main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh I know that. It was a 2 sentence summary for heaven's sake.

2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Rep. John Lewis and other House Democrats are staging a sit-in right now to demand action on gun control. C-SPAN is blacked out, the GOP is shutting off cameras, but it's all over Twitter right now. (Can't silence social media!)

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Isn't silencing media like majorly unconstitutional? Like breaking Rule #1 level unconstitutional?

4. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Precisely. Paul Ryan is sacrificing the First Amendment in an attempt to save the Second.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Second is the only Amendment Republicans care about.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I retracted my statement, can we put it to rest.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    C-SPAN is broadcasting a Periscope feed to get around it. Good for them.

Good grief, that picture is big. Okay, if you want to see the picture of the CSPAN Periscope feed, click on the spoiler tag.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Good for the House Dems. I was miffed when I saw this morning that was the Senate, seemed to be trying to at least come to some sort of "no Fly, no Buy," in a bipartsian manner, the House Republicans were, once again, coming up with bills to abolish Obamacare.:rolleyes:

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Technically...

C-SPAN only runs when Congress is in session. When the sit-in started, Speaker Ryan declared the House to be in recess. Therefore,the sit-in is not being televised on C-SPAN.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    LostOnHoth - how many home invasions did you fend off overnight?

I had none. And in fact I was not at any point in danger of another person nor the government encroaching on my Freedom all morning.

As I go into the lunch hour, I anticipate zero issues in which being armed will be necessary.

11. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Nice to know, though, that when you are standing in that queue at Subway, if anyone tries to push in, you could blow them away. You wouldn't, of course, but just that feeling that you could. That's reassuring.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Your chances of getting shot double just for calling it a "queue." We fought to keep Britishisms out!

13. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    A... line?... a, umm.... are Americans so free that they refuse to line up?

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Or if they got picky with which tomatoes the "sandwich artist" added to their sub while several people are standing in line.

"And do you have extra spicy mustard or just regular spicy?"

There are ten ****ing people behind you wanting their lunch. Just order some damn mustard if you want it.

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Did you guys just see what happened an hour ago? Ryan showed up, gaveled the House back in session (cameras back on, mics back on), berated the Democrats for their disorder and held a vote on repealing the fiduciary rule for financial advisors. The vote passed (the Democrats did not vote, and were constantly shouting him down the entire time). Ryan gaveled the House back out of session, and left. Never seen anything like it.

There's constant yelling and screaming back and forth on the C-SPAN scream, people trying to evict the gallery and congressmen yelling to let them stay. A congressman facetiming to CNN from the Floor, and the sergeant at arms kicks him out and forces him to stream from the cloakroom.

What in the world.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Damn - financial advisors who handle others money SHOULD be fiduciaries for their clients.

Since I'm not familiar with that bill, I have to ask WHY they would do that - that means the advisors do not have to manage your money in your best interests. (I worked for an excellent advisor some time back, but was not involved in any way with the financial side of his business.)

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It depends on whether or not you have rules in other commercial statutes which impose a fiduciary duty on advisors. IFAs here pushed back against similar reforms on the basis that the Corporations Act already imposes duties via the financial services licensing regime.

Anyway, I just went down to get sushi. It's called "Lion King Roll" but there's no lions of regal or other birth involved. Disappointing. The server asked who was next and though I was I deferred to the mid-50s lady there because I'm a gentleman.

I suppose I was within my rights to shoot and or be shot but it didn't just keep out.

And Greg, you'd be forgiven for assuming the Americans used "queue" because given their unique dialect is basically what you get when stupid children cannot spell here they could have just called it a Q. Like how cheque has become check, because they're a nation of simpletons. Watch this: America, I didn't just call you a nation of simpletons. I was referring to the nation of Islamistan, which hates your freedom.

See? They're angry at a country that doesn't exist.

So yes, "I'm in the Q" could have been a thing for their dialect (and it's not a language, Microsoft, and I don't care how much you wish it was) but apparently they have to call it a line. Just like, with near child-like simplicity, the pavement or a footpath is called a "sidewalk" (because you done walks on the side!).

You couldn't have known where they'd draw the line at actual English though, so don't take it to heart.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    House back officially in session, 1am... wtf

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jay you can go to bed.

Your broken state will continue to fail in any meaningful or measurable sense to pass the legislation required to, as a government ought, protect the people from harm.

America will be as terrible tomorrow as it is today, irrespective of what happens at 1am.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, this is way too late and absolutely nothing's gonna happen. But the novelty of crazy voting at 1am is interesting enough conceptually.

But I think I've had my fill of watching after the first vote (which was the vote about the motion asking for a motion to adjourn, which is now being voted on). And then they'll be voting on a bill at 2:30am once a new legislative day is issued, then vote to recess until July 5th. Crazy stuff. But I am not staying up for it.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    We've had Parliament threatened with being open for days in continuous sitting, Iello.

And we banned guns.

You should have stayed in the Empire.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    We've had plenty of continuous sessions over days too, that's not remarkable in any legislature. The drama of them doing a sit-in while being essentially shut out is the new part. The majority rightly has the power to open and close sessions, but the Dems not letting themselves be shut out . They're livestreaming from the floor because the cameras and mics are off -- that's the new part. The speaker isn't wrong that it's disorderly and not in keeping with the House rules, but the speaker is also the one who is spitefully putting up votes on nonsense and whose party is completely guilty of not doing their jobs, so.

But yes Ender, I understand that we missed out on the prospect to live in a gun-free society that has Prince George as its future sovereign. But how could we have known? At the time, it was just an insane king and an overweening parliament.

23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    You can rejoin after brexit. We'll probably be looking to join some other debt-ridden sinking ship full of bloated bureaucrats.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy)
    2 mins ago - View on Twitter
    APNEWSALERT: Police say no one injured by gunman at German movie theater.

If only he had an assault rifle.