main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. JammerPickle

JammerPickle Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 20, 2016
    Ive went to Cuba with my brother ( a priest) and my father. We stayed in Havana, at a convent, religious prosecution has driven priests out of Havana (forcefully) or worse killed. The people of Cuba live in tight compact houses built by the Spaniards, the country is on the brink of collapse as there is nowhere to live, while Castro lives in a beach front mansion. Dont let me start on the propaganda.

Actually I am the kid who mowed the white house lawn.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

In this particular case, yeah, if only because if the Air Force had done what it was supposed to do, it's likely the Texas shooter wouldn't have gotten his hands on the guns he used.

3. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

All things being equal, it is a people problem. Women are subject to the very same passions as men and can equally become as unhinged.

4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    No, I meant healthcare. There is a segment of the population, that as I recall, want socialized medicine which means it would be run by the state/federal government. But since you brought up Medicare, the hospital insurance trust last I checked is on pace to exhaust itself by 2030, but can be covered to around 85% by the current revenues from taxes until roughly 2089 leaving participants from 2030 to cover the rest as I understand it. Though, since we're on the topic of bureaucracy, there's also the reported mismanagement at the Social Security Administration in recent history including Carolyn Colvin who was the acting commissioner for some time until the change of administrations. Granted I know that the OIG doing internal investigations is not uncommon, but the SSA has been mentioned more than once in to mismanagement, misuse, fraud, and abuse of the system.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Wut? No, the statistics show that men commit the vast majority of gun crimes, and almost all mass shootings are committed by men (it's like 99%). Murder is also overwhelmingly committed by men. Violence is a serious male problem.

But, I do agree with you, America is angry. And why wouldn't it be? Gross inequality, injustice, recent severe economic problems, rapid change in culture, 9/11 and the whole War on Terror...and just look at our politicians. What a **** show. Our terrible leadership alone is enough to make someone want to punch a cat.

On top of that I think we have a very sick culture that in itself is heartless, selfish, violent, ignorant, etc...and proud of it. What we're seeing are the symptoms of that sickness. Our culture alone is enough to drive someone mad.

6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Christianity is a religion that has the same phrase in it's so-called "holy" book. The Bible is as bad as the Qu'ran in that regard.

Doesn't mean that every Christian or every Muslim takes these violent passages literally though.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

7. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    Why do you think that is so?

What is so twisted about our culture?

8. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Have you been ****ing hibernating?

9. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    While the bible has some bad passages, not nearly as many or as twisted heres one more from the quran: Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. It is obvious the quran and the bible have different definitions of "fight".

And no, not very muslim acts upon the quran, but middle eastern terrorist groups act upon its beliefs.

Me?

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

I love you, Guy.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    All this talk about Christianity vs Islam is far off topic at best, with the insinuations about Islam being “more violent” at least toeing at a violation of our hate speech policy.

“Hey look over there!” does not detract at all from the fact that the United States has a horrible issue with violence, and its access to firearms leading to a ridiculous level of mass shootings.

We need a solution that cuts the mass shooting level down to that of other first world democracies. Not excuses, not crap about what other countries some people find worse than the United States, because I don’t care. “Better than another place” is not my standard.

12. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016

I agree it was off topic, I disagree that it borders hate speech though. I only brought it up because I was questioned on it. I brought up my solutions as you can see.

13. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Nobody questioned you on Islam. What you actually did was blame the Middle East's problems on Islam being a violent religion, which does border on hate speech.

Not to mention ignores America's role in the Iranian Revolution and destabilisation of Iraq and Afghanistan.

14. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016

NO. We do not tolerate racism on TF.N

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Clearly. the solutions to gun violence involve everything except guns. Just because a few bad apples want to use a weapon for its intended purpose doesn't mean every gun owner should be punished. Good gun owners merely use them as paperweights and so forth.

16. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 and JammerPickle like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  18. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016

Self-Defense, Shooting Ranges, and Hunting. Truly no purpose.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Self-Defense: most people won't ever need a gun for self-defense, and a lot of people end up accidentally (or willingly) hurting themselves or others with that self-defense gun instead. Take some Karate lessons for self-defense, it's safer.
    Shooting Ranges: yes, let's keep guns legal - giving maniacs the opportunity to kill 26 people in a church, or 59 people at a concert - for a hobby.
    Hunting: I will give you that one, to a certain extent, as long as the hunting is well-regulated, and the hunters are well-educated and competent.

