main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You probably didn't see the death penalty either, meaning they're actually more civilised?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Precisely. Although people really wanted to barter with ballpoint pens instead of money, so... Maybe they know some secret we don't.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The correct use of adverbs?

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm sad to hear of her loss. So many pointless deaths originate from these massacres...including lives that would have bettered many communities.

Also, there are those who consider this a terrorist attack, since the shooter, Reinking, dubbed himself a sovereign citizen when he was arrested back in July of last year. It is hitherto unknown if that factored into his so-called motivation for this senseless killing.

Also, kudos to the hero who got the gun away.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ring-antioch-waffle-house-shooting/540123002/

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    I didn't equate the people nor their motives. They are completely different. All I did was equate their methods.

Not all civil disobedience is good and done for a good cause.

That's the point...and the only point...I was making.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Civil war and civil disobedience are not the same thing.

8. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Then why compare The Boston Tea Party, as has been done here, to civil disobedience?

After all, a Revolutionary War is as much civil disobedience as a civil war.

In fact the only difference between as "civil war" and a "revolutionary war" is the victor.

BY the way, how can this happen? Doesn't Canada have gun control laws...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/24/americas/toronto-van-investigation/index.html

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Murders still happen despite laws against murder. The idea, behind both gun control laws (which I agree will not be enough in isolation) and a reduction in the number of guns in circulation (which is what we really need to work towards) is to make mass murder less easy.

I would be in favor of van control if the literal only purpose of a van were to run over human beings or animals.

Guns have no good purpose at all outside an area in which people still have to hunt for their food, and target shooting at a range for sport.

“Defense” is still code for the ability to commit murder.

As far as the difference between civil disobedience and civil war, one is an act of nationwide violence, the other is not. Yes, people enact civil disobedience for terrible causes. The “March for Our Guns” existed, albeit not as well attended as the March for Our Lives.

12. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    As a Canadian that kinda comment p***** me off.

And I wouldn't be comparing death tolls from gun violence with the US and Canada

also who hunts with these dumb ass weapons like an Ar15?

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Boston Tea Party occurred in 1773, about two years before the U.S. War of Independence/Revolutionary War began. It was part of the prelude, but a distinct and separate event.

While the naming is partly arbitrary, it's not true that the difference is the victor. The Spanish Civil War was won by the rebel group (the Nationalists/fascists) who overthrew the Spanish Republic. The Russian Civil War was won by the sitting government (the Bolsheviks/Reds) who had overthrown the provisional government in the October Revolution against the counterrevolutionary forces/Whites.

14. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Literally, nothing wrong with that.

It's a joke. As a joke, it's fine.
    To be fair, I don't know if the military actually uses this weapon. I know for a fact that The Seals don't.

And no one in the military uses anything more that a 3 round burst. It chews through ammo too quickly and you have no accuracy.

gezvader28 likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

There's also the "English Civil War" (which actually didn't just involve England) which was won by Parliament and lost by King Charles I.
    Aren't those jokes kind of rooted in patriarchy though? People don't often make these kind of jokes about shooting their son's female prom date.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No doubt the self-proclaimed 'sovereign ciitizen' was simply engaged in a little civil disobedience at Waffle House.
    BTW, if you're wondering what sort of jail time he got for bringing a gun into the White House grounds... he got 32 hours of community service at his local church.

17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The 17th Century British Civil Wars (there were three), which ended in the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland and the British Isles under a military junta. You could argue, and some have, the Civil Wars truly ended in 1688 after the Glorious Revolution saved us from those pesky Catholics. Parliament might have claimed its sovereignty and liberty under the Bill of Rights, but the Monarch became very powerful as the Empire grow. Especially in India.

Civil and Revolutionary Wars usually result in far worse systems and create further problems down the line.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's also possible that, because the sitting government won each time after 1688, they have a vested interest in portraying post-1688 incidents as "rebellions" rather than "civil wars".

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rooted in the patriarchy, disgustingly violent and not the least bit funny. If some raging dudebro threatens to shoot my son, even as a “joke,” he shouldn’t be surprised if I file a complaint about communicating threats. And I would be highly embarrassed if my father had ever threatened to shoot anyone on my or my sister’s “behalf”.

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "As a father, I own my daughter's sexuality, and will (jokingly) threaten anyone who questions that ownership with a lethal weapon. Hilarious, ain't it?"

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly what I was gonna say. Haha daughters are their fathers' property, and they can defend them with guns like any other property. How hilarious.

22. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I think its time for American men to become men. Put down their toys roll up their sleeves. [face_laugh]

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    In fairness, a large number of American men don't own guns. But yes, there are a substantial number who do, and who find threatening people with them to be funny.

But J-Rod has made it clear that he jokes with his son about sexual harassment. So his position in thinking this funny is sadly unsurprising.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's the same joke made in Clueless, "Anything happens to my daughter, I got a .45 and a shovel, I doubt anybody would miss you." It's a father being protective of his daughter. He doesn't want anything bad to happen to her - sexual in nature or otherwise. He's obviously not going to commit cold blooded murder if something does happen. If he does commit murder, then he obviously wasn't joking, and then we have a problem.

gezvader28 likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012