main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Dreadful, poorly trained.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    He survived, and he's probably already reproduced, so I don't think he's eligible.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Kind of sad that every time this thread gets bumped, I ask “Where did the mass shooting happen this time?” before opening it.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Alas, we all think along those lines.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    That's why they need to ban bump stocks.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    but you guys, America is not beyond saving! It can be fixed still! [face_flag]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    1776 will rise again!

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Maybe next time don't build a cult of personality around the individual. :D

10. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
  11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I used to hunt (pheasant/grouse/rabbit) with my dad in the UK from the age of 12.

I may disagree vehemently with the stupidity of the gun "laws" in the US but provided the right restrictions and oversight is in place the risk is actually quite low.

Letting a 10/12 yesr old off on their own is a big no. With a mentor it's fine.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes my school had and still has a target range for competition shooting. Guns are emphatically not the problem. Unrestricted access to them is a problem, and coupled with a nation of emotionally and intellectually immature people who believe their individual rights trump (yes, I know...) the rights of other individuals at all costs is a recipe for mass shootings, thoughts, prayers, and handwringing legislative incompetence.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I learned to shoot a .22 when I was ten, but I was well supervised.

Ender has it right. It’s the mentality and lust for guns here (the word “lust” in this context is not much of an exaggeration) that is the problem.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Ender is correct. It is like a paraphilia for guns, or something.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    maybe of interest

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Concealed carry reciprocity act allows people with a concealed carry permit in one state to carry in other states, even those with stricter concealed carry permit rules or no concealed carry allowance at all.

Among other things, this would be disastrous for domestic abuse victims. Yes, their abusers could choose to stalk them while hiding a gun whether it is legal or not, but that is no reason to make it legal for them to do so.

17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    That's unsettling. Domestic abuse is already uncomfortably widespread. I've known people who had online stalkers, but I can't imagine having a stalker with a gun.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

Most of the kids wouldn't even be teenagers now, 5 years later.

This country has shamed their memory by our inaction, and that cannot be reversed. Those responsible for leading the effort against any response have to live with themselves.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I still can't believe it's been five years. It still feels like it was yesterday.

20. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    You mean with the immediate action of the legislature and the practical steps taken to curb this epidemic?

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The kids would be 11. I know because they are right between my two, who were in second grade and kindergarten when this happened.

I remember leaving work that day and thinking that I could not get to them quickly enough.

22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    That was a heartrending day. I was just horrified that anyone would butcher a bunch of children like this. It really convinced me of the necessity of gun control.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    That day was probably the one day I actively wished the Mayan Doomsday prophecy of 2012 was real, because I could not wrap my head around the horror of 20 elementary school children just massacred like that.