The main purpose for guns is still to kill.

20. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

How much wild pheasant do you eat Pickle?

Also, true story time. The woman that was to be my grandmother-in-law once lectured me on how guns were vital for self defence, and that she went everywhere armed. Two weeks later she was robbed at gunpoint and there was nothing she could do, even with her weapon on her hip. The deadliest weapon in the world is surprise, and unless you are a twitchy, paranoid nut that roams everywhere with your finger constantly on the trigger (In which case you are a dangerous individual who shouldn't have a gun) there is no way you can defend against that.

Which just leaves shooting ranges. So America shouldn't do anything about its gun violence problem because you think guns are fun. So okay, sure, whatever. But by that very same logic we should legalise certain drugs too, they are also used for recreational purposes.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Regarding a couple of instances in this thread: it is not OK to blame violence on race, gender or religion.

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Nearly literally a strawman

Darth Guy and Artoo-Dion like this.
  23. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    As a male, it causes me a good deal of pain to know that men have a problem with violence. I didn't respond to JammerPickle because I don't want to, but the reason for this problem isn't "men are just bad", I think continuity of male gender roles and ideas about masculinity are the reason.

JammerPickle commented that violence "isn't a people problem, it's mostly a black problem". Let's put aside the callousness and lack of clarity with which this was communicated. Let's also put aside the glaring problem the entire country has with gun violence and mass shootings. There is a problem with violence among black people. Why is that? Could it be because of systemic racism and marginalization of black people? Could police brutality of black people play a part because black people don't trust police to do their jobs? Could the widespread availability of guns be part of the problem? (the answer to these questions is yes)

It's not hate speech to say that men have a problem with violence. We do. This is not me attacking men, it's me acknowledging the problem and showing concern for my fellow men and the victims of our violence (which includes women), showing a desire for change. I don't like that men are so much more violent than women. I don't like that men are so much more often victims of violence than women. I don't like that it's a part of how we are raised. I don't like this part of our culture.

It's not hate speech to say that there is a disproportionate amount of violence committed by and against black people. This is not me attacking or demonizing black people or saying that they are more inherently violent than others, it's me acknowledging a problem and showing sorrow for so many black lives ended far too early, showing a desire for change. I don't like the fact that black people are dying violent deaths far more often than others. I don't like that its the sad result of our system that marginalizes and brutalizes black people and shows little concern for their suffering and deaths. And I really don't like that white people use "black on black crime" as a way to dismiss systemic racism and place all the blame on black people.

We have to be able to say these things because they're real and things will never get any better unless we admit that they are real. This doesn't mean we have to demonize men or black people as violent savages, as that's not necessary or helpful. It does mean that we as a society need to look for the causes behind disproportionate violence among men and black people, and we have to actually care and commit ourselves to eliminating those causes if we ever want reality to be less harsh for men and black people (and society as a whole).

Black people are well aware of violence among themselves and I'm pretty sure they're sick and tired of it. I'm not sure if men in general are as aware of the problem of violence among ourselves, but I know many of us really don't like being faced with it as often as we are, throughout our lives.

About 99% of mass shooters are male. About five times as many men die from guns than women. Etc. We need to acknowledge this, because it is not some freak coincidence. Yet men support gun control far less than women, despite the fact that it hurts us far more. Maybe men need to wake up and realize guns not only hurt more than they help, they hurt us more than anyone. And, you know, we need to care about that, we need to care about each other instead of seeing other dead men as simply "not me".

24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Some correlation to what? I don't believe you understand what you are talking about at all. I'm not convinced you even understand the words you are using.

I asked you what the link was between gun violence and adoption/fostering, as you brought it up as a solution to the American mass shooting epidemic. Your response is vague and incoherent.

So I ask again, what have adoption and foster care got to do with gun violence? Why are you so eager to ignore the 'gun' part of 'gun violence'? Explain it to me as if I'm an alien from outer space. Thanks.

25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't really commit the personal histories of mass shooters to memory, but I can't remember a single one that was an orphan.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  26. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Desired peer group defined.

Artoo-Dion likes this.