted by way of the Class A safe housing requirements... the issue is you guys. Not guns. Americans are not fit to own guns.

Diggy likes this.
  4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Firstly I include suicides as gun violence. Secondly I think you go against your own point:

Australia, 3 million guns, 188 deaths
    United States, 380 million guns, 32,000 deaths

Less guns means less gun-related deaths, suicide or otherwise. Likewise you know full well that the problems in Mexico are not comparable to the United States due to economic and government factors.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    A 5 year old shot a sleeping baby in the US. Mother didn't know there was a gun in the house. Father said, "boys will be boys."

Tommy Jefferson, that golden-tongued scum****, would have been happy as a pig in poo knowing this was the consequence of that amendment.

Such brave. So freedom Wow.

[face_flag] [face_flag] [face_flag] [face_flag] [face_flag] [face_flag] [face_flag]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's funny that a gun nut would bring up Mexico given that the cartels would not be able to fight without the weapons they got from the United States (either second-hand military equipment or literally going across the border and buying them).

Jedi Merkurian , Ender Sai and Gamiel like this.
  7. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

If the sleeping baby had a gun this wouldn't have happened

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Quite right sir; I stand corrected.

9. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    That's simply incorrect, infactual, and solely an opinion shared by many outside the U.S., and few within the U.S. Collectively, we've done a pretty bang up job controlling our firearms, and given that many out there have arsenals, you're not seeing gun violence rise, mass shootings by "gun nuts", or a mass epidemic of gun resulted deaths. It's just not there. Personally, I'm glad it's a right, one I believe to be essential. But I would agree with what someone said previously ITT, that privately owned arms would do **** against a tyrannical government, which is why I'd support expanding types of weapons citizens are allowed to own. All of these incidents that are cited, highlight a gun owner neglecting the safety factor of ownership, which should be the number one priority of all gun owners.

Anecdotal: a gun is brandished at a party. I leave. Stupid decision to 1) be so irresponsible; 2) let anyone know you're carrying. Why even do something so stupid? Should my right to own, shoot, and collect guns because there's dumb ***** out there? It's like an obsession with some utopian vision of the future were death is preventable, war is obsolete, aggression is controlled, and everyone is subdued into a false sense of security. No thanks.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Define "we."

If it's the predictable response, "responsible gun owners," I invite you to take a poll of every gun owner in this grand old land. I guarantee you that every one of them would call themselves "responsible."

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Having purchased his own man-portable air-defense system, deathraygun wept, for there were no small arms left for him to own.

Ender Sai and heels1785 like this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I must have imagined school shootings. My apologies.

Bang up job, quite.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ender Sai you are arguing with someone named deathraygun, what do you expect?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's a natural right and we're doing super well at curbing gun deaths! [face_flag]

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Add more guns, see less deaths.

Infinite guns, Immortality!

Jedi Merkurian and Ender Sai like this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It is the PAY-TREE-OTIC dootie of all Muricans to own gurns, as the lawd Jayzus intended. The mo-wa you hayve, the lawnger y'all will leev.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That was painful once, Ender, no need to say it twice. And you're lucky I don't have a gun and have you within 50 feet.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes thankfully our boards are excellent and not terrible and repetitive.

You're lucky I don't shoot you first because it's my RIGHT GODDAMMIT

20. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    I'm going to recommend you watch American Sniper so you can work on that country slang you're so fond of.. That'll fit right in with your generalizations. All the things you seen to be fascinated with... America, guns, the South, God... There's even some rodeo if that tickles your fancy.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You're trying to infer there's one film which highlights these shortcomings? o_O

I made the mistake of sitting through that jingoistic chest thump with real life SEALs in it. No shame.

22. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Bradley cooper uses a Texas accent in the movie. That doesn't cover every "country" accent.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    When it comes close to Gen Kill, I'll be impressed.

24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    sam kriss on american sniper

highlights are hard to choose cuz its all so good, but here's the first bit:

25. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Read that when you posted on facebook. Entirely accurate.

Rogue_Ten likes this.