main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

Also the Christian God is the same one who commanded his disciples to sell all their possessions and give the proceeds to the poor.

So I feel like the only valid Christian response to being burgled is to just give your stuff away to the burglar! "If someone takes your coat, give to him your tunic also," and all that.

Most Christians forget (or ignore) this. ;)

3. Darth Air Raley

Darth Air Raley Jedi Padawan

May 11, 2016
  4. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Franchise, dude. Franchise.
    http://money.howstuffworks.com/franchising1.htm

Same reason everyone hated the douchenozzle who bullied the Chik Fil A worker in Colorado....because while CFA corporate provides the business model, signage, etc., the individual restaurants are locally owned and operated.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I admit I do not understand what your point is.

*This was before SithSense edited his post

6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So let me get this straight: you are trying to start a bickering fest here for no other reason than your own amusement? Because i clearly understand how franchising works. But you went ahead anyway and posted in an insulting fashion.

Edit sometimes I hate Bluetooth texting.

Also chick fil a's CEO was the one responsible for the company's poor relations with the national LGBT community, not a single franchise owner. Now, yes, local franchises in Orlando are the ones contributing here, but it's not like they had no communication with their home office.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

And let's not mention the fact that if indeed, you had a worse case scenario of a home invasion with your family inside, would it truly be a great idea to engage in a firefight with the perp(s)?

Say that the perp isn't armed and he's shot and killed in the vaunted pursuit of the "God given right" of protecting your ****. You've technically dealt with the threat with excessive force that could be punishable by law. If not, the perp's family or next of kin may sue you and, if you're SOL, may actually win the suit, forcing you to part from the property you were so anxious to defend in the first place and possibly putting you and your family in a dire financial straits. Outcome = loss.

Say that there's two perps and one of them happens to be armed and just as trigger happy as Scapro here. What if he's a better shot and injures or otherwise kills the defender? Or worse, harms/kills any other family member caught in the crossfire, going as far as using one of them as a human shield or hostage to make sure he gets out of that home alive. No other outcome here but loss. So much for the effectiveness of the firearm in the house, eh?

No, as others have said, the first and best line of defense against a home invasion is security. Secured doors and windows and an effective security system that alerts you and the authorities the moment something or someone has entered or breached the home's perimeter. Locked doors in all rooms at night and an active plan discussed with all family members in the event of a home invasion (something as simple as "stay locked in the room no matter what and call 911!"). If you're steadfast about getting a hand-cannon in your home, drawing it out from its safe should only be as the absolute last option to deal with such a threat. And then you'd have to weigh in the risks mentioned above. I'd sooner go with plan A and secure my family first and let the perp take the **** and have his chances with the cops. The loss will probably be there but the risk of you or your family getting hurt or killed is significantly lower. And as many others have said, crooks usually prefer to go in during the day when - usually - no one's home. Only the very desperate or ruthless actually try to go in if someone's at home, and usually after scoping out the place and assessing both security and inhabitants.

To me, owning a gun is simply not an option, no matter how much the notion may thrill the inner cowboy or vidja game warrior in me. I've never shot a gun and I don't think that'll ever happen. The simple reality is that a gun is a weapon and, just like any other weapon, it's sole purpose is to kill something or someone. The weight and responsibility of wielding such a weapon is, suffice to say, enormous. I'd rather not have it, ever. Nor put my family in danger by having such a thing around. There are plenty of methods to protect life and property that do not involve owning a deadly weapon, so the North American rationale about that "god given right" protected by the archaic and absolutely not applicable to the 21st century 2nd Amendment is deeply flawed. US leaders are simply too gutless to tell the NRA and their cowboy constituents that demand their six shooters on their hips at all times to **** off and that things have to change. And they have to change now.

Columbine. Sandy Hook. Aurora. Orlando. The list goes on. And it'll keep growing unless the world's leading nation grows up and seriously reevaluates how it can arm itself without killing its own people in the process.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Chick-fil-A restaurants may be franchises, but there are certain things franchises have no choice about. For them, for example, they have no choice about being closed on Sundays; corporate policy dictates that every Chick-fil-A is closed on Sundays. In this case, it's clear that the local franchise in that area was where the workers came in on a Sunday and prepared food for people, but also that they did all of that with the support of corporate.

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    So these Chick-fil-A things close on Sunday...why? To honor the Lord's day? Really?

Somebody should tell the idiots in charge that their sky friend Jeezus could give two ***** about their losing business on a Sunday to "honor" him. In fact, he'd probably tell them they're ******* idiots.

Ok, had to get that off my chest. Go back to talking about cowards' weapons.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Late to the party :p First off, I wanted to address this ongoing point:

Actually...

In England, for generations, the preferred method of suicide was asphyxiation by breathing oven fumes. Suddenly, in the 1970's, the suicide rate dropped by approximately 30%. Was this due to a massive cultural shift? A huge increase in mental health programs?

Nope.

Prior to the 1970's, most ovens in England used coal gas, which contains large amounts of carbon monoxide. The government began converting to natural gas, which contains virtually no carbon monoxide.

