main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, unintended consequence of gag one-liner #1, how many more will there be? Watch this space!

One, ah, ha, ha!

[​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Horax- historically medical doctors used to prescribe cigarettes to new mothers to help them control their post baby weight. Cigarettes were also prescribed to treat tension and stress. We now know of the deleterious effects of smoking and so now medical doctors no longer prescribe cigarettes as part of their treatment plans. Historical justifications for things are pretty useless.

Do you believe that the US is susceptible to a nazi like dictatorial regime and resulting holocaust if private gun ownership was banned right now as you read this ? Do you believe that such a regime has only been avoided to date because of private gun ownership ? Do you really believe these things?

harpua, Jedi Merkurian , tom and 2 others like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    FWIW, the Confederate flag absolutely is tied to gun rights.

The right to own the largest gun possible in order to compensate for a lack of largesse in other areas.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I disagree, and I think that's a dangerous sentiment.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  6. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Well, as important as being cool in the internet is (very), preventing mass wrongdoing is even more important. Nazis are still real. Fascism is still real. People going into a blind rage because they feel their country gets too rough a beating - very real.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Except it's unrelated because the Nazis didn't do what Horax said they did. I demonstrated that in the previous page. Further, he only brought up the Nazis as a sort of "internet win" card in order to make his political opponents look similar to Nazis.

Jedi Merkurian , Jedi Ben and harpua like this.
  8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yeah, I didn't mean in this instance, just in general. It's bad if it's a taboo.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I wasn't saying that acknowledgement or discussion of Nazis should stop all together, I was saying that using Hitler and Nazis in an argument, inappropriately, in the way outlined by Vivec above, is ineffective and bad form.

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Then I misunderstood [face_peace]

harpua likes this.
  11. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Horax should have used Saddam Hussein to illustrate the point as Hussein did disarm the people to maintain control. How that compares to US society to justify private gun ownership is anybody 's guess unless you accept the proposition that any future US President would become a tyrannical and murderous dictator if private gun ownership was ever banned.

12. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I most assuredly would not!
    Americentrism +1

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    But you are!

14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    That's typing.
    No idea how to pronounce this.

15. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Inappropriate Nazi references? Here?

I won't stand for it!

removed inappropriate image

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You forget that I've spoken to you on the phone, bonehead.

SuperWatto likes this.
  17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Wasn't me

harpua likes this.
  18. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ "What are ya looking at, butthead? Say hi to your mom for me."

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I come into this thread for good discussion on how to control guns and all you've got for me is light beer?

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Citation on statistical significance here?
    Here's the list :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate_(2012)
    There are, if I counted right, 73 cities over 250k population. Anchorage is like, 53rd. Violent crime as a whole, they're 25th.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I assume you're agreeing with me?

25th in violent crime and 53rd in population is pretty damn bad.

22. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Not all of those crimes are gun related. Most are not.

I'd feel safer in Anchorage than I would in L.A.

Also about suicide. I think people should control what they say. I've come across quiet a bit of mean stuff of internet and people getting put down by people they don't know in real life. How does one know if what they say has an impact on a person? Perhaps the people getting put down are having depression and one hurtful comment pushes them over the edge. Of course people are responsible for their own actions, but if there was more kindness in the world I am sure suicide would go down. (I've had someone I know and care about kill themself)

"Sticks and stones break my bones but words will never hurt me" is a LIE

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, bullying on the internet can be an issue and drive vulnerable people such as teenagers to suicide. But you're using it as a distraction. The fact is that people who own firearms are more likely to commit suicide than those who do not.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The aggravated assault rate is higher in Anchorage than it is where I live, a city of three times as many people. I know aggravated assault can happen with a different weapon but it's worth noting.

And maybe a little off topic but holy ****, what is up with the rape rate there? Does not make me want to visit.

My point is that it's probably not a good example, and it's worth asking why the crime rate is so high. If the crimes are not gun-related, OK, why are they happening and do guns contribute at all?

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I forgot a word there, they're 25th in murder rates. So I'm questioning the presumption.