main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So what, you're saying that all those things have changed society for the worse?

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Damn those gays for getting rights!

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Had a long post that got eaten by the the link button not popping out into a new page. Oh well.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/4/3835660/video-game-burning-expert]Link[/url]

I find this burning kind of ridiculous. Naru...Naru...whatever, your argument does hinge on Little House, or at least its wholesomeness. Your argument is that since it wasn't violent then everything would be okay. The burning kind of typifies people who blame violent video games for killings while at the same time not looking at the means with which they were perpetrated. It smacks of a cognitive dissonance on a large scale in this country. I personally am coming to the conclusion that the religiosity of the majority in this country is to blame for this pattern of blaming external forces for massacres.

Guns are seen kind of as an intimate weapon of sorts--less so than swords, but with the media that's kind of external from the person. They choose to partake and slowly but surely the games corrupt their sweet innocent minds. Sure, they choose a gun, but guns are good. Guns represent protection and safety. They can't be bad. And America is blessed by god; it's even on our money. Therefore guns can't be bad. It must be those evil video games. They're not ordained by god like the constitution and the second amendment. So therefore guns good, video games bad.

Hey, it makes about as much sense as the Little House argument. Anyway, blaming entertainment for deaths is like blaming ice cream for serial killers or a sugar rush for killing a politician (actually successful in that case). If you have e means to kill and you're in a bad place mentally then you're going to do it. The gun just makes it quicker and more available and more likely to succeed than other methods.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "Media violence causes real world violence" says man with avatar from a kid's show featuring lots of explosions and gunslinging.

[​IMG]
    No you didn't.

5. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003

Gun fails, btw five minutes in someone wins the darwin award.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Ender_Sai like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    My favourite is the idiot giving his (what looks like) Browning HP to his toddler, who prompts shoots him for being a terrible dad.

Idiot.

7. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    The scary one is the guy tripping and the gun going off. I can' tell you how many hunters have shot their buddies because they tripped while walking with their guns to their spots. They didn't turn the safety off.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They're idiots. The **** has a round in the chamber when walking to or from a spot?

I hope at least 5 died.

9. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    hunters make small mistakes that cost lives. Remember all of them are taught safety but it all comes down to the moment. Always check that their isn't anything in the chamber. Its common sense but people forget. Remember we still have people that die in alcohol related deaths or while texting. You can't save the world, people make mistakes.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Not going to lie, I kind of clicked on this hoping Dick Cheney would be in this one.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This isn't confirmed or finalized yet, but after consulting with law enforcement leaders on what would be most effective, it looks like the Obama administration is going to push for...

* universal background checks (including strengthening mental health checks)

* tracking the sale and movement of all weapons through a national database

* harsher penalties for bringing guns near schools or giving them to minors

Link

Thoughts?

I that that at least the first one (universal background checks, with stronger mental health checks) should be able to gain enough political support.
    And at least the first two seem more effective than simply reinstating the assault weapons ban or a ban on high-capacity magazines.
    I really don't see how the third would be able to be enforced.

Anyways, I think we need to see more details first, and see if this really is what the Obama administration will be asking Congress for, before we can form a better opinion. At least now we know what they seem to be considering, but still, details are very important.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    What's really funny is, after watching this, going back and reading all Kimball's posts about how reasonable and well-trained and careful all civilian gun-owners are.

Juliet316, V-2, FatBurt and 1 other person like this.
  13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Why should there ever be a circumstance when you can buy a gun without going through background checks?

I'm surprised there's not already a national gun ownership database. The gun lobby are always comparing guns to cars, so how can they possibly refuse that?

It opens up the possibilities of taxation and/or mandatory gun insurance - which I favour. Tightening and toughening up the rules on illegal/unregistered guns would need to go hand in hand with that. Penalties for keeping unregistered guns should include mandatory jail time under certain circumstances, for example if an unregistered gun is kept in working condition with a supply of ammo, unlocked/unsecured. If accessible to children they should throw away the key!

I can't see how anyone would sanely or seriously argue against bringing guns near schools, CCF and bat**** NRA campaigners included.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Two state Senators here in Oklahoma, in the aftermath of Sandy Hook, tried to get a bill started that would allow them to arm teachers in schools. Even some of the most conservative nuts around here blanched at that. It went nowhere.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Please, I put nothing past NRA campaigners. The NRA is threatening to pursue legal action against the city of Tucson because of a wholly donation funded gun buyback. They won't rest until every baby in America is armed with a combination machine gun/pacifier.

16. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Just realised what I said was a bit confusing/confused.

I mean I don't believe sane/serious arguments can be made in favour of bringing guns near schools.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    To be fair, Rogue, any gun owner who takes their firearms seriously wouldn't feature in that video. Like I said, I am astounded that some jackass parent gave his kid his Browning HP, when there's a round in the chamber and the kid's like 2, 3 years old. I truly hope he came close to dying, just to teach him a much needed lesson. He's an idiot.

And as for the people who get smacked in the face due to recoil - astounding how many are pump action shotguns without a stock. Yeah, the pistol grip only approach looks Hollywood, but we've seen how well it pans out.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    *white baby

Ramza, MASTERPRENN, RC-1991 and 4 others like this.
  19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Our gov. here in Virginia is trying to get similar legislation through.:(

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That is fair; I don't doubt that many gun owners are incredibly responsible. I'm sure you are/were and I honestly think Kimball is. And I have friends who own guns and are incredibly responsible with them. The video does prove that there are gun owners out there who are incredibly irresponsible and have no respect for the power of the weapons they own/use. I don't have data on it, but I kinda think they make a significant percentage of the total too.

21. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    The majority of us are; we don't surround ourselves with cameras and ham it up to be "cool".

[​IMG]
    Physics Tested, Darwin Approved

22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Ah yes America...where if irresponsible people have guns it's perfectly all right. But when irresponsible people get their hands on something as dangerous and insidious as food stamps it's all HULK SMASH!!

[face_whistling]

23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

My thought is...I highly approve of part 1, part 2 already happens with every legal gun purchase in the country and would simply extend it to gun shows (which I don't care about, since I only buy from actual licensed brick-and-mortars), and part 3 is just a silly "Hold-Hands-and-Sing-Koombayah" rule. After all I'm sure Klebold, Harris, Cho, Lanza et. al. were really concerning themselves with the penalties bringing guns near schools.

And also....Part 3 is way too broad as presented here. Surely police would be excepted?

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    We've got a legislator here in Washington state wanting to do the same, I heard.

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    What good would an armed teacher do anyone? That has to be the most backward proposal to a gun violence problem you could get. Outside of putting tanks on the premises.

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.