main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Visitors to the U.S. Capitol should not be denied their holy Second Amendment rights.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't know. I typed up a whole lot of things I wanted to say, but I don't even really know why I wanted to say them. The shooter's a piece of ****. All of the NRA boosters, politicians and otherwise, who pretend to actually believe that banning guns wouldn't prevent this kind of violence have so much blood on their hands that they should beg forgiveness from the families of the victims every time some new atrocity like this happens. They have a lot to answer for, these people who constantly hand-wave pure facts and say ridiculous things like, "Well, he would have just used a knife if he couldn't get a gun," as if someone could wreak nearly this much havoc with anything other than a gun. Every politician you hear making the case that we don't need more gun control in the next few days is an unethical piece of **** that thinks you and me and all the rest of the American people are idiotic children. They know what they're saying isn't true. Clearly, these people don't believe in God or karma or any sort of cosmic justice of any kind; with the things they say and do without the slightest regard for innocent lives that are being destroyed, they'd better be right.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I just feel terrible for everyone who lost loved ones. And like quite a few have asked in person and on social media, I wonder when this madness will end?

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    every time this happens, as i get older, i spend more and more time thinking about the parents of these kids. what that drive to the school must feel like, especially if you can't make contact with your child. being told to go a million different places, living and dying with every rumor about a body count.

i may come across as smug and cynical about these shootings and the myth that is the "mental health conversation," but my intention is not to be an ass. i just don't know how or why this country, which so often touts itself as some sort of world leader or moral authority, tolerates a (large) percentage of its population literally saying "**** off, i don't care, hands off my guns" by their actions when this is happening to children, multiple times a week. we couldn't even ban bump stocks.

it's hard not to throw up your hands and condemn the country to ruin. i've reached out to the numbnut senators and congressman that i am blessed with in south carolina. i'm sure thousands others have, and we'll all be ignored. but keep calling.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think we should all endeavor to get our representatives to pull a Tom Cotton. When you've got your representatives so rattled that they're issuing cease-and-desist letters, you can finally know you're actually being heard.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m going to go all appleseed and Juliet here for a minute.

I don’t ****ing care if the US implodes upon itself as it seems to be inclined to do; if we are taken over by an entity which actually does not add “but...” onto the end of the sentence “Children should be able to go to school without being shot,” we will be better off.

The fact that there is a substantial voting bloc who would add “but...” onto the end of that sentence just demonstrates how completely ****ed the US is.

A few days ago mranakinfan was talking about the new requirements regarding IDs to board a plane; he has a CDL so his ID upgrades are regular, and I’ll upgrade next year, but he was looking at what sort of ID to get for the kids.

My response: Passports. ****ing passports. More expensive but maybe we can actually get the hell out of here and to a place where active shooter drills in school are not a regular practice as if we were living in a ****ing war zone.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The nra is a terrorist organization

bizzbizz, Rew, V-2 and 4 others like this.
  8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Why bother? You still hear people accuse Sandy Hook of being a hoax. So many dead children, so many dead teenagers, so many dead people, but as long as its not their dead children, well, the gun nuts don't care, and the empty words of politicians are a waste of time. How's that bump stock ban going? Nowhere I expect.

First, my sympathies to all the victims and survivors and families involved. Second, another week, another mass shooting. It'll either be a white "lone wolf" or a non-white terrorist (because you can't have white terrorists after all), same old, same old. I-) Well, what can you do about it, gun violence is like a hurricane, can't do anything about it.

(I'm being sarcastic, just to be clear.)

Maybe instead of food stamps or public education, they should hand out guns as a basic necessity of life (but not training, who needs training?). That should change things up. ...ok, that's too morbid, sorry. Its just, times like these I really wish I could move to another saner country, or at least one not so hypocritical. There's so many things to fix but nothing is ever even started.

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Sigh, still no change.

10. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Well, good news for WaPo. They just hired McMegan yesterday. Maybe she can reprise her "schoolkids need to rush shooters" take for her first column.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  11. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    My sister is a TA at a local elementary school. This could happen there tomorrow. Nobody cares. That's what the American motto should be: Nobody Cares.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    there really is a sad connection to make when it comes to the "poorly educated."

the same people that think that donald trump is looking out for "the forgotten american" think that the nra is there to protect the rights of gun owners.

trump is in office to protect his business interests, i.e. make money for himself and his kids (except tiffany), and the nra's only concern is gun sales. bending over backwards to justify any and all behavior and throwing away any ounce of morality to defend people whose only concern is making money. what a way to live.

13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

"When it comes to money,everyone is of the same religion" - Voltaire

Iron_lord, Rew, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  14. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    We really have a disgusting country and a selfish, vile culture. Of course the owners of the country don't care-private schools don't get shot up. Rich people aren't killed in gun massacres.

15. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    After 20 kids were shot dead at Sandy Hook and the US decided to do nothing, the gun control debate was over. If the lives of seven year old's means nothing to you, then no one else ever will.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Meanwhile in New Zealand...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cr...lanned-mass-killing-in-christchurch-for-allah

You're Dan Hodges? Username fits I guess...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    No, but I know him very well.

18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    From the outside looking in and the obvious reuctance the US had to put in any gun controls...... do any of these schools have any kind of armed security? Even if its just one guy. This has happened too many times now and things have to change, even it means adding some kind of armed security or possibly having any willing teachers armed too. So sad.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Many if not most high schools have a resource officer (an armed police officer) on site.

I work for a large urban school district which has its own police department.

AndyLGR likes this.
  20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    That's rather sad. A school, a supposed safe institution, requires its own police department.

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Obviously it is schools that are the problem: they've become a luxury the US can no longer afford. They should be banned.

22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Given the cuts to the education budget, we won't have to worry about banning them.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Truth. It’s getting worse and I believe it is being intentionally made worse. Deprive schools of resources then claim they are ineffective so they can be shut down. And yeah, private schools don’t get shot up.

Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I heard this but wanted to check if its true :
    Do Canadians have as many guns , per head, as the Americans ? The point being that it's therefore more of a problem to do with how americans are rather than the amount of guns .

25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    So why don't you check if it's true then?

jp-30 and CT-867-5309 like this.