main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    @J-Rod When you were growing up, you didn't have to wonder if, when you turned around the hallway corner in your elementary school, you'd face someone with a gas mask and weapons ready to mow you down. I did. I refuse to let that be a reality for the next generation just so you (or someone like you) can go in your backyard and unload some rounds for fun. If you have a semi-automatic rifle, I want to take it from you.

The next generation will take it away from you.

The right to bear arms doesn't guarantee the right to bear all arms. That's inscribed into law already. Sorry about it.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A simplistic, outdated piece of paper holds higher value to you than you
    Err, I don't think you know how to read that chart.,

SuperWatto likes this.
  3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

So basically you're OK with being 92nd when the 91 before you are warzones (either literally or figuratively)

go 'Murica [face_flag]

4. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    I hate to be the guy that argues some murders are more acceptable than others but the gun problem in America isn’t just an issue of murder statistics. It’s an issue specifically of kids being afraid to go to school because they might be shot. A murder in a back alley, with any weapon, speaks less to societal flaws than a murder in a school, with any weapon.

That being said, there is a HUGE element of racism in the fact that this country waits until relatively white middle class students are murdered to have a serious conversation about gun control, and the fact that that conversation inevitably revolves around the weapons used in that event specifically, when hundreds of poor black kids are shot in Chicago every year. But this country assigning higher value to whiter and higher-income lives than blacker and poorer ones is an issue for another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Ppl read the news already Juliet

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    WTF?
    I didn't say that. I said, if you want to talk about Africa, let's talk about Africa.
    If you don't, don't use that argument

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    @Darth_wanderguard : I agree with you. This country certainly needs to stop ignoring or endorsing racism. But better gun control and a change in the gun culture will help everyone, including children of color who get shot in back alleys and don’t make the news.

9. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    You're right. It's 99, I can't read a chart. Sorry. http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Murder-rate-per-million-people
    That's not the point. The point is a weapons ban doesn't seem to matter. Some countries with a ban have very low rates, some with a ban have very high murder rates.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The default chart is sorted by region. The US is not 92nd per capita. JFC.

11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Make America Great Again! But not as great as Yemen please

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    TFW when you're safer at a wedding party in Yemen, but not on the streets of America.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    his post was in no way threatening of you or your family, regardless of this bizarre demand attempting to frame it as such. it was an uncomfortable hypothetical based on a stance that you have openly advertised and defended.

you should expect to be challenged on these stances, as this is not your blog.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You realize not all homicides are committed using guns right? How about we look at a more relevant chart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Guess which country is 11th overall and 18th on homicides?

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Let’s see we are 91st or 99th.

That’s not good enough. There is no reason we cannot rank at the bottom for firearm-related deaths. Other than we don’t want to, we like to make excuses, and there are people who think that “fewer gun-related deaths than war-torn nations run by the real-world equivalent of Hutts” is perfectly fine.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Guys, you're missing his point. If you take away guns, there will be 10,000+ sharpened stick related deaths per year.

Banning guns will have no effect. None.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  17. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    No the weapons ban does matter.

Access to weapons is a major reason behind why some nations have a huge reduction compared to yours and it's similar city to city/state to state.

the UK does not have an issue as its hard to get guns into the country and there are hoops to jump through to get a gun when in the country.

The US has a problem because guns may as well breed.

Mexico has an issue as a result of it's proximity to the US and it's social issues

Canada however does not have an issue as they have a fair society and gun laws, whilst it's its easy to get a gun in the US its harder to send the gun north than it is south.

Chicago has an issue as it's piss east to get a gun outside of the city and just drive in

Gun laws work when they work in tandem with

A, stopping dickheads from having a gun in the country easily
    B, Making it harder to sneak a gun into the country/city from outside of it's borders
    C, decent social care where the people citizens are looked after

those on the list with low gun crime/homicide, in the main have strong gun control and look after it's citizens.

The US does bugger all here and is a failed nation when it comes to looking after its own citizens.

Again I state that as a nation you now disgust me

18. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    J-Rod, your argumentation is rapidly becoming more and more shoddy. In the US politics thread, you go on and on about how the US is the best country in the world, and how all the other countries suck - all of them - and how only in the US you get the chance to rise to meet your true potential.

Then in this thread, you suddenly seem to be fine with listing the US among the most impoverished nations in the world.

What's it going to be? You can make one argument. You can make the other. Both can be contested. But now you're contesting yourself. Get it together man.

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Hey, at least it won't matter to the dead!

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't feel the need to look outside the US. Even if the US was the only country that existed, I'd still see a problem.

Look at our society. Either guns are a problem in the US or they're not. If you can't admit that there's a problem right now, with schoolchildren, movie goers, church goers, and concert goers getting gunned down, then I think we can move on from you.

If you think there's a problem, the next question is what to do about it. Doing nothing is unacceptable.

21. Hef

Hef Jedi Master star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    Who are you to determine what I am allowed to feel threatened by?

Is this not threatening in any way either?:

Show me where I said I would be "happy to have other people's...."

He's the one talking openly about this sick scenario, and yet both of you are trying to paint ME with that brush. Shameful.

J-Rod likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The default chart is sorted by region. The US is not 92nd per capita
    Okay, so we can established you don't know what the word "threatening means"

The only thing I've threatened is the bubble of your disgusting views, by presenting you with an uncomfortable scenario you've apparently never considered before, and you're too scared to address because it may burst said bubble.

Sauntaero, Chewgumma, V-2 and 3 others like this.
  23. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    No, @Hef, there is no threat apparent in that statement.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Feel free to feel threatened by whatever you like. You are not entitled, however, to tell others to stop discussing something that is appropriate and on-topic, just because it makes you uncomfortable.

25. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Edit: Ninja'ed by heels!

I also am interested in your answer to Diggy's question. J-Rod is at least open about being willing to trade his kids' lives for his right to own guns. What about you?