main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Second Amendment was based on the idea that a tyrannical government should not have fewer restrictions on weapons and therefore such an advantage over the people that they can never vote it out by any means.

I understand that thought process, but I think some groups take it way too far when defending literally any use of a gun under the guise of "protecting oneself" or "protecting one's property." That's very different from the idea of ensuring that a tyrannical government will never rise, especially given that we have done a terrible job of that lately despite all the intended protections against it.

Freedom of the press and freedom of speech were also intended to keep a tyrannical government from rising, and the current administration is doing its best to curb freedom of the press and only cares about "free speech" when it means "freedom to say hateful things about women and minorities".

The fact that the Second Amendment rights of people of color are not viewed as anywhere near as sacred as those of white people also needs to be addressed.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Apart from the fact a civilian army being able to successfully revolt against a modern great power is ridiculous on the face of it, I am not sure why those same people who think it's even theoretically viable also insist on building up an already excessive military. Seems counter intuitive.

3. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I actually am opposed to a larger, excessive military.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Revolutions succeed only with extensive support from soldiers, sailors, and marines who would have weapons regardless of the legality of civilian firearm ownership. Whiskey distillers in the late 18th century fought back against a tyrannical tax; President George Washington personally marched an army to confront them, and would have crushed the Whiskey Rebellion had they not dispersed before he arrived.

The Second Amendment was really useful in putting down slave revolts, though! We have a long tradition of it not applying to people who aren't white.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    San Bernadino Elementary School Shooting, apparently 4 injured/dead :(

Early reports saying 2 students, teacher, and shooter

6. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    PD is stating it is an apparent murder suicide.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  8. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    [​IMG]

Lol. "Gun Control".

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  9. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015

As someone who holds your opinion of "gun control" and has stated so here before I do believe you should expect to get an interesting reaction in 3....2.......1

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
  11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    anyone who feels their opinion is adequately expressed by an idiotic meme doesn't really deserve an interesting reaction. but yeah, super cool thing to post in the wake of another school shooting. so much edge.

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    But, tom, my right to a firearm is more important than a school shooting. Didn't you know that?

Rew likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This argument always goes around in circles every time somebody posts a comment equivalent to that meme, even when the poster does the rest of us the courtesy of posting something other than a meme.

So a question that might spur some discussion, at the risk of being optimistic:

People who are going to murder other people with guns do not check the laws first. Understood.

But, without addressing the issue of guns, what should Americans/American lawmakers do to address the problem of mass shootings, the number of which is exponentially higher per capita than that in other first-world democracies?

A few things to get out of the way first:

--If you are going to say "address mental health care," I am 100 percent with you on that.

--"I don't know, but..." is not an answer, it is an excuse.

--"But it's our Second Amendment right regardless of whether there are mass shootings" is also not an answer, and is even worse than an excuse.

--If you are going to say that passing new gun laws will not solve the problem in and of itself, again, I agree. We have to address the problem of the sheer number of guns in this country, and my solution would be a buy-back program similar to what Australia implemented.

OK, vertigo medicine in hand, hopefully I won't need it and neither will anyone else, but...go.

14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Or we could just arm children because they could, you know, somehow, prevent shootings by being, erm, heavily armed.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I seriously hope no one seriously suggests arming school employees. If I wanted to carry a gun while I work, I would become a police officer or enlist in the military.

It seems rather barbaric and again, not conducive to a first world democracy, to accept a situation in which school employees must arm themselves.

16. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Few thoughts:

1.) Require everyone buying a gun to go through a background check, mental health screen, and mandatory firearms safety course.
    2.) Require gun owners to go through a qualification process (Maybe once every two years prove they can shoot what they aim at?)
    3.) If others live in the house (family or friends sharing an apartment) they need to consent to a mental health screen as well.
    4.) Effectively punish actual violations of the law. Don't let people go on the streets for gun crimes. In the interest in keeping prisons less crowded and "social justice" we have let 100s of gun crime offenders on the streets pending hearings to which they don't show up to and subsequently commit more crime.
    5.) Recognize cops can't be everywhere. Institute some sort of certified First Response program where legal gun owners can become a first line of defense. Start with other first responders? Off-Duty military, Fire, EMS? Allow them the option to partake and undergo slightly more rigorous mental health screens.
    6.) Hold companies responsible for protecting their goods. A lot of illegal guns are stolen from shipping containers and the like as an "added bonus" when stealing from train yards or shippers. Right now they are not held responsible if these items are stolen.

PCCViking likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm with you on most of that; my biggest issue is with the "certified First Response" program which could easily be abused the way "stand your ground" has been. Limiting it to off-duty military, fire and EMS would help curtail the abuse.

On prisons being less crowded...stop arresting people for marijuana and bad checks.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Death tool is up to three in the school shooting, one of the children have died. :(

19. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Yay for the School District I work at to be in the news. With the shooter connected to said district in some form. Again.

Not. [face_plain]

*sighs* I'm all for Gun Control, but its blatantly obvious it will never happen. There are too many who stand by the 2nd Amendment.

20. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree on limiting it to off-duty military, fire, EMS. Maybe other civil servants? I don't know where the line should be but I can agree on a line existing.

And I agree on the bad checks/pot. I mean we can just legalize weed and fund more cops/first responders with the tax revenue.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sorry to hear that Darth_Elu.

Gun Control certainly won't happen during the Trump Administration.

Jedi Merkurian and Darth_Elu like this.
  22. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I'd argue that anything First Response should be limited to those with training in ta field that deals with being a first responder. Fire, EMS, and LEO's primarily. That includes reserve officers, National Guard/Reserve soldiers, etc. Non emergency personnel or civilians cross that line and make a situation more tenuous, and really "stand your ground" is off the table at that point IMO. I'm not even a fan of other civil servants participating in it, whether they be an employee of the state, municipality, or federal government. I work with government employees across that spectrum regularly, and I can say that I'm not comfortable with that idea at all.

When there was the idea for teachers to be armed in schools, I wasn't a fan of every teacher or staff member having that possibility. I would however support a type of marshal program where training is rigorous and the members in the program are largely only known to the principal and a couple other people in the school outside of those at the district level.
    Regarding marijuana, we're already moving that direction as a country state by state. As far as checks go, maybe people should keep better track of the finances?

Also Scapro, didn't you say you're a Libertarian? More taxes?

23. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Unlike how most people like to think, particularly in the JCC, my feelings and beliefs don't always fit neatly into a box. I agree with certain things being necessary regardless of the party I decide to support.

In all seriousness I have become more libertarian based on social issues and the ****ery of the GOP between obstructionist politics to pro-Russia nonsense. I hope my party can one day come back to me.

I would agree with a marshall program for school people if they wished to participate and other First Responders (EMS/Fire) would need additional training to be a part of the program.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    yankee8255 likes this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes in fact calls are already underway by Congressmen…….advocating concealed carry in DC.

[face_plain]

26. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  27. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I've already heard a few of the Republican congressmen say it might be time to have security for all congress people. Because, you know, some crazy person who can get a gun easily and won't be caught ahead of time might shoot some of them again.

So... Are the rest of us also going to get police security every time we go out to events in public? Or would it make more sense to, I don't know... Control who gets guns in the first place in some way? Just a crazy thought.

28. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005