main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Also, I‘m going to keep reposting this every few pages because it shows so clearly what absolute lies the gun lobby and their minions in Congress are propagating

2. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_sick][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]:oops:[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I hate to break it you, but countries have different definitions of violent crime. For example, in the UK, slapping or pushing someone is considered a violent crime; sexual offences, such as rape are considered too, where the US only registers rape as a violent crime - if a weapon is used to force a victim into a sexual act.

But, of course, we have to defend those precious firearms in the US which are more important than human lives.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    As much I heard about bullying and resulting suicides in the media, it never happened to anyone in my school. What I did see was my peers and I become self-destructive as a result of my/their parents being strict and overprotective. Concerta and similar medications also made my peers and I self-destructive. Furthermore, declining tobacco consumption, alcohol consuption, and sexual activity may be causing a loss of coping mechanisms.

School shootings happened in the past, but they were considered local news.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I guess one of my biggest questions is what has changed in the last thirty odd years. Semi automatic pistols with detachable magazines have been available since the 1890s, rifles of similar performance since the mid 1900s. Why are mass shootings a relatively recent development then? What has changed to make that happen? Even the AR-15 pattern rifle has been around since the 60s, so we haven't hit some new perfection of a killing machine. With the Internet it is easier than ever to learn how to make a gun or bomb at home. Is it the guns or the people that are the issue? As much as mass shootings make the news, suicides and gang violence compose the vast majority of gun violence.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    They aren't. The recent development is treating them as national news instead of local news.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    We've glamorized the gun for one thing.

8. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    If that's true, then it implies they are getting rarer, because news is only newsworthy by virtue of being shocking/informative.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    *NRA propaganda post that uses racism as an excuse to give people of different ethnicities an excuse to shoot each other because of course, people of different ethnicities cannot possibly get along and therefore need a legal means to kill each other*

The Florida shooter was a ****ing white nationalist, and of course, his “right” to have a gun needs to be protected.

And no, nonwhites do not need guns to shoot back, that has been established already, and Philando Castile can tell you all about what happens when a black man legally owns a gun. Oh wait...he can’t.

DC vs Heller in 2008 made a difference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

It’s also led to the police being as militarized as they are.

ETA: Meanwhile...

[​IMG]

Go kids.

Rew, V-2, Chewgumma and 16 others like this.
  10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Their generation will be the ones to pass gun control and radical change America.

There is some hope for the future.

11. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    So I mentioned this before in a previous post, but I want to know from the pro-gun individuals here. Why do you need an AR15 or other military-esque weaponry? My husband grew up hunting because the military didn't pay his father enough to keep food on the table. They never used an AR15. He claims that the only reason why someone would need an AR15 is that they are hunting people or because they have some issues.

Rew, V-2, Nobody145 and 8 others like this.
  12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Indeed and to help, we need to start working now on getting rid of politicians bought by the NRA.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So this is happening:

https://www.marchforourlives.com/

I’m waiting to see if there is a local one but DC is about six hours from me and I think I’m going to go ahead and reserve a hotel room just in case.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    An interesting article from Bloomberg:

Specifically, that ownership of guns by households in the US dropped from 47% in 1973 to 31% in 2014, according to one study... and even more interesting, another study indicates that about half the guns in the US are owned by 3% of the adult population, with an average of 17 guns per person owned by these 'super owners'.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The technical term for those in the 3% is "****ing Nutjobs."

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I prefer ammosexuals myself.

V-2, Chewgumma, Ender Sai and 6 others like this.
  17. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    People should cut the BS and come out and say what they really want to do: they want these guns to shoot other people, regardless of who they are. Shouldn't be too hard. They already came out in the open as racists and bigots when Stable Genius became President and validated their existence.

18. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    [​IMG]

V-2 likes this.
  19. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Solid argument, well-researched data, logically presented points.So glad you're here to actually discuss your viewpoint.

V-2, Chewgumma, Outsourced and 8 others like this.
  20. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Let me know if you come up, I would be willing to march with ya!

Never have I seen a gun-free zone sign and thought that. Tell me about your childhood. How did this happen that THIS is your first reaction?

21. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I like this argument. Whether the 'other people' are government bogeymen or home intruders, it still shows an intent to shoot (and kill) other humans. This could be where the true 'mental illness' lies.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The correlation between racism and gun ownership in the United States is clear, if only from the Philando Castile case alone and the NRA feeling safe in its (non-)reaction.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Presuming we survive Trump and the GOP having a stranglehold on our government.

/debbiedowner

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    When people deflect to other countries that are worse than we are, what are they saying? That we don't have a problem? That we're fine? That they're okay with the state of things?

Gun nuts whine about being ridiculed. We're in the middle of a grave epidemic, with lives on the line (including the lives of schoolchildren), and I guess they need to be asked nicely even after all these deaths. I'm sure if we just ask nicely, they'll change their minds.

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    ITT: use of wannabe military terminology yet lack of understanding that a real military response would not only include hardening the target but also degrading the enemy's capability to attack in the first place. If any casualties are unacceptable, you cannot simply harden the target and assume that armed personnel are sufficient as a deterrent or response. They aren't. An attacker will always have the initiative and the advantage of surprise. All they have to do is kill or injure one person and they "win". Meanwhile, the "target" has to ensure that everyone makes it out alive, or they "lose".

Even if teachers were armed, someone could approach the school at recess and shoot kids then. Or shoot up a bus while the kids are driving home. Or shoot them as they enter the building in the morning. And they can do this from a hundred feet away, if need be. Civilian spaces will always be "soft targets" and you cannot change that.

But let's say we do want to focus on schools and make them "hard targets": would you be willing to accept a federal tax on firearms and ammunition that would go to support school safety training, metal detectors, and bullet proof infrastructure?

Rew, Chewgumma, Outsourced and 8 others like this.