main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Of course, the problem is that no one actually trains with their firearm, for whatever their reason is to have one. For as huge a responsibility that gun ownership is, if one chooses to keep one for protection, then that's the role it should have. If a thief is stealing your television, then great, you can always get another one. The point of having a gun is to use it to protect your own life. So, if you're in your bedroom with your gun, and the bad guy leaves you alone, everyone wins. That's your safe zone, you control it and can stay there and call the police. Hopefully, that gun owner has practiced so that they can manipulate the safety if the gun has one. Or practiced holding a flashlight and pistol at the same time. Because a light is just as important. Or thought about the possible consequences beforehand. Or researched the fact that you can't just blindly shoot through a door because there is a scary sound.

The problem comes into play when the half asleep homeowner/gun owner stumbles around in a daze in the dark to go "confront" the thief, and ends up shooting their daughter who was trying to sneak back in after coming home late. Just keep your gun in a safe with a flashlight, and there is no immediate need to grab it and go charging off into the night. In fact, the extra action of putting in a code to open a safe may give the second or two for some concentration and focus.

3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    To be fair, a shadow is black.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  5. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    She's not eligible. From the article:
    As she has two sons, she is still in the gene pool, and therefore not eligible for a Darwin Award.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

The existence of offspring, though potentially deleterious to the gene pool, does not disqualify a nominee. Children inherit only half of each parent's genetic material and thus have their own chance to survive or snuff themselves. If, for instance, the offspring has inherited the "Play With Combustibles" gene, but also has inherited the "Use Caution When..." gene, then she is a potential innovator and asset to the human race. Therefore, each nominee is judged based on whether or not she has removed her own genes, without consideration to the number of offspring or, in the case of an elderly winner, the likelihood of producing more offspring.
    http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/rules1.html

The lesson we can take from this is, do not wear a loaded weapon pointed at your face/head.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Darwin Awards: still promoting social Darwinism, because people deserve death or sterilization for stupid mistakes.

Gamiel and soitscometothis like this.
  8. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Double post

9. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Ha! What a boob!

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Funny that no country considers guns a human rights - apparently they have no liberty.

12. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    Yeah, I suppose one could make that argument. What the Founders started was, and still is for the most part pretty unique. I suppose the illegal immigration problem we're having is probably because people are clamouring for less freedom, right? And gun ownership as a human right? Sure, to protect ones' self, family, property and assets - sounds good to me.

13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Immigration could also be based on the fact that you're a wealthy country and that they are coming from a poor one.

I agree that wanting more freedom may also be a reason for wanting to move to the US but I suspect that some of those illegals are also coming from a country that also has a high proportion of guns within it's border (I'm look at you Mexico)

I have a feeling the wealthy, "American Dream" land of opportunity type stuff has more of a sway over the chances to own their very own gun

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

So, everyone has less rights than you do?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That's not true. There's one legal gun store in Mexico-- it's in the capital and run by the federal government. Mexico has 15 guns per capita (same as Australia and below countries such as Germany) compared to the U.S.'s 90. Most of Mexico's gun violence can be attributed to cartels, law enforcement, and the military. Parts of the country have been effectively in a low-level civil war since 2006 which has inflated the murder rate. And a large proportion of the guns in cartel hands were legally purchased in the United States.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    I think that was truer at the beginning of the country, comparable to like societies at the time. Obviously liberties have been added, and some more limited (hello, Patriot Act). But I think we're still pretty free, or as you put it we have a pretty good system for personal rights. Sometimes I put my tinfoil hat firmly on my head and think the debate about gun control is a distraction when should be talking about the massive elimination of protected private information, which is where the real control and power lies. Information is the real weapon that needs regulation and protection. Gun violence is verifiably down, there's far more guns than people here, and even though we have a gun culture, we don't have a gun problem. If guns are the problem, yet we've had guns since before the creation of the country, wouldn't there be a long chain of school shootings with increasing frequency as the years and guns increased? If guns are truly to blame, the outcomes would support the violence associated with it. However, it does not.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm sure that what the parents of the victims of the Newtown massacre really care about is NSA spying.

18. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Probably worthy of another thread, but what do you think is preventing the cartel casualty rate from being duplicated here in the U.S.? The cartels operate here, all over, but the violence is a fraction of what it is in Mexico.

19. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    To your point I'm sure the parents of the children of the Newtown shooting were big proponents of gun control on December 13th, 2012 also.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    There are multiple reasons. Cartels have control over communities in Mexico (either through PR or violence or both); they have control over law enforcement and government officials. That would be a lot more difficult in the U.S. Another reason is that by escalating violence on the U.S. side of the border they risk incurring the wrath of a much more powerful state than Mexico. But a big reason is that there's no need. The Mexican government escalated the situation considerably by deploying the military against the cartels; the U.S. hasn't done that. Also, the cartels are the producers of some drugs and the middlemen for others (cocaine). The U.S. is the market. It's where the demand is. Why risk losing that?

deathraygun likes this.
  21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Are you implying that illegal immigrants are coming to the US so they can buy guns?

22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    To think that people come to America because they want guns is downright ridiculous. And there is a reason no other nation considers it a right - because they aren't crazy... and we aren't talking about muskets anymore...

23. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I think freedom/liberty/opportunity is why people risk their lives to get here, not necessarily guns. But I think gun ownership goes hand in hand with personal freedoms.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So countries with less guns are less free then?

25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    But countries who have gun control are safer...