main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm circling back to the suicide thing, because I came across this, which puts the final nail in the coffin of the nonsense Scapro was spouting. Unless he trumps a Harvard study?

“Studies show that most attempters act on impulse, in moments of panic or despair. Once the acute feelings ease, 90 percent do not go on to die by suicide.”

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/guns-and-suicide/

2. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I couldn't help it ;)

This was a sad tragedy and thankfully it resulted in the removal of the Confederate flag from state houses in the south. I hope we can eradicate the culture of hate related to differences that exists so that tragedy such as this doesn't occur. No one should be harmed based on the color of their skin, their religious beliefs, or their sexuality.

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    No, it doesn't. I own a 1911, a Remington hunting rifle, and 12 gauge shot gun. If I ever need more ammunition than any of those provide, I'm a seriously poor shot and would need to get my ass to the shooting range. I have never felt the need to own anything that can shoot 30 rounds, and I never will. If I can't hit the target in 8, I deserve to be shot.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oy..... stop stigmatizing mental illness, people!

SuperPersch, Sepra and Scapro Tyler like this.
  5. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Notice I did not speak about the amount of rounds. I simply stated that a semi-automatic weapon is better for home defense. As I did in another post, it is safer from a recoil perspective and a velocity perspective. My .45 handgun only has a 10 round mag however I would feel more comfortable shooting that if necessary than a 9mm revolver due to recoil and the ability for me to hit what I am aiming at. I don't have the luxury (time/money) to go to the range often enough to really train with a revolver but am proficient with my semi-autos.

As I said on another page. Suicide is a very sad situation that affects a lot of different things and it is a personal choice akin to euthanasia or abortion.

And....cue personal attack on me for my belief.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    There's no personal attacking going on, man. This is a senate thread. If people think your beliefs are stupid, they'll say so. Try not to take things so personally.

7. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I wasn't until I got warned for stating that I believed someone else's worldview was part of the problem. If it works one way it has to work both ways.

EDIT: More importantly, I decide what I take personally and will take the appropriate action afforded to me by the rules of this forum if so necessary.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh, you mean when you found out anakinfan works in education, and you told her she was part of the problem and should be ashamed of herself? That was pretty lame of you.

9. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Lame or not it was on the same level, if not nicer than, things being leveled at me for my beliefs.

EDIT: Back to the issues and off of this topic?

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Your warning was not for stating that "someone's world view" is part of the problem. Your warning was for "YOU are part of the problem and YOU should be ashamed of yourself."

Likewise, people have been getting warned for calling other people stupid in this thread.

Calling a viewpoint uninformed, or stupid, is very different from going after someone personally.

The Senate can be a tough place but there is a difference between "your views are bad/stupid/uninformed" and "you are a bad person." The latter is actionable, the former is not.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Hey, you brought up the personal attack thing. I was responding to your post. Simmer down there, skip.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Would it have been more appropriate and non-actionable if I had stated the following (Serious question, I am trying to understand the rules and what the Mods will determine to be actionable and not):

"I find your worldview to be wrong and stupid and it deeply concerns me that people like you are involved in education?"

Clarification would be appreciated.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It was okay until the "people like you" part.

14. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    How about:

"Your worldview is horrifying. I hope no one with that worldview is involved in education"

Where is the line? Or is it just impossible to state that you think that someone's worldview shouldn't be involved in X profession? Just curious because a lot of people have stated that my worldview should disqualify me from owning a gun and by your definition those were personal attacks on me yet only my name was called out.

15. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Consider this: an AR-15 is a decently lengthy rifle, and rather ungainly for close quarters combat. In home defense, a handgun is more more wieldy and much more practical. I can think of no practical useage for an assault weapon that is not already covered by a weapon of less ammo amount. Hunting? Single shot rifles and shotguns are just as good. Home defense? Refer back to my earlier argument. I can see no logical reason for the continued legality of assault weapons unless you're somebody who simply gets their jollies from being a really really bad shot.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm going to leave this for anakinfan or another mod to answer.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  17. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    In my view the only reason for a private citizen to own an AR-15 (other than because they want it) is because that citizen believes that a societal collapse or rioting may occur. I trust no one to defend me and believe that we are heading towards a tipping point. If Trump gets elected I fully expect riots, looting, and civil unrest in my area of the country and across the country.

That in my mind is when a weapon such as the AR-15 comes into play.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The latter is actionable. Indicating that someone who disagrees with you should not be allowed to work with children is considered a personal attack.

19. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Then where can I lodge a formal complaint against a moderator? What I did was wrong and deserved a warning based on the rules however multiple times the same was done to me and those weren't called out until the blanket warning after my statements. This is selective enforcement of the rules.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You can PM one of the admins, but I would not expect "You should not be allowed to work with children" and "You should not be allowed to own a gun" to be viewed as an equivalent statement.

Although I am interested in where someone directly said to you "You are too dangerous to own a gun" without action being taken.

Jedi Merkurian and SuperWatto like this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Start a Comms thread if you're feeling aggrieved. Let's not work in shadows.

http://boards.theforce.net/forums/communications.10006/

22. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I will make my case to the appropriate people.

Thank you. I agree. Fully out in the open is preferred.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It literally never happened.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's what I thought, but I'm on my phone and wasn't going to read through the whole thread.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Excellent, let us know when it's up!