main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, mate. No.

It's what Freedom looks like. [face_flag]

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm getting a bit misty eyed.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Liberty gives me the horn.

V-2, heels1785 and boudica like this.
  4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I'm off to Washington DC in September so hopefully I will not be served with a lethal dose of Freedom whilst I am there. If I avoid cops altogether then Freedom may elude me. I'm waiting for notification of a Freedom levy on my life and travel insurances as a visitor to the Land of Freedom.

5. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The Freedom to be shot is inalienable.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...neapolis-police-shooting-justine-damond-video

"
    American police use force more often than police in other developed countries

Police officers in the US shoot and kill nearly 1,000 people a year, according to the Washington Post’s database — far more than other developed countries like the UK, Australia, Japan, and Germany, where police officers might go an entire year without killing more than a dozen people or even anyone at all.
    For example, an analysis by the Guardian found that “US police kill more in days than other countries do in years.” Between 1992 and 2011, Australian police shot and killed 94 people. In 2015, US police shot and killed 97 people just in March. These differences are not explained by population, since the US is about 14 times as populous as Australia but, based on the Guardian’s count, has hundreds of times the fatal police shootings.
    One explanation for this disparity is that violent crime is much more common in the US, putting police in more situations in which the use of force is necessary. As data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development shows, the US homicide rate throughout the 2000s was nearly four times the rate of Canada, more than four times that of the UK, nearly six times that of Australia, and more than 10 times that of Germany.
    But why does the US have a much higher violent crime rate than other countries? One explanation: Americans are much more likely to own guns than their peers around the world. This means that conflicts — not just between police and civilians but between civilians — are more likely to escalate into deadly, violent encounters."
    [​IMG]

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Don't be surprised if people resort to violence, when you have a culture that celebrates and encourages violence.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Not really. Fifth Amendment rights are vital, if frustrating. One has a right to silence.

I believe Australia has a similar law, and I assume it extends to police officers as well.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't know if we do or not, but I'd find it equally troubling either way. He was acting not as a private citizen but as an officer of the law. At that point you should be held to different standards, including (IMHO) being compelled to cooperate with investigators by providing a statement, even if with legal counsel present. If you aren't willing to do that much, instant termination should follow.

EDIT: And here's the answer, from only four years ago:
    So, you're right, sort of: New South Wales has a common law ruling, as of 2013, that police officers have a right to silence during an investigation of conduct while on duty. As I said, I believe any officer exercising that right during such an investigation should face immediate termination.

V-2, Rew and TCF-1138 like this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    In Sweden, there's an enormous amount of paperwork involved if a police officer fires their gun. Not only if they shoot someone, but if they fire a warning shot or perform a mercy killing of an animal injured in traffic as well (which constitutes most times police officers discharge their weapons in Sweden). In that paperwork they have to detail exactly what went down at the time. I imagine the paperwork would probably triple if they shot and killed someone in the line of duty, not to mention the internal investigation that they would be forced to cooperate with. They certainly wouldn't be able to shut up about it without being charged with murder/manslaughter, and of course kicked off the force.

However, if a police officer were to shoot someone while they were off duty (you know, murder), obviously they would have the right to remain silent, just as any private citizen would.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    There's a ton of paperwork every time a police officer uses their firearm in the line of duty here, too. Duh. Of course there are standard procedures in place.

Btw, apparently in some places refusal to cooperate with investigation can result in termination. Depends on the area.

Since this just happened, he may be compelled to cooperate over the next few days. He may be fired. Idk.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    True, but this refusal to provide a statement AND to use a body cam should at, bare minimum, be cause for immediate termination from the police force. If the officer was justified, you would think he would want the cam on AND provide a statement.

The fifth amendment only protects his due process rights, not blanket immunity from other non-judicial consequences.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, especially if he refused to provide a statement even with an attorney present.

He has Miranda rights and the right not to be forced to testify against himself but suspension without pay pending trial would be appropriate.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    appleseed likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Powerful police unions.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    However, we can take some solace. Despite the fact the US is a barely functioning state whose impending collapse could frankly happen a lot sooner, there may finally be justice in a police shooting of a completely innocent civilian (because instead of terrifying every citizen everywhere, due to the severe implications of agents of the state executing with near impunity, more than one person each time defends the shootings). Unlike every other case, you see, the shooter was dark skinned and the victim white - not the other way around. America, which likes to fellate itself on its myths of liberty, democracy, justice, and rule of law, will not let this wicked transgression go unpunished. The officer will have to be charged.

appleseed and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Warning, rant ahead.

Ok, I understand guns, enough to know how to handle them safely. I've been around them since I was a kid: friends and family have them for hunting, trap shooting, as heirlooms, and I've fired them enough to know I'm a decent shot. So I'm cool with the fact that they exist--for some purposes. I've also lived and worked in some of the most gang- and crime-ridden parts of the state, and never felt I needed a weapon to protect myself. I always said I might get a gun for hunting, but lately I've made up my mind not to. I would still like to take up hunting, but it'll have to be with a bow. The risks of having a firearm in the house are just too great, especially for people with mental illness.

Now, what is making me feel unsafe is the fact that law enforcement keep killing people. Yet nowhere am I seeing discussion about disarming the police. If we're talking about American gun culture, this is the most visible example of its ridiculousness. If I get pulled over for a traffic violation, or if I call the cops to report a crime, I don't want them to even have a gun on them. De-escalation, self-defense training, and non-lethal weapons are plenty effective for the 99.99% of the time they don't have to use their weapon. In a recent survey, only 27% of officers said they had ever fired their weapon, during their entire career. So why are all of our cops armed, sometimes heavily? Seriously. My job is statistically more dangerous than law enforcement, but it would be seen as insane (if not illegal) for me to carry a gun on the job.

But maybe I'm missing something, because an officer kills someone who called 911, refuses to even submit a report (you know, do his job requirements), and still can't even be fired from the department. He's still on paid administrative leave, while the chief of police has resigned without doing jack ****. I doubt they'll be big enough to admit they shouldn't carry guns anytime soon.

[face_flag]

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Guns are profitable. And even though she was white, Justine Damond was a dirty foreigner so she might as well be brown in terms of her rights and status in American society.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Nah. She's pretty much being deified here. The black, Muslim, immigrant from a non-white country police officer OTOH...

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Is the officer going to jail?

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

What do you think?

EDIT: See also this post for more elaboration on the point.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.