main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Talos156 : I'd be very surprised if Ender disagreed with that but I won't speak for him either.

Every country has crime, and countries with a higher level of income inequality have more crime.

In the developed world, our crime rate is magnified by a factor of 72585 because of guns. The issue with many gun rights advocates is that they ignore this very important fact.

Reasonable gun laws such as those enacted in Australia would not eliminate crime, but it would greatly diminish the magnitude and violence of it.

Which is the point. Not crime elimination itself.

2. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    This one's an absolute dullard.

Can we have JRod back, please?

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Talos156
    You're being treated with so much sarcasm and aloofness because you're in this thread making the same tired arguments that have already been made, oh about 381 times or so. You like guns and don't want them banned, so you make bad excuses and demand a perfect solution or nothing. What makes you vaguely different is your claim to be centre-left, and to be fair your gentle criticism of 2A, but you're still saying guns are not the problem, or that banning guns wouldn't fix everything wrong in America so you shouldn't bother.

There are societies even more unequal than yours which do not have a similar problem with gun deaths. Yours is a special problem, but it doesn't require a special solution. What has worked everywhere else should probably work in the USA too.

Ender Sai, Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    V-2 "You like guns..."

^ How I know you didn't read my entire post.

5. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Here's a fun perspective for you.

Here in the UK dangerous equipment that can cause injury or death through careless use normally requires some kind of licence. To drive a car, for example, you need a licence and to obtain documentation to the effect that your vehicle is safe to drive. You must:
    • Undergo training to learn how to drive safely
    • Demonstrate that you can drive safely in a variety of road conditions in a driving test
    • Declare that you are medically fit to drive
    • Hold an MOT licence for your vehicle(s) certifying that it is safe to drive
    • Have motor vehicle insurance
    • Drive a road-legal vehicle covered by your licence (e.g. no formula 1 cars on the road, special licences for trucks/buses etc)
    This ensures that people who drive can do so safely and are using a roadworthy vehicle. It also means that people convicted of serious driving offences or develop certain medical conditions (e.g. blindness) are not allowed to drive. The freedom to drive a car is balanced with checks designed to protect other people's freedom to not be killed by dangerous motorists.

Similarly, if you wish to own a gun you need a licence and must:
    • Undergo background checks
    • Undertake training
    • Demonstrate that you can use, transport and store firearms safely
    • Own a gun cabinet that meets certain criteria (such as being bolted securely to the floor) and store firearms there when not in use/transit
    • Own a gun that's suitable for purpose (hunting/shooting sports)
    This ensures that people who own guns know how to use them safely, don't have a criminal record (at least not for anything serious or violent) and don't have serious mental health issues. The freedom to own a gun is balanced with checks designed to protect other people's freedom to not be injured or killed by dangerous gun users.

Where's the problem with this system?
    • Do you want people convicted of violent offences to own guns?
    • Do you want people with a history of serious mental health disturbance to own guns?
    • Do you want people who are unable to use a gun safely to own guns?
    • Do you want people who store guns irresponsibly to own guns?
    • Do you want people to own guns that are not suitable for any legitimate purpose?
    From an outside perspective, it's like seeing a developed country that has no driving test and no checks in place for vehicle safety and seeing the huge death toll on the roads due to this lunacy.
    I understand that home protection is a thing there, but it's a thing there because you have hopelessly insufficient firearm controls in place.

Unless you have a criminal record, a history of disordered mental health or you simply don't know how to use a gun safely, why on earth would you object to licensing?

As for owning ridiculous weapons that aren't suitable for any legitimate purpose outside the military, why do you want them in the first place? If you want to play soldiers, nut up and join the Marines.

6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Tell that to Kanjiklub.

Jedi Merkurian and Ender Sai like this.
  7. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
  8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Because Freedom **** Yeah!

No, really, all it takes is for the so-called most powerful nation to show its might by, indeed, having the cojones to re-orient itself, join the 21st century, say sod off to certain interest groups and radical members of its own society and re-write a grossly misinterpreted and archaic amendment in its Constitution.

But I wonder if The Powers That Be are so afraid - of the NRA, of some of their own constituents, or of merely appearing weak against the rest of the world - that there's no force on the planet that will make them budge towards that much needed change.That perhaps they're willing to pay the price of a monthly mass shooting within their own borders as long as they remain 'Murka, Land of the Free, Home of the (Heavily Armed) Brave.

9. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I do not own a firearm but I understand the appeal. They're flashy. They GO BOOM. They give you the power of the ALMIGHTY in your hand.

Gun owners believe in the slippery slope paradox.

Ban assault weapons ok. Next mass shooting involved semi hand guns. Then ban semis. Ok next massacre used revolvers. Then all handguns get banned.

Next massacre used pump actions.......

And so forth and so on.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, I for one have a stiffy now. [face_flag]

11. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    It will take quite some time to get that image out of my mind.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Leave it there.

Enjoy it.

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Basin, your writing has improved since I was last here

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Spellchecker can only do so much. I still get my there's wrong every now and then. I was a strait D student in spelling and English with the occasional F.

Now history was fun!

15. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

Me too. Need to go somewhere quiet for a bit of 'me time' with a copy of Guns & Ammo.

[​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Saw this place driving-by the Orlando/Kissimee area a couple of weeks back and I just knew it'd be perfect for this thread:

www.machinegunamerica.com

No, I did not go in. The irony was just too thick.

17. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Irony? The hell are you talking abou-"ORLANDO SHOOTING ATTRACTION"...ah...I see it now.

18. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Among their 'tactical gear' range is this:

[​IMG]

Presumably so people can make-believe they're part of this:

[​IMG]

lol.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah yes, the 22SAS. The Regiment. The one you don't tell people you're a part of, yet some numpty in the pub will tell you they're SAS/SASR.

Yes, one imagines the average American has what it takes to serve Her Majesty's government as part of its elite special forces.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  20. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    a lit spatial fartses

21. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    American Special Forces is what British Special Forces want to be one day when they grow up! :D

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  23. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Hahaha hahaha

Ha

Ha
    Ha..

Ha

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Quite probably the most stupid comment made on these boards - well, definitely for 2016, but possibly for the last decade.

A truly spectacular effort there.

slightly_unhinged and FatBurt like this.
  25. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    The smile means I kid!

By the way, the special forces of Israel are the best.