In Washington DC, the Duke Ellington bridge and the Taft bridge are relatively near one another. The Ellington bridge was known as DC's "suicide bridge" because of the number of people who lept to their deaths from the bridge, even though both have comparable heights over Rock Creek. Civic groups lobbied for a suicide barrier to be placed on the Ellington bridge. The counter-argument was that people would just jump from the nearby Taft bridge instead. Did that actually happen?

Nope.

The number of jumping suicides from the Taft bridge remained constant, while those from the Ellington bridge were eliminated altogether. What was the difference between the two bridges prior to the modifications? Balustrade height. The concrete barriers on the Ellington bridge were (prior to the modifications) easier to climb over.

Between 1990-2005, the suicide rate in Sri Lanka dropped by 50%. The preferred method of suicide was by drinking a commonplace pesticide. Restrictions on imports and sales of a particular class of pesticides is credited with that rate reduction.

Soooo....

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Exactly. If you want to argue that a high number of gun suicides is an acceptable side effect of the special relationship Americans have with their guns, fine. Just be honest about it. Be honest that you don't care about suicide prevention, and that you are uninterested in saving some percentage of the 20,000 Americans who intentionally kill themselves with guns each year.

Our old friend Kimball_Kinnison at least used to be honest about this. He felt that suicide was a choice and that people should be free to attempt it with the most effective means possible.

Ender Sai, TX-20, V-2 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Also, for every gun used in self-defense, six more are used to commit a crime.

Also, from the article:
    Also, regarding the Orlando shooting, there was an off-duty police officer working as armed security when the shooting took place. Y'know, one of those "good guys with a gun" that people say prevent these sorts of things from happening...

Ender Sai, CT-867-5309, TX-20 and 5 others like this.
  13. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    And all of that is your opinion. I could pull and show you dozens-hundreds of cases from local media around the country where home invasions or robberies are stopped by the good guy with a gun or in some cases teenagers with their parents guns. But I am not going to.

I respect your opinion that not owning a gun is an option for you. All people like me, gun owners who want common sense gun laws, are saying is please respect our opinion that owning a gun is for you.

As I said earlier I am for national background checks. I am for mental health checks. I am for mandatory firearms safety courses. I am also for qualification every few years to prove you can actually hit what you aim at. I may have some thoughts and beliefs that others here find repugnant or disagree with however alienating people like me won't help us get the change that the people want, it just makes the far right people more angry and more resistant to change.

And Rylo Ken I was being destroyed personally enough as it is. Suicide is a personal choice and as long as a person doesn't harm anyone else in the process of committing that act, it is between them and their God what they want to do. We should provide as much resources to help people make the "right decision" but we can't baby it.

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    By all means, please do...

[​IMG]

Then you have no argument.

CT-867-5309, harpua, EHT and 3 others like this.
  15. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Jedi Merkurian

It's been done before, but has been hand waved away when it was presented. Several times throughout this thread IIRC.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    honestly even if he could come up with "dozens", weighed against the 335,000+ deaths from his own numbers it still wouldn't be much of an argument.

and scarpo, i have to wonder if you've ever had someone close to you commit suicide. you don't have to hurt others during the act itself to absolutely devastate a family or community.

Ender Sai, harpua, Diggy and 3 others like this.
  17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    You're willing to kill and put yourself and/or your family in deadly danger over the "potential" threat of some some guy(s) barging into your home and stealing your "stuff", cowboy. That sorta kinda tells me that perhaps you shouldn't have a gun either, eh?

Tell us, besides your arsenal, in what else have you invested as far as home security is concerned?

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    EDIT: Also...

19. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I live in a decent area where still we get police alerts weekly of home invasions (with people inside the home, not in the middle of the day) and armed robberies with firearms shown and I pay taxes for a strong police presence in my community. I have a German Shepherd that is likely more of a deterrent than anything else I can think of, and I have a single firearm.

Please also note I am reporting you for the derogatory comment of "cowboy". I am also putting everyone else on notice, this is a thread about issues and just because you disagree with me doesn't mean you get to call names or act in a derogatory manner towards me or others you disagree with.

If you want debate and discourse we can have that however comments such as this are a non starter.

And tom I have thankfully not had someone close to me commit suicide however I have been their with grieving family members who had loved ones do so (I am an EMT) and I fully understand the devastation involved. I would also state that the devastation from drug ODs is much worse than suicide due to the higher volume of drug OD compared to suicide (at least in my section of the country).

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, he just makes up nonsense, and avoids quoting posts which he cannot dispute. Out of my recent posts, he's quoted a total of one. It's a little disingenuous, perhaps even dishonest in a way.

V-2 likes this.
  21. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Don't risk his ire or he'll report you too.

We're on notice don't forget. You numpty

V-2, Darth_Invidious and Diggy like this.
  22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Agreed. By all means, I invite you to address the issue of suicide methodology...

23. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    You could just as easily do the search for such articles yourself, and you know that, but you pretty much just made my point.
    I remember what heels1785 said about sharp language towards one another, do you?

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Numpty?!?!?

I demand you exile yourself for 24 hours, or you will be reported. You're worse than that **** CP.

Darth_Invidious and FatBurt like this.
  25. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I have decided not to engage with someone(you) who came out with insults and degrading me for my view points. Maybe others here put up with it but I do not.

Also here , here , here , here, here, here. I can't really scour the web for more (there were hundreds of articles) due to the fact I am currently working too.