main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Lt Gov Dan Patrick...Mr Guns don't kill people doors kill people...is on ABC right now trying to blame it on video games. George Stephanopolis brought up the point that other developed countries have video games and do not have the gun violence we do. Patrick's response was that he didn't know about those countries and they have a variety of factors besides.

Less doors, less video games, more teachers with guns. Oh and more God.

2. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Ugh. As Jim Sterling would say, it's like we've returned to the 90s with this blaming video games for real world violence. It just needs to stop. Evidence = 0.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Let’s be realistic that’s never going to happen.

Juliet316 and Ava G. like this.
  4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's part of the stories people tell themselves in order to avoid having to deal with cognitive dissonance. Think about how much people like him and countless others have emotionally and intellectually invested in guns. It's not that children don't matter to him (and the rest), it's that they don't matter as much. When you put it that way, it disarms the accusation from them that we say that they don't care about kids or people. Of course they care-- they just don't care as much as they do about gun ownership and gun rights.

What's easier? Calling for door control and arming teachers, or facing down the distinct likelihood that everything you've believed in about guns for decades is probably wrong?

Edit: I should have noted that there's one thing that can cause elected officials to go against their stated views, which of course is the prospect of losing their office. That rarely happens these days because of gerrymandering and the general demographics of the United States (i.e. people against guns mostly living in urban areas).

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    But sadly true.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  6. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Not with that attitude

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wouldn’t be opposed to repealing the Second Amendment but right now I think we need to focus on the fact that no right is absolute. Freedom of speech, freedom of the press and freedom of religion are guaranteed in the Constitution, but we can’t yell “fire” in a crowded theater, we can’t print libelous or slanderous material, and anyone who took literally the Bible verse that said “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live” and decided to kill all pagans, would be prosecuted.

We need to expand limitations on the Second Amendment.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

JMFC

VadersLaMent likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    When you thought people could not come up with a dumber excuse. Here they top themselves once again.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Regarding the "smash 'em into one huge ball" comment - I was expecting the next bit to be a reference to Superman IV - in which he did exactly that, but with a bunch of nukes.

Not "Indiana Jones rolling ball" instead.

Makes good points though.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’d be good with “melting them into a statue of an NFL player kneeling,” referencing a current circulating meme.

13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    US gun control will probably look like something like the old Soviet system; cities and large populated areas will have a regulated system, but rural and remote places will be left untouched (due to hunting, survival reasons or difficulty to enforce).

Regardless of what some might think, the Soviets didn't take away all the guns.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I live in an urban area. A well-regulated system for gun control here would be a damn good start, whether people in more rural areas falsely think they need to shoot deer to keep from starving or not.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Or, if I could just phrase it a bit differently, they would rather watch children die than admit they were wrong about something.

It's monstrous. Watching children and family members of dead children sob on television and coming to the conclusion that you would rather continue to watch these people suffer than embarrass yourself by admitting you were wrong about something. Monstrous. I've always been very careful about using terms like "evil." It's often used as an excuse to keep from having to attempt to see the world from another perspective or listen to someone else's argument. But I've heard the NRA's arguments. I've heard them. And they're hypocritical, nonsensical, illogical garbage. These people are more than just disingenuous, lying, smarmy, self-righteous hypocrites. I think they are evil. I think I really do.

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    In any other country with a lobby group ,as a powerful as the NRA, would be investigated for corruption and using bribes to disrupt the political process.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    YOU MEAN OBAMA THE SOVIET?

Seriously though if the ocean swallowed the US it would only suck because we'd lose a lot of great TV shows. Otherwise it would show mother nature actually does have a sense of natural justice.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    o_O

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It doesn't guarantee outcomes but it absolutely would happen. I see the myopic news over there hasn't gotten word of our banking royal commission, or its precedent, the union royal commission.

Surprising. America's normally so worldly in its news.

20. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    We're here for you.

I know how you might feel. I live in Memphis. But I'm about to return to Colorado to rejoin friends and family. You can come along!

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh, I know there have been scandals in European countries.

22. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Name two.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He can literally just hit up Google or Wikipedia (assuming he doesn't know of any). How is this a challenge to him?

Ava G. likes this.
  24. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    True. Damn the 21st century.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    @Ender Sai I know you like blaming all the problems of the world on the United States because otherwise you'd have to face the fact that the global political and economic systems in which you're emotionally invested are rotten to their cores, but I'm a bit more well-read than the stereotypical American. I'm aware that for-profit interests "corrupt" every government and every state. That's what they do.

@Ava G. "Name two"? lol, what the **** are you smoking? Ender and Danna's idealized totally-not-racist vision of the non-American Anglosphere?