main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    It's not happening. It would need 2/3rds of both the House and Senate to go forward then you need 3 quarters of the states to confirm it. Hell, the only reason the 13th-15th Amendments passed was because the Southern states weren't part of the Union at that point.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree. It’s sorta weird that my family is so against guns and I think that you should be able to have guns within reason. Say backaround checks and no semi automatic guns.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Doesn't this outright confirm the US system of government is broken and probably cannot be repaired?

I mean, it's not an epidemic but it also almost is, the gun violence (it's not an actual disease). We all mostly accept this, save for a few people in this thread who have other people's opinions on how guns are fine which they'll share with us as if they're original.

The underlying cause is a cultural disposition towards extreme individual exceptionalism, that undermines any real sense of community (so at its cause, gun violence and the stance on healthcare and welfare are siblings). There is also the aspect PG talks about; even if the state wanted to (and there's no clear indication it does), it could not legislate in a meaningful way on guns.

So a fundamental human right (no, Hef/J-Rod; I mean the right to life. Owning guns isn't a fundamental human right) is consistently abused, at risk, or deprived through persistent and apparently unavoidable mass shootings. The state cannot take actions to prevent this; however, based on the actions of other states, it is something within the state's control. Therefore is the state not failing?

Time to bring that revolutionary self-hype to the forefront Muricans!

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    2nd Amendment will not be repealed and I don't want to take your guns away.

Personally all I want is gun to be treated like cars and more as they are nothing but killing machines. A detailed background check including social media as stupid people love to show us how truly ignorant they are. A license to own one, each gun registered and a yearly fee paid. Insurance to own one. (I'm surprised the insurance companies haven't hit this one like they did making it mandatory for cars. And yearly mental health checks as mass shootings are the in thing now and not just for the sole owners but everyone in the house.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's a good thing I love you, that's all.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I would argue the wholesale abuse of the firearm, whose dominant purpose is to kill, argues more for taking them away than anything else, no?

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Probably time to make a thread about America and traveling.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Don't you ******* dare.

Ava G. likes this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think so, absolutely. but people, yourself included, are rightly being realists about the prospects of that happening. tracy is also right to point out that there needs to be a cultural shift before such a drastic measure could have any hope of being executed on a voluntary basis, without massive violence. changes to policy need to be incremental and the hope is that the change in the culture will follow. i think the main thing is to not completely give in to despair in the face of so much senseless death and a government so unwilling to address the root of the problem. frieda's solutions might only act as band-aids and more people will continue to die, but they are steps in the right direction and that imo is where the focus needs to be right now. if the attitude is all or nothing then nothing will be done.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Are there yearly mental health checks for people who drive cars tho ? .

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    No, that's why I stated gun to be treated like cars and more as they are nothing but killing machines.

We understand that cars are not made for the purpose of being killing machines. Since the ever increasing number of mass shooters in the country seem to have mental issues, perhaps this may help curtail future tragic events.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Look in practical terms, we get described as a nation with "banned guns" but the reality is not that. I owned firearms in the past. They were mostly single shot Walther KK Match rifles, the kind Olympic shooters use in competition. It was .22, single shot bolt action, and you usually had a jacket and strap and shot prone so it wasn't going to facilitate mass shootings in any way. But ownership required me to assume certain obligations, such as maintaining a compliant storage facility and demonstrating compliance to the NSW police. My father still has a bolt action .22 rifle in a Class A safe.

But we never had a gun culture to begin with. So restricting access and making it more of a privilege to own one (by increasing the barriers to ownership and requiring genuine need to be established - the biproduct of which is exponentially higher responsible ownership) was viable. The problems with piecemeal restrictions in the US are obvious - firstly, you're more likely to water them down in favour of more, not less, permissive outcomes; and two, it doesn't address the root culture. An absolute, unwavering ban would be more effective on the grounds that it's easier to add in incremental permissions from a zero tolerance standpoint than to work back to an ideal state from the current. Drastic action and all that.

13. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Agreed in spirit. But charge insurance for owning firearms, and you may as well go the extra mile and take them.

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Hypothetically, what's the worst that could happen if there was bipartisan support for fairly strong gun control in the U.S.? Would armed militias actually attempt to overthrow the government? Maybe you'd get some sort of domestic terrorist campaigns?

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    ["left wing for America" answer] You'll get the Handmaid's Tale. [/"left wing for America" answer]

No but seriously, people who have trouble spelling basic words would probably fail for the most basic of tactical manoeuvres and be wiped out in a gloriously violent second. "From my cold, dead hands..." If you say so, Bobby Ray.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Given what happened in the mid 90's with the fallout over Waco and Ruby Ridge, probably something along the lines of another Oklahoma City type bombing against federal buildings

solojones and Artoo-Dion like this.
  17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Seems likely that Paddock thought that was going to happen and well, you see the result.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I totally agree with Leona on the propoesed baby steps. We at least need to do something besides say, "Bad guys will get big guns no matter what rules we have, so **** it, no rules at all!" It's an attitude that Republicans in particular don't seem to apply to any other violent crime, curiosly.

The thing is, when people ask if we got bipartisan support what would happen... Well in reality, there already *is* bipartisan support. So it's more like, "what if we reformed lobbying and got the NRA out of congress's pockets so they might actually vote the way the people they represent want."

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_laugh]

That page will keep me going all day at work.

...where I am, like any other day in America, in danger of getting shot.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Not in so many words, no. However, we do periodic checks on things like vision. In Missouri, for example, you take a vision test at license renewal. Based on that exam, you can have restrictions placed on your license (example: it is illegal for me to drive without corrective lenses), or you might even be unable to renew the license. Likewise, people with dementia also have their licenses rescinded.

So...no, not annually. But yes, we do perform tests to ascertain if someone is a danger, with their privileges getting revoked if they’re determined to be dangerous to self and/or others.

22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The problem with the mental health checks tho is - it's so hard to define , sure if someone's been committed for something severe , but there's so many types of mental health problem , what if a teenager had some depression etc. And of course then there's the discrimination issue , people with mental health issues will say they're being discriminated against .
    it's a bit of a minefield .

I've always wondered - has anyone ever tried suing the gun makers ? You know how some people have sued manufacturers when their product was mis-used , I'm trying to think of examples but my head's not woke up yet .

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Charge the manufacturers several million dollars in damages every time their product is used to murder someone.

Yeah, I’d apply that to cars if we start having weekly incidents of people driving them through crowds à la Charlottesville.

Jedi Merkurian and Rew like this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm actually pretty fine with discriminating against certain mental illnesses when it comes to gun ownership, just as I'm fine discriminating against alcohol under a certain age, military service under a certain age, and child labor in general.

There are lots of forms of discrimination which are quite sound.

Gun manufacturers have special protections against lawsuits for misuse of a gun. They can be sued for defective products, but not for shootings. The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

I'm not very high on suing gun manufacturers for shootings, and I find this to be a particularly bad example.

Just severely restrict and regulate the gun industry. Lawsuits not required.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Perhaps certain mentally ill people should be prevented from having firearms, but absolutely not because mentally ill people are more likely to commit homicides or mass shootings (they are not). That is a distraction by the gun lobby and their supporters. Suicide is the much bigger problem regarding the mentally ill and guns.

Last edited: May 24, 